Author Topic: Loop attachment for Buscadero holster  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Loop attachment for Buscadero holster
« on: May 20, 2021, 09:36:30 AM »
I have made Slim Jim/California and Mexican Double loops and 3 Buscadero.  On the first Buscadero I cut in the skirt two slots (top to bottom) and on the loop- I ran each end through the slot in the skirt and put snaps on the ends to attach them together. This method seemed to pull the pouch and skirt together so closely that it was difficult to thread the belt through.  On the next two I sewed the loops to the skirt, soaked the pouch to make it soft enough to bend and run through the loops. Okay but a lot of trouble.  I think I want to go back to the slots. Another idea is to use Chicago Screws. Put one end of a Chicago screw into a hole in the loop, then put the loop on the pouch and line up things so the other end of the Chicago screw can go into the one in the loop. The only issue there is if it is hard to tighten up- the smooth end of the screw starts rotating.
In Any Event...how do the rest of you attach the loop(s)?

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Loop attachment for Buscadero holster
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 11:41:38 AM »
Do you have any photos of what you are describing? It would help to determine your needs.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 12:26:10 PM »
I agree with Marshall. Photos would indeed help. There are several ways of doing straps/loops. The slots seem to work nicely if done properly and there is also the Dodge City style which I really like also.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:51:44 PM »

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 09:00:04 AM »
Well I did the slots.  Here's why.  If I had used Chicago Screws or Harness rivets with the entire loop in front of the skirt- there are 2 rivets per loop or 4 contact points.  This sort of makes the pouch and skirt separate components however with the slots the skirt is pulled tighter to the pouch and sort of supports it, much more like a Mexican Double loop- so I went with that.  I sewed the ends of the loop together on back- crisscross on the inside and top to bottom lines in a groove on the outside.
SORRY on the photos- I am sort of out of date on how to post any photos.

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 09:03:45 AM »
And...one more thing. I am calling this a Buscadero but to me the Buscadero holster is fit to a belt with a downward tab that has a horizontal slot slot through which the skirt is inserted.  What I've made is more like a Mexican Double loop except it has two loops attached. The reason- I laminate the leather and it can be difficult to fit a thick holster pouch through the loops. To me, the Mexican Double loop is best with just a single layer/thickness of leather.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 10:47:22 AM »
That does explain it a little more. Glad to hear you got it done to your liking.

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 10:24:05 AM »
First-sorry I don't know how to post photos.  I went with two slots in the skirt through which thew loops run.  The outward appearance is similar to a Mexican double loop except the loops run through the slots and the loop ends are sewn together in back.  The skirt can be more narrow than that of a Mexican Double loop.
\Mechanically, I double over the leather so the pouch is in place over the skirt and then feed the ends of two loops through their slots.  I then run the thread through all the holes while the ends are apart- to make it easy to do- and then tighten up everything. Each end has 5 holes. Starting at the bottom, the middle of the thread is behind the loop ends and the needles go from behind the ends out. Each needle then heads toward the opposite hole passing over its end but then UNDER the opposite side and back out the opposite hole. Each end then travels up its own side and into the next hole and across to the opposite side and out that hole. The top is finished the same as the botto0m with a square knot and the tags pulled under the loop and cut.  The finished effect is a horizontal stitch at the top and bott0om and two parallel lines running top to bottom between them. It looks a lot better than horizontal lines or crisscrossing lines. I really do wish I knew how to post phots- got to work on that.
   Why did I make this holster????  It's hard for me to find thick leather that works best for a Mexican double loop.  So I use barge cement and glue on a backing of thinner leather.  This makes a nice stiff piece of leather but it can be hard to bend and feed through loops of the Mexican design so I went with the buscadero BUT this holster goers over a regular cartridge belt- not the Hollywood low gunslinger style.  I used vinegaroon (sic?) to dye the leather as it doesn't bleed out when wet- as this is a working holster that will be used.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 12:37:57 AM »
You have a workable course of action, there. Sounds good.

If you want to post photos, here's a link to our thread on how to do it.

Posting Photos

At the top of the forum page, there's a link to our FAQ thread which has a lot of how-to and other helpful information. You may want to go through it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com