Author Topic: AWA firing pin replacements  (Read 992 times)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
AWA firing pin replacements
« on: November 23, 2020, 03:30:16 PM »
A friend has a pair of AWA single actions that will no longer reliably set off primers. Inspection showed that both firing pins are peened to the point of being shortened, one is worse than the other. Since neither of us can weld, is there a replacement firing that will work in an AWA? I was also surprised that both pins would retract slightly into the hammer, furthering the problem.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: AWA firing pin replacements
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 04:08:53 PM »

Hi Six  :D

There may be a "Depends" in here somewhere (no, not the package depends).  The original AWA guns were made by Armi San Marco.  For all practical, they are a dead ringer for a Second Gen Colt.  The later AWA Ultimate are not ASM sourced but were still built PRETTY Much as a Colt Replicant.  SO:

The firing pins are retained in the same manner, with a cross pin through the hammer and through a small notch in the firing pin.  You should be able to source Pietta Firing Pins, Original type Uberti Firing Pins, or even Colt Firing Pins.  There can be a SMALL amount of firing pin movement on the cross pin which is normal.  It is also possible the cross pin is beginning to wear. 

Since you cite the Firing Pins are mushrooming, I am certain the guns are ASM guns and Pietta Firing Pins should fit.  Check availability with VTI Gunparts.  Be certain to also order new cross pins.

Hide and Watch

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 05:13:45 PM »
Thanks, Coffinmaker, VTI did indeed have the parts and we should have my friend guns ready for the last match of the year. Never saw any firing pins peen that badly.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:45:17 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com