Author Topic: Muster Musings  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Muster Musings
« on: July 06, 2020, 07:49:27 AM »
After my Expansion Era Long Range Rifle performance, I've ordered a couple of sight screws in an effort to take that monkey's football away from him.

I believe my favorite quote of the weekend was from the Brigade Chaplain at the banquet:  "I'm the only reason this table isn't being struck by lightning!"

Had a great time again this year, especially visiting with all you folks I only get to see once a year!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: Muster Musings
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 08:16:31 AM »

I believe my favorite quote of the weekend was from the Brigade Chaplain at the banquet:  "I'm the only reason this table isn't being struck by lightning!"

Hi, I can probably take some of the credit for that one.  I only came with so much couth and I don't like to waste it.  Actually that may  have been during the Thunderstorm though...
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 03:09:07 PM »
Hi All,
It was my first and the Good Lord willing (and the creeks don't rise) it will not be my last.   It was a very interesting shoot, and a great place to do it in.   Can we order less storms though?   I was lucky that I had pulled the clothes I would be wearing out the night before and stashed them a couple of feet up.  Everything else was wet.   Seeriously had a blast and Dan did the hard court press on getting a uniform on our ride back south.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:22:22 AM »

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 05:03:13 PM »
Great to hear!  If you know what guns you want to shoot, there's a lot of knowledge around here as to what uniforms go with it.  Even with some of the more bizarre stuff........of course, doing the research is a lot of the fun!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 09:21:32 AM »
Hi

I need to finish out my Spanish American War and Philippine Insurrection stuff, but I started down the list of allowed rifles and tried to match them with an actual war of some sort.  I'll post that tonight.  I'm not that far, but it's a start.

Jerry, how high does the water get down in the Navy Camp?  Less wind, already an outhouse there.  Mogorilla, we had 2 of those this year, but the one last year for the banquet was worse.  Quickfire couldn't get the truck up the hill, I had to dry clean the mud out of my uniform dammit.  I fell up the hill twice, I ain't EVER fallen up before either.

Note in the be prepared concept, always keep a fresh flashlight in your dress blues.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 10:11:58 AM »
Hi All,
It was my first and the Good Lord willing (and the creeks don't rise) it will not be my last.   It was a very interesting shoot, and a great place to do it in.   Can we order less storms though?   I was lucky that I had pulled the clothes I would be wearing out the night before and stashed them a couple of feet up.  Everything else was wet.   Seeriously had a blast and Dan did the hard court press on getting a uniform on our ride back south.

I need to find the tornado aftermath pictures from last year, if I hadn't seen it and the debris had the right pattern, nobody would have know it.   
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 12:48:16 PM »
Jerry, how high does the water get down in the Navy Camp?

Well, the Navy being the Navy, it doesn't really matter since if the water gets too high they can just float down stream. That being said, I can't really recommend that particular camp site. Besides, next year there will be targets scattered about where the Navy's camper was this year.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 02:07:49 PM »
Dang it.   :'(

That would have been the least windy campsite too.  I'm considering getting a big A-Frame, but I doubt that anything will handle a Thunderstorm on the hill top.  My dome tent got a lot of water blown in and it was zipped up all around last year.  I got some in this year but was camped between two trucks. 

Ned, Larry, Troy and I were discussing that one of the better parts of Muster is setting around the camp deciding when we'll need to get in the tents so we're less likely to get struck by lightning.  Can't do that at the Wildlife Inn as well. 

Where's the Navy putting in the mobile command post next year then?   :)

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »
I need to find the tornado aftermath pictures from last year, if I hadn't seen it and the debris had the right pattern, nobody would have know it.

Dang thing stole my tea bags out of my tub but at least left the lid plus it moved the eggs but didn't break them, the eggs were by the cooler.   I saw the funnel on the other side of the fence in a couple lightning flashes, lifted the back of the pickup up several times, wish I could of got video, had to be one of the smallest ones ever'
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 05:09:41 PM »
I was further down in the hole than usual, next year I'll be up in the cleared mowed area where I was last year, and were we normally set up the benchs and racks for stage 4.  It's still a great place, out of the wind and above the water table.  The place were you park for stage 4, just above the porta john.  More than welcome to set up.  Somebody had their big trailer there this year.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 05:14:54 PM »
Remember the snow squall that blew through in June?

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 06:57:46 PM »
MJS, it has been our experience in some past Musters that the period tents, properly set up, handle the weather just as well if not better than the nylon domes. This does not necessarily apply to just tarps for shade. They might be called a rain fly, but they're also "wind flies" because they do. I noticed this year, seems the nylon tents outnumbered the canvas by at least 2-1

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 07:15:17 PM »
Snow?!  Dang why was that not this year?  I am totally built for that, more yeti than gorilla.   My tent (canvas) did well, but lined up perfectly for rain to blow in.   Thus all was soaked.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 07:16:07 PM »
Hi, yes, but last year Drydock's went down, but my dome (that has a full rain fly) stayed up fine.  I did get water blow in.  On the other hand, we did camp at the top of a hill and then wondered why it seemed windy.    :)

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »
My "A" tent handled several windstorms no problem at all.  (Hail, EVERY DAMN YEAR!) The 2018 storm was simply one for the books, nothing stood up to that.  Get the "most popular" 9' by 7' with flaps at both ends, and sod cloths.  Highly recommended.  https://fcsutler.com/fccanvas.asp

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 06:40:22 AM »
Fall Creek is where my 9' by 6' with flaps at both ends came from and sod cloths.   Good people to deal with.   Have thankfully discovered ridge pole sleeves from Blockade runner too.   Mine just arrived Monday.   

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 06:16:32 PM »
I believe that the bigger wedge tent that Drydock had allowed for a cot crossways across the back wall, leaving lots of open floor space. Mine is one of the smaller ones, I don't use a cot at all in it, since it would almost have to be in the center of the tent. But a twin size inflatable mattresses fits just fine down one side.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 07:23:42 PM »
Yep, cot across the back worked real well. 

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 05:29:41 PM »
My "A" tent handled several windstorms no problem at all.  (Hail, EVERY DAMN YEAR!) The 2018 storm was simply one for the books, nothing stood up to that.  Get the "most popular" 9' by 7' with flaps at both ends, and sod cloths.  Highly recommended.  https://fcsutler.com/fccanvas.asp
I have one. BTW, it was Drydock's.  ;)
It stood up to the storm very well.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 12:58:29 PM »
Any still photos out there?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com