Author Topic: Taylor Conversion Cylinder for Pieta 58 Remmie  (Read 6269 times)

Offline Guage Rod

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taylor Conversion Cylinder for Pieta 58 Remmie
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:59:34 AM »
I am not sure this is the right location to discuss this topic but I believe there are more "remmie" experts on this forum than any other.  My question is this.  Has anyone other tham me noticed that if you do not cock the hammer back with serrious authority, the Taylors conversion cylinder does not lock in the bolt latch at the correct location with a Pieta 58 remmie repro?  I have not live fired the gun since I got the Cylinder this Christmas and the range has been covered in snow and ice.  I have dry fired the gun with the coversion cylinder in it, and when it is lightly cock, and is out of battery it will not hit the firing pin which is good, but is there a week spring in the bolt, or in the spin pawl arm am I over looking something.  Is there a longer spin pawl arm on the market?  I have dismanteled the gun, cleaned all of the parts, stoned any areas that have galling, and still have a problem with the bolt totaly engaging except when I cock the gun with authority. This could cause a bit of a problem when on the firing line if the cylinder does not spin and lock in position, not only that I do not want there to be a problem with lead shaving or worse, should the thing fire out of battery! ??? :-[ :'( 

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Via Con Dios   

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
Re: Taylor Conversion Cylinder for Pieta 58 Remmie
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:15:58 AM »
I had a similar problem with one if mine ..here`s what you need to try , point the barrel down at the floor  and cock the hammer fast ...check and see if the cylinder locked up right ?? ok now point the barrel up at the roof and fast cock , check the lock up ?
If the cylinder locked up tight when you pointed the barrel down ....But failed to lock up when pointed up , the problem will be the hand (paw) spring ...the simple fix is to bend the spring back a little ..but care must be taken doing this , these springs break easy .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:05:16 AM »
Be very careful with dry firing the RandD cylinders.  The pins are easy to misshape.  I hope you are at least using snap caps when you dry fire.  With regards to Taylors and RandD cylinders,  they will actully fit your cylinder to the specific gun you buy from them if you tell them you want them to do it before they ship it to you.  I have done this with the last few guns I have bought from them and it has worked out well.  Their gunsmith is very accomodating.  Regards.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:42:24 AM »

Offline Guage Rod

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 01:13:03 PM »
Deadeye, Sundance, thanks for the advice.  I see not is my pistola giving me problems but my proof reading skills are not so hot, I will change that on the orriginal post ;D :-\

I will try the positional cocking pointing up and down (with the gun empty of course).  I did try and bend the spring on the pawl out a small bit already but it might be worth a try again. 

I may wind up doing like Deadeye suggested, and try sending the gun into Taylors.  Or I may order a replacement pawl arm/spring from vti first. 

I will try and report back I, If I get time.  Seems like right now all I have time to concentrate on is getting My Tax Return filed. 

Thanks and Via con Dios!

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 10:13:49 PM »
I am not sure this is the right location to discuss this topic but I believe there are more "remmie" experts on this forum than any other.  My question is this.  Has anyone other tham me noticed that if you do not cock the hammer back with serrious authority, the Taylors conversion cylinder does not lock in the bolt latch at the correct location with a Pieta 58 remmie repro?  I have not live fired the gun since I got the Cylinder this Christmas and the range has been covered in snow and ice.  I have dry fired the gun with the coversion cylinder in it, and when it is lightly cock, and is out of battery it will not hit the firing pin which is good, but is there a week spring in the bolt, or in the spin pawl arm am I over looking something.  Is there a longer spin pawl arm on the market?  I have dismanteled the gun, cleaned all of the parts, stoned any areas that have galling, and still have a problem with the bolt totaly engaging except when I cock the gun with authority. This could cause a bit of a problem when on the firing line if the cylinder does not spin and lock in position, not only that I do not want there to be a problem with lead shaving or worse, should the thing fire out of battery! ??? :-[ :'( 

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Via Con Dios   

I don't know if anybody said this to you but....don't dry fire these guns...you will ruin the firing pins....next,remove the blue on the cylinder pin and make sure you have plenty of lube on the cylinder pin after you remove the blue,olive oil works real good and is cheap. I just covered this topic on another thread....a problem with the 1858 Remy's and the R&D cylinders and it's not the fault of the R&D cylinders either....happens with Pietta's and Uberti's
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 06:53:47 AM »
I don't know if anybody said this to you but....don't dry fire these guns...you will ruin the firing pins....next,remove the blue on the cylinder pin and make sure you have plenty of lube on the cylinder pin after you remove the blue,olive oil works real good and is cheap. I just covered this topic on another thread....a problem with the 1858 Remy's and the R&D cylinders and it's not the fault of the R&D cylinders either....happens with Pietta's and Uberti's

See above.   ;)
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 05:09:45 PM »
See above.   ;)
Missed that one...sorry! i read his post and did a reply...oops
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Guage Rod

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 05:12:11 PM »
Avacado, thanks for the advice on the firing pins and on the polishing of the cylinder pin.  I will polish the pin and lub and try using snap caps.  Funny thing is I have them in another gun but forgot I had them :o ::)   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com