Author Topic: US Army Museum opens  (Read 666 times)

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
US Army Museum opens
« on: November 30, 2020, 09:19:58 AM »
Most of you are probably aware that the US Army Museum at Fort Belvoir, VA opened on Veteran's Day.  I paid a visit about a week later.  I spent about 2 hours doing a quick run through to get a feel for what they had, but will be returning to focus on specific periods, such as the Spanish-American War and Philippine Insurrection, post-CW Army, and the Cold War (which is when I was serving). 

The Museum is located on ground outside the gated areas, so access is very easy.  At the moment, the Museum requires visitors get a timed ticket so as to control the number of people visiting.  These tickets are free and can be acquired online. 

The Museum is divided into several halls: Founding the Nation (Revolution, 1812); Preserving the National (Civil War); Nation Overseas (Spanish-American, Philippine Insurection, etc), Global War (WWI, WWII, Korea), Cold War (mostly on the Army in Germany); Changing World (Iraq, Afghanistan, etc); and Army and Society.  There is also a Army Action Center (virtual experiences), Theater (being used for a retirement ceremony while I was there), Cafe, Museum, Experimental Learning Center, Medal of Honor Experience and Garden, Veteran's Hall, and special exhibits (Nisei Soldiers right now). 

There is a small exhibit of the US Army during the Plains Wars.  There is an infantryman and mounted Buffalo Soldier, along with a number of weapons and related equipment.  I tried taking some photos but was defeated by the glare of several lights reflecting off the glass.  I'll try again next visit. 

All the exhibits focus on the US Army and the only foreign items are captured weapons, equipment and personal effects mostly brought home by veterans.  I noted that there was actually very little on the Confederate Army, except one exhibit on West Point graduates who left the US Army to join the Confederacy. 

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: US Army Museum opens
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 09:45:14 AM »
Sounds fantastic!

When and if I get back to Virginia to visit family, I'll try to take it in.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 02:39:28 PM »
Sounds fantastic!

When and if I get back to Virginia to visit family, I'll try to take it in.

RCJ

And when (not if) you do, let me know.  We have guest quarters available. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:36:46 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com