Author Topic: Twist Finish Barrels?  (Read 3480 times)

Offline cowboyjared

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Twist Finish Barrels?
« on: May 18, 2014, 07:40:27 PM »
I recently traded in a guitar for a 1892 Eclipse Giant SxS shotgun. On the barrels it says Twist Finish, from what Ive got online it is another name for a Damascus barrel. Which means that it cannot shoot modern loads, now is it safe to shoot black powder loads, the guy I got it from said to shoot smokeless powder rounds, or is not even safe to shoot. Now my next question is in mounted shooting they use some reducers to shoot 45s out of it, now would this be safe to use it for that purpose. I just dont want to blow my own head  or my horses off.

Offline FlyingZebra

• High Desert Coal Burner
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Twist Finish Barrels?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 08:29:06 PM »
Typically when a barrel reads "Twist Finish" "Damas Finish" etc, they are not actually damascus, but pattern etched to resemble damascus.  The damascus was much more expensive to produce than the cheap fluid steel found in the low grade guns.

High quality damascus from the 19th century is amazing material.
I've owned numerous double guns and double rifles with damascus tubes, which I've shot and hunted with at standard operating pressure.  Still own and run a few.

Condition is everything.
if it's fit to run, give it a go.
if you're not qualified to make the decision, find a properly qualified gunbuilder or gunsmith to make an assessment.
STORM #411

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »
Back up a bit further...

Does it have 2-3/4" chambers or does it have 2-1/2" chambers?

Quite likely it is 2-1/2" chambers.

If you put a 2-3/4" shell into it, it will fit, but there is no room for the crimp to open and the pressures will be thru the roof.

So, if it is 2-1/2" chamber, you are talking a handload only gun.

You can use brass hulls, or you can cut the crimp off a star crimped hull to shorten the hull to 2-1/2", load it (possibly with light BP charges), and roll crimp it.

The barrels may not be Damascus, but instead be twisted steel that was hammer welded around a mandrel. I don't know how safe one of those is... no idea at all. I don't know if it was safe when it is made, nor would I have any idea how much it had deteriorated since it was made.  I definitely would not go sticking a modern round into it though.

I would think that with some reducers and mounted action loads (which I believe are really just blanks), you would be in fairly safe territory.

Rick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:03:22 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com