Author Topic: Experimental Trapdoor Rifle  (Read 6109 times)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Experimental Trapdoor Rifle
« on: July 03, 2011, 01:35:53 PM »
On a recent episode of Pawn Stars a gent brought in a 5th Model Burnside Carbine, which he sold to Rick for $1,200 (in excellent condition, it probably is worth about $2,500-$3,500). The other rifle, which Rick wasn't interested in appeared to be a Trapdoor Springfield, but with a thumbpiece that stuck out to the side more than normal, and had a round know on the end of it.  I know there were a number of experimental models made, but can't find anything in my references.  Anyone have any idea about it?
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Experimental Trapdoor Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:21:23 PM »
I remember that episode.The action wasn't a Springfield but some other type action used to convert ML muskets to breachloaders,there were many of them.To me it would have been of more interest than the Burnside.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
I remember that episode.The action wasn't a Springfield but some other type action used to convert ML muskets to breachloaders,there were many of them.To me it would have been of more interest than the Burnside.

Yeah, me too!  (Of course I've got a couple of Burnsides, both in "battle used" condition, which I picked up from two different dealers at the same collector's gun show years ago.  They are eight digits apart!  One has had the barrel cut off a couple of inches, and the front sight re-attached, but it shoots good!)  OTOH, that trapdoor, whatever flavor, would have been interesting. Shame we couldn't get a closer look at it.  Didn't even say what caliber it might have been.  :(  Fifty-eight rimfire? Fifty-seventy?  Oh, well....
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:47:02 PM »

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 05:39:13 PM »
Wish I had some good shots of the action and lock area of that one. I'm sure it could be IDed.I was not real impressed with the "expert".He and the pawn shop guy just kind of relegated that conversion to the worthless category where in reality it may have been worth as much or more than the Burnside.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:50:07 PM »
I don't think so but it's been quite awhile. I seem to remember it looked closest to a Snider type conversion where the block swung out to the side.The thing that attracted me was it looked in high original condition.

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 06:04:51 PM »
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 05:51:15 PM »
Great looking rifle and the video was pretty great ... Now I got to do a search to learn more, not sure how much more this old brain can hold without exploding.  ;D
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 10:43:42 AM »
was it one of these?
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=108652

Dot's der vun!  As I mentioned, there was no mention of the caliber, but the thumbpiece looks right.  What would that be worth?  Probably NOT as much as I would have thought.  I still think that anyone in Las Vegas would do better going to a Beinfield antique gun show they hold at least once a year. Of course, you'd still wind up selling to a dealer who would need to turn the gun to make a profit. But you might still get more than at the Pawn Stars shop.

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Wild Wendy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 12:53:25 PM »
If I'm correct, the rifle in question is one of four experimental Model 1868 rifles from the Springfield Armory.  They never went into production, and never had a cartouche stamped into the receiver.  And if it is oneof those Carbines, it's worth over $18,000
My reference for this conclusion is : http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/m68.html

Hope this answeres the question.  What may have thrown off their "Expert" is the lack of a cartouche or any other proof marks.

Oh, I forgot to ask. Does anyone know which season and episode the rifle in question was shown in?

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 08:30:07 AM »
  "it looked closest to a Snider type conversion where the block swung out to the side."
I once saw a rifle where the lever would swing a block out the side and I believe that it cocked the hammer.  It was British and was called a
Schofield.  A few of them were manufactured for the trials where the Martini was selected as the standard rifle for the British army.  After the trials they were sold to a seal hunting company who gave them rough service.  Remaining examples in poor condition go for 10000 pounds.
Regards
Colt

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com