Author Topic: An excellent paper cartridge kit. And some other stuff for paper cartridges.  (Read 7969 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Thanks!  For various reasons, that was an unofficial theme for our house in college.   It was a bit before my time, but you regularly heard Steppenwolf on the stereo there.   I find when I say it now many do not know it.   Sadly I said "and the all moved away from me on the Group W bench" when a girl busted out laughing.   Kick to the groin when she followed with "That is my dad's favorite song"

Ouch.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Life is cruel sometimes. I try to pass on some classical experience to my son's. They know Thanksgiving means Alice's Restaurant, and they can taunt you with Your Mother was a hamster, and your Father smelled of Elderberries. Nothing important, but it's a start  ::)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: An excellent paper cartridge kit. And some other stuff for paper cartridges.
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2020, 12:31:25 PM »

And now he does have formers for the big iron.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: An excellent paper cartridge kit. And some other stuff for paper cartridges.
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2020, 08:12:36 PM »
Ordered the formers w/funnel when I got home tonite, an hour later got an email that they shipped. Wow!

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2020, 07:30:30 AM »
I shot 40 a couple of weekends ago in my .44 Dance.  It was at the Jesse James Farm Shoot.   I did have some residue in the chambers, but had 100% ignition.  I put lube over the balls on every other cylinder.   There was no fouling issue at all.  During cleaning, I noted there was less residue in the chambers.    I will definitely continue with these.   I normally load up a bunch of 1 dram vials with 25 grains of BP.  I would estimate loading with the paper cartridges cuts loading time by 60%.   
Caveat, when doing this, remember to cap your gluesticks when done.   They do not work so well when you come down two days later to make more cartridges and have dry sticks. 

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2020, 12:16:51 PM »
I shot a GAF match with my .36s this last weekend, no problems at all.  I was using the Eras Gone Colt bullet, dip lubed, and they ran just fine.  I was surprised that there was much less powder fouling in the chambers than with naked powder. 

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2020, 01:00:41 PM »
Did you have any paper residue between shots?    I pulled some out.   

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2020, 02:50:16 PM »
I only checked when I cleaned at the end of the day.  Most of the chambers had a paper ring at the bottom, but never more than one, it never affected ignition.  No build up, just the one ring.  This is with cigarette paper. 

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I was finding rings.  Removed them when I looked, but had 100% ignition.   

I have made a couple of cartridge boxes for the 44, which means it is easy, especially since I do not have a drill press.    I used a 1/2" paddle bit.  I have not found a 15/32" one, it would be a tighter fit.    The 1/2 inch works well for spacing.  I use scrap 1 x 4 (5.25" in lenghth) and slice an inch off length wise.   Mark the centers of the holes every 3/4 of an inch.   It puts a 1/2 of wood on each end and 1/4 inch between each hole.  I drill holes in the main piece of wood to 3/4" depth and 1/2 in the inch wide piece.   They should line up.   I had white linen scrap, so I made a 1.5 inch strip and glued to the back of both pieces as the hinge.   I used scrap folders to make a sliding "box"    I like to clean up old labels in my spare time.  So I have a couple of options.  You can print with a parchement background in word.  I have also printed on old grocery bags that were cut to 8.5 x 11.   Laser printers do not like the grocery bags, toner flakes off eventually.

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Those are really neat Mogorilla. Stupid question, but would the last one from Hazards be the correct one found on cartridges from Colt cartridge works, or was that a different one?

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
NEVER MIND...duh... should really wait to ask questions til I’m fully awake,lol. Just read the label closer.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Dustin now has an Etsy shop:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/GunsOfTheWest

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Since Cartridges and primers are as rare as frog hair, I have been taking stock.  I realized I am good on caps, powder and lead balls, so I have been making cartridges.   I have monitored prep and all things involved and really feel I am down to 3 minutes a cartridge.   This is from packet of rolling papers to final ready to shoot cartridge.   I am pretty sure if you factor in depriming, cleaning cases, resizing, etc, that is much faster than my single stage reloader.  If you get one of these (they are the bees knees), I recommend getting the Raw cigarette papers.   I think they work the best and are somewhat thinner than Zigzags.   They are readily available on Amazon.   I plan on getting 250 of the 44 made before trying my hand at the 36.   

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
If I get the length right so I don't have to trim the bottom, I think I can do the twist top round ball cartridges under 2 minutes. Been making Dragoon rounds.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Ran out of papers.  just got some of the RAW ones last night.   Opting to wait while I get a hole punch as my hand cutting stinks!    I think I may try a hand again on the .36s.   I have 200 44 ready to go.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Thanks for link.
Ordered the .36 cal kit from Dustin.

I had tried paper cartridges before, from cigarette papers, but it was leaving charred paper in the chambers that DID block ignition after a couple of stages.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Received the .36 kit today. Excellent! I have the video memorized by now.

Promptly turned around and ordered a 4-pack of replacement papers. The sleeves aren't the issue, it's the convenience of those nicely cut circles for the end papers.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I just located a local source for the Raw brand papers and ordered a 3/4" hole punch from Amazon.   I have a day off tomorrow and plan on making a few boxes to carry the finished cartridges.   

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I've found a 5/8" punch works best for the .36s.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com