Author Topic: Am I going nutz?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Am I going nutz?
« on: August 03, 2020, 10:07:53 PM »
So I was just cleaning my guns after a match this weekend. When got to my 1860 Henry I ran a Windex soaked patch (1/4 paper towel on a slotted jag) and imagine my surprise when it came out clean. Hmm I thought, I have seen weather cause my guns to foul a lot and not foul so much so I loaded another patch, squirted it with Windex and proceeded to swab the bore. Again it was clean. I thought, I'll get this, and I installed a bronze brush and swiped it up and down the barrel about 10 times. Then another paper towel patch soaked in Windex and it was still clean!!!

It was at that point that I noticed I was cleaning my smokeless '66 short rifle.😯😯

This not shooting every weekend is making me loose my mind! ??? ???

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Am I going nutz?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 09:46:36 AM »
 :)  WB Willy   ;)

Have you considered acquiring one of those Military Surplus Mind Detectors??  Handy that can be.

Although, I have to admit something similar but different.  I have Multiple Henry Rifles.  One has had a problem almost since day one.  It runs fine with cartridges but would really Balk when empty.  Finally ordered up the parts to fix it.  Piece of Cake.  Easy Peasy.   ::)

Suddenly realized I had just disassembled the WRONG Henry.  Very annoying that.  Don't know why I'm admitting that little Faux Paws.   :o

EDIT:  I FORGOT.  Probably, but not about that.   ;D

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 09:58:45 AM »
Willy,

Pause, take a deep breath, and look at the section you posted in. The "Darksider's Den". Think black powder, charcoal, sulfur, etc. Your problem lies in that "smokeless" thing you mentioned. Just load black powder in everything and everything falls into place. (typed with tongue planted firmly in cheek - well, sort of)

Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:05:13 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 10:43:08 AM »
Hey WBW ya can't go somewhere ya already are.
 ::) :P ;D
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 07:14:29 PM »
Hey WBW ya can't go somewhere ya already are.
 ::) :P ;D
wM1
Miss you guys.  Hope you and STB are doing good.

Willy

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 07:02:03 AM »
We are doing pretty good Willy. Headed for the NW Regional in the morning with a couple of stops on the way. How is every thing back there? I heard Captain Morgan Rum passed. Very sorry to hear that, we always enjoyed his matches before and after the shooting.
Be well and stay safe.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 02:52:39 PM »
That heathen fad smokeyless powder don't foul much, but it don't smoke, make flames and surprise the onlookers.  FWIW, I'm off to Squinty Eye for their annual shoot soon.  Once again it'll be all honest holy black in all my guns.  Clean up after shooting Big Lube® boolits is a snap.  Spritz of moose milk and a tug of the bore snake and they sparkle.

Hold center!

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com