Author Topic: Late model Uberti #3 Third model Russian: BP load.  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Late model Uberti #3 Third model Russian: BP load.
« on: May 24, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »
(21 May) FWIW, today out on the farm I ran 24 rounds of Black Powder .44 Russian thru my Uberti #3 Third Model Russian top break, with no binding.

This bullet:  http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-215C-D.png

90/10 Beeswax/olive oil lube: pan lubed, bullet unsized.  Bullets drop .430.

20 grains Olde Eynesford 3f

WLP primer

Starline .44 Russian case.

Cylinder still spun free at the end.  This is a later model that does not have the Cylinder beveled.  I've tried several combinations, this one is by far the slickest.  All rounds hit in a 4 inch circular group at 10 yards.  Greasy muzzle and cylinder face.

(24 may: Did 40 rounds today,  no binding.  rested the barrel this time, got a 3" round group.  Humidity over 75%, but I think this is a good match load now)

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Late model Uberti #3 Third model Russian: BP load.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 03:36:14 PM »
The break tops are infamous for fouling.  Looks like you have the problem licked.  Thanks for posting.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 03:58:28 PM »

:)  A Funny Thing happened on the way to the Forum   ;)

As a Gunplumber my primary focus has always been on the "mechanical."  Finding the things wrong mechanically and making them not-wrong.  With years of this experience, it is often easy to find fault with the ammunition being fed to a specific firearm.  Usually it's painfully obvious, like trying to feed and Toggle Link rifle with Semi-Wadcutters.

The latest iterations of the S&W Break Top revolvers, have had an obvious "FAIL."  In their haste to pander to whiners, the all altered the base design layout of the Original Sample Example.  They all, without exception, lengthened the Cylinder to accept 45 Colt.  This eliminated a necessary part of the gun.  THE GAS RING in front of the cylinder was eliminated.  The gas ring was a NECESSITY and not one of those "nice to have" things.  I have always known the Replicants had the same failing and did NOT play well with BP nor Subs.  What is this all about you wonder.  Me too.  Oh, I remember now.

I have heard from several sources, of instances of Break Tops running with BP and Subs.  ALL of those claims were the same theme.  SHORT cartridges.  44 Russian, C45S, some with 45 Schofield.  None had success with 45 Colt.  ALL also used a bullet that carried a boat load of lube.  Please, don't get the wrong idea.  The current iterations of Break Top Replicants are ALL built wrong.  However, it appears there is a glimmer at the end of the tunnel.  Short cartridges and lots of lube.  Maybe.

Hide and Watch

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:56:48 PM »

Offline Isom

• Deputy Marshal
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 04:34:38 PM »
Coffinmaker,
I think someone brought this complaint up against either the S&W Break tops or the Rem. 75 & 90's . IIRC, I think someone was installing a gas ring in them. But I think it was for the "long" cartridges. They either did it or showed you how to do it (DIY). This was quite a while ago. Don't remember stuff like I used to.  :)
Isom

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 04:35:50 PM »
I would suggest the 45 Cal J/P 45 200 grain  Big Lube bullet.  The huge lube grove filled with a good BP lube may help cure the fouling question.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com