Author Topic: Barrel re-lining  (Read 9505 times)

Offline Dino in Reno

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Barrel re-lining
« on: March 19, 2005, 01:56:07 PM »
Don't yell, but I want to reline the barrel on my 1865 carbine. There is deep pitting mostly along the top side of the bore (11:00 to 1:00 by the clock) and I want a shooter.
This would be in 56/50 (52) and would be for use with my S&S breach-block.
Who would you suggest?
Oh, do the repro's sight parts fit the orig? I need a sight cross bar and screw.

Dino in Reno

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
Re: Barrel re-lining
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 09:14:02 PM »
Dino
The best place to get a reline is Bob Hoyt.  He can make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.  The only problem is it may take up to 1 year to get it done, he has a waiting list.
He is in Fairfield, PA 717 642-6696
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Rosoce Coles

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 09:48:01 PM »
Dino:
    I just relined a 32-20 winchester 1873 so I can tell you a few things.  First, most gunsmiths install premade liners made by Redmans and available from Brownell's.  The come in the standard cowboy calibers and .30cal.  They don't make one in 50cal.  This means that you woulod have to buy a 50cal barrel and turn it down to a liner (tough because the barrel will flex in the process because of the small size).  Also, to properly line a barrel, read get it to shoot at all, you have to have  the proper long piloted drill.  The standard liners have standard drills for them (which cost between $60 and $80).  You would have to have a custom drill made to fit the liner you have made.  All this is to say that while it is possible to have this done, it will cost a mint and no gunsmith will guarantee that the gun will shoot well.

I had a similar problem but I chose to make an entirely new barrel.  I've tried to post a picture of my gun but I'm having problems with the download.  I'll post it from a different machine tomarrow.   I'm particulalrly proud of the front sight lug which is integral to the barrel.  I machined a ring the right size then cut away the unneeded parts off with a hacksaw and finished it with a file.  This had to be done with the barrel installed so the sight is in the right place.  I have to say that this was a bitch of a job that my dad and I did together.  He still says that this is the worst job he has ever done (and he used to machine stuff for NASA back in the 60s!)

By the by, I'm in Reno to, I wonder if we have met ?  I used to do all the gun shows and was a partner in High Plains Drifter Gun Shop in Sparks.
Roscoe Coles
SASS 1188
River City Regulators #7
SSS 33

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:03:13 AM »

Offline Dino in Reno

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 12:51:31 AM »
Ah, the small world of the internet  :)
Yep, in Reno, you would probably recognize me, sort of an Italian Tom Hanks I've been told... I've been at a lot of the Hilton shows at Bessler's booths.
I've been looking for a chopped 50-70 trap-door barrel to have the liner made from. Although I have not checked to see if it would do to make a new barrel from one.
Low feed speed, shallow depth cuts, sharp tool... and hope for the best. They did it in the 1860/70's.
A new barrel would probably be cheaper, but I wanted to keep the markings of the old one.

Dino in Reno

Offline chas_harsbro

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 02:37:29 AM »
Larry Romano would have been my choice for 1865 Carbine, but I recently heard that he's not taking on any Spencer work other than the one's he is making or rebuilding. Other projects are in the works. Guess I'll have to shoot my Taylor's .45 S&W.........
Charlie Harsbro

Offline Rosoce Coles

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 02:44:01 PM »
Hey Dino:
   I thought that mighty be you but I didn't know that you owned a spencer.  Send me an Email and lets catch up.  mblanchard@gbis.com.  I'd love to look at your 65.

Take Care

Morgan
Roscoe Coles
SASS 1188
River City Regulators #7
SSS 33

Offline chas_harsbro

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 12:20:48 AM »
Roscoe--
I was just at trackofthewolf.com and noticed that they sell 50-70 liners! Wonder if this would work for a Spencer? Assuming you could find a chambering reamer!?
Charlie ;D

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 06:50:07 AM »
Bob Hoyt would be your best bet.  He is a barrel maker, and makes his own liners.  They are excellent quality, and he does almost all the relining of originals as well as rebarreling for the reenactment crowd.
I don't think that you want to use a 50-70 barrel, as it is slightly undersize.  The 56-50 is a nominal .512 groove diameter, and the 50-70 is a .508.  This in itself is not a insurmountable problem, but the dimensions on the chambering reamers and the reloading dies may leave you with less than ideal working dimensions in the throat of the chamber.
Bob can give you an estimate on time if you call him, and he guarantees his work.  He has many hundreds of satisfied customers.
French Jack

Offline chas_harsbro

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 12:42:54 AM »
F.J. - what you say about Bob Hoyt is undoubtedly true. I've followed the NSSA and reenactor crowd for some years and it seems he certainly deserves the fine reputation he has.
Charlie

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 06:42:46 AM »
Another vote for Bobby Hoyt.  Were that cloning was possible.  Some time back Pietta produced a run of replica Smith carbines for Navy Arms that featured a barrel that had a wider bore diameter at the muzzle than at the breech.  Made for some "funny" groups.  This was not discovered until many of us bought them.  I had one, had Bobby reline the barrel, and now it shoots better than I can hold it.  Bobby is busy, yes, but knows what he is about, and is well worth the time and money.
Steve Sullivan
46th Illinois, N-SSA
Co. Mil. Hist.
and other stuff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com