Author Topic: Quality of new Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle  (Read 2977 times)

Offline GeezerD

• Very Active Citizen
  • "Back Off Varmints"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quality of new Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle
« on: January 13, 2021, 06:43:41 AM »
In a recent attempt to stimulate the economy, I purchased a new Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle in 45 colt. The other one I have is the same rifle in 44/40 purchased in the early 90s.

On the outside, they appear identical but internally the fit and finish is much better on the newest one. Gone are the razor sharp edges at the loading port and the carrier block has a way better fit and finish. Also the main and carrier/lever springs have a much nicer finish. The only complaint I have is that they still use the overly heavy lever safety spring which has been replaced. I will also need to replace the sights with some that are easier for my old eyes to see.

It's good to see Uberti stepping up their game. ---------------- GeezerD    8)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
Re: Quality of new Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 09:23:25 AM »
Interesting report. Thanks.

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 03:24:53 PM »
 :)  GEEZER   ;)

Good to hear from you!!!  Last followed you when you remanufactured that abysmal Chaparral '76.

Stay Safe Compadre
Stay away from People.  They be Hazardous to yer Health!!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:36:17 AM »

Offline GeezerD

• Very Active Citizen
  • "Back Off Varmints"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 05:59:23 AM »
:)  GEEZER   ;)

Good to hear from you!!!  Last followed you when you remanufactured that abysmal Chaparral '76.

Stay Save Compadre
Stay away from People.  They be Hazardous to yer Health!!

I still have nightmares about that "Craparrel" project. This new Uberti is a pleasure to work with compared to that one. I don't get out to shoot much these days but,this rifle may give me some incentive to do so. One thing I am still trying to figure out is, why it takes so long to get the bore clean in a new Uberti. It took a couple hours before the patches were coming out clean.

The last year has been the worst of my 71 years on this planet. Right now, the wife and I are hunkered down waiting to get vaccinated which should be in the next week or so. -------- Stay Safe, GeezerD

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 07:06:06 AM »
New barrels are that way generally speaking, must be the cutting oil they use. They will also be more difficult to clean until they they get broke in. We used to firelap long range ML barrels to improve accuracy and make cleaning easier. We used a professional firelapping kit. Do NOT use valve grinding compound it is too coarse and has many different sizes of grit.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 09:44:28 AM »

:)  GeezerD   ;)

Don't know if you have followed along along along along  ::).  However, you may find you will need/want/think about annealing your .45 Colt cases.  The .45 Colt brass, as manufactured, doesn't expand enough to seal the Uberti Train Tunnel chambers.

Just a thought.

Stay Safe

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 07:05:48 PM »
Shoot about 50 rounds of black powder and when you clean the gun that new bore will come out clean.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 08:53:13 AM »
The recent style mainspring is pretty good on them and the coil type lever safety spring is a good improvement. I still replaced the lever and lifter springs because they are just so heavy they cause unnecessary wear on the cam surfaces.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 10:07:12 AM »

:)  PLUS ONE for Cliff Fendley   ;)

I normally recommend replacing the OEM Lever Side Springs with a set from Slix Springs (minor fitting).

Stay Safe
People are Hazardous to yer Health

Offline GeezerD

• Very Active Citizen
  • "Back Off Varmints"
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 11:01:33 AM »
After looking it over, with the exception of the lever safety spring the other springs seem to be pretty well suited to their tasks. However, this rifle won't be seeing any competition shooting.
I will be shooting it with heavier bullets at about 1,100 to 1,200 fps so sooting shouldn't be a huge problem. Most of the ammo I have loaded are 250gr hard cast at about 950 fps out of a 7 1/2 inch barrel. --------------- GeezerD

Offline GeezerD

• Very Active Citizen
  • "Back Off Varmints"
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 07:42:52 AM »
After shooting this 1873 this last summer, I have found that a 300 grain WFN/GC cast bullet with 24 grains of Reloader 7 performs well. I am getting about 1200 fps w/ good accuracy { 3 inches at 75 yards }

I recently added a 1866 Trapper in 45 colt to the collection but have not fired it yet. It is easily as well fitted as the 73 and should perform well with standard loads.

My retail therapy also includes a new 1885 high wall in 45/70 { I need help }

GeezerD

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2021, 01:01:35 AM »
I still have nightmares about that "Craparrel" project. This new Uberti is a pleasure to work with compared to that one. I don't get out to shoot much these days but,this rifle may give me some incentive to do so. One thing I am still trying to figure out is, why it takes so long to get the bore clean in a new Uberti. It took a couple hours before the patches were coming out clean.

The last year has been the worst of my 71 years on this planet. Right now, the wife and I are hunkered down waiting to get vaccinated which should be in the next week or so. -------- Stay Safe, GeezerD

They seem to use some kind of greasy oil that may have graphite in it.  I remember using a lot of Ed's Red bore cleaner and lots of patches to get mine clean before I shot it for the first time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com