Author Topic: Saw several USFA Single Actions at a local gun show today.  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Lettow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Saw several USFA Single Actions at a local gun show today.
« on: July 04, 2020, 10:18:27 PM »
Wasn't expecting to find anything of interest at the show.  A dealer acquaintance of mine had two USFA Single Actions on his table like new in their original boxes.  Both Cross pin frames, Dome Blue/CCH with bright hammers and hard rubber grips.  One was a 5.5" 45LC with added 45acp cylinder (can't remember serial #) for $1500 and the other was a 4.75" 44 Spec. (serial number 269XX) for $1200. 

While looking them over he said he had one without a box but did have the original USFA invoice.  Description on invoice says.....

7 1/2 Old Armoury & Dome Blue 38 Special; Cross Pin Frame; Hard Rubber Grips; Serial No. 259XX

The thing is the gun was like new and matched the invoice description except that it had a Black Powder Frame (to include bullseye ejector, tapered front sight and V-notch rear sight) and a CCH Hammer.  Price on the Invoice dated 6/9/08 was $845.  Asking price was $800.  My question is how often did discrepancies between the gun and it's paperwork occur?

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Saw several USFA Single Actions at a local gun show today.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 04:01:50 PM »
Welcome. Lettow!
Discrepancies?  More often than you would think, according to the "history" to be found here on our forum.
USFA, after going "all US made," did a marvelous job of producing Colt SAA replicas.  One thing that they apparently failed to do was keep accurate production records.  A box could leave the factory in two ways; 1) accurately as manufactured or 2) as it was mislabeled.  Go figure!
Personally, I would have jumped on any USFA manufactured in June of '08 for $800.  Be damned what the box said!!! 
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Lettow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 07:05:49 PM »
Thanks.  Well when the seller said he would knock off 10% if I bought two you can guess the result.  Wound up with the boxed .44 Spec. 4.75" and the .38 Spec. 7.5" with factory invoice, $1800 for both.  Just didn't have enough funds for the third but it got adopted before lunchtime. 

I got very luck that they were later guns as I really knew no better.  Been doing quite a bit of studying on this site and others and am learning.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:16:21 AM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 03:15:46 PM »
Lettow,

In today's market you literally stole those USFAs. Late production USFAs of all US sourced parts are the pinnacle of their offerings. Congratulations!

Dave

Offline Lettow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 06:56:37 PM »
Thank you.  Sometimes intuition works out for me.  I'm a little puzzled that someone would order a Single Action with black powder frame and then choose .38 Spec. for the caliber.  Seems to me they would want a period correct caliber with that extra cost frame style.  I do appreciate the options given by USFA.  I don't think we will see that again.

Offline Lettow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 06:27:04 PM »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 12:19:49 PM »
That's one of the neatest USFA's I've seen, it has all the early 1st Gen features but it's in 38 Special. Just too cool.

Offline Steve63

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 10:37:31 PM »
I had planned to order a 38 to those specs but USFA closed up shop before I got the money saved. Very nice gun.

Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com