Author Topic: Help choosing a single action revolver  (Read 3287 times)

Offline dey59

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help choosing a single action revolver
« on: May 18, 2020, 11:59:24 PM »
this is my first post here i hope its in the right place i'm looking to get a saa most likely a clone. a little history, i have shot and reloaded handgun rifle and shotgun most of my life. i'm mainly a revolver/1911 guy with a smattering of cz's and a beretta. i have only owned one single action and that was a ruger super blackhawk. which was very accurate and very good gun ,except for one thing that caused me to get rid of it. and that was when i went to load or unload it the cylinder it would freewheel this drove me crazy and i got to the point that i hated the gun and got rid of it.  now present day i'm looking for a saa with 5.5 inch barrel that when loading the cylinder clicks and holds its place till moved. sorry i don't know what that's called. i would prefer a blued finish but case hardening probably wouldn't be a deal breaker. what are my options and quality of uberti pietta eaa cimarron and any others. iv'e been researching but am unfamiliar with the quality of the brands. i ran across this forum and figured if anyone would know you folks would. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Help choosing a single action revolver
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 03:25:09 AM »
You're pretty much in the right place, however you will get as almost many opinions here as there will be replies .

Much is dependent on what your planned use is ....General pinking , action shooting , historical look and feel or collecting.

Initial cost ? or perhaps aesthetics is your priority .

I'll "Cut to the chaff" opinion

..." now present day"  currently made in 2020 , if you are looking to buy new .

* best for the dollar - EMF Great Western - made by Pietta imported by EMF.

now stand by....here come the wave of others 2 cents  ;D

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline dey59

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 04:03:35 AM »
just range plinking around 500 to 700 thanks its a start is there anything to completely stay away from. also a convertible would be nice 45 acp 45 colt but would take a 44 magnum.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:13:15 AM »

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 06:24:31 AM »
$ 500 -700 is Uberti , Pietta and (Ruger) NMV Vaquero ( though a NMV has the free spin pawl , but can be modified out )

The latest Uberti are quite nice , but since 2018 have a 3 click safety hammer , many don't care for (including me ) but they do work just fine.  For Initial cost , authentic aesthetics and your parameters a good choice.

The Pietta GW II  from EMF a good choice in your cost range maybe a tad less expensive than a Uberti

If a preowned model will suit you then either from 2010- 17 will serve you well ....check Gunbroker.com

Offline dey59

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 09:42:49 AM »
the free spin is a deal breaker pretty sure I want the 5.5 inch barrel . what is the deal with 3 and 4 click hammers I ran across this in my research but don't know the advantages and disadvantages thanks for the help.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 10:12:21 AM »
 ;D  Ask Me!!   ;D  Ask Me!!   ;D  Got my Hand up!!

Yes!! Your gonna get lots of Opine.  Some Good and some .. Meh.  The hot topic is the "3" click  -vs- 4  click.  Uberti, in their infinite wisdom, based on some legalese, have modified the SA Hammer to include a Retractible Firing Pin.  This is a "safety device" to prevent idiots from shooting themselves.  It works OK.  Isn't wonderful.  Is a solution in desperate search of a problem.  This has resulted in some propertied reliability issues and the elimination of the "safety" stop created by Colt.  Now just three clicks when you cock the hammer.  Purists now Poo Poo Uberti.

Best value for dollar hands down is Pietta and the Great Western II, as marketed by EMF.  Dead ringer for a second generation Colt at 1/3 the price.  They also require the least fiddling to be ready to play the CAS Game.

Next up:  I was a Gunsmith for CAS guns for over 20 years.  I hate the term "Clone."  The available SAs on the market are not "Clones" by any stretch.  They are Reproductions.  EAA, EMF, Cimarron, do not "make" anything.  Strictly importers.  They have some difference is roll stamps, but that is about it.  EAA imports guns (I forget the Manufacturer) that are nice but bargain basement.  They have rebated cylinder chambers that hide the case head.  Problematic.  SO:

COLT:  Colt manufactures Colt of course.  Expensive.  Their quality does not support their Price.

STANDARD:  Manufactures "Standard".  Very Expensive.  Very High End Gun.  Excellent quality yet probably overpriced.

Uberti:  Manufactures a plethora of Reproductions.  Smorgasbord of choices.  Some of their offerings have serious shortcomings.  Caveat Emptor.

Pietta:  Manufactures a good selection of Reproductions.  Best Value-for-Dollar today.

EAA:  Doesn't manufacture and I forget who makes their guns.  Nice, but bargain guns.

Ruger.  You don't like Ruger and I don't like Ruger so I left them out.

NEXT ??

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 10:20:00 AM »
The Colt SAA had 4 distinct clicks when the hammer was pulled in to full cock....
( you also probably know, best to load only 5 rounds so the hammer/ firing pin rested on an empty chamber if dropped it would not discharge) 

Uberti/Beretta engineered a rebounding safety hammer ( Ruger uses a hammer sliding bar block )  to allow you to load and carry six holstered. Pietta uses a manual extended cylinder pin setting. ( Uberti did as well and they also had a manual block machined into the hammer )
Purists hate it all , but the lawyers and US customs want the anti-drop feature.

So Uberti has the clever rebounding hammer on most if not all their SAA now. It only has 3 clicks now eliminating I think the step/click in the seer.

It looks the part , it works and it is safe(r) when carry with 6 chambered if accidently dropped.

As I said Ruger and some Pietta ( and the discontinued  Beretta Stampede made by Uberti ) use the transfer bar.
( also the discontinued Taurus Gaucho ) 

You might remember the transfer bar from  you Black Hawk ?

As far as I know if you want ( that is buying new ) the traditional SAA four click/ load 5 for safety
You have 2 choices... Pietta (some not all ) and the $2000 Standard.

Used ?  well there are lots of Uberti's, Pietta's  or you can spend big bucks and find a USPFA or USFA revolver

Or there is the REAL deal COLT.

Edit: while I was typing Coffinmaker added his wisdom I hoped he would  :)

to answer his question  "

Pietta:  Owns and manufactures for EMF corp. Bought it from the heirs of the late Boyd Davis.

Early and Modern Firearms (EMF) was founded in Los Angeles, CA in 1956 and acquired Great Western Arms Company, the manufacturer of the first reproduction of the famous Colt Model 1873 SAA.  In 1971, EMF incorporated and Boyd Davis joined the company. He went on to co-found and became President of Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) in 1981.

EAA  imports WEIHRAUCH a German (Mellrichstadt, Germany) manufactured replica ( Transfer Bar hammer block ) they are in...
 Rockledge/Cocoa Florida

EAA Corp
PO Box 3008, Cocoa, FL 32924

If I were to buy a new 45 SAA today  ...I'd be calling EMF for a Great Western II

Offline dey59

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 12:15:38 PM »
thank you all so much you have been so helpful I'm looking very hard at the emf great western it has the 5.5 in
inch barrel and it dosen't have the horrid free spin it does have some case hardening but that's growing on me. I guess I'll go with the 45 colt.  will the emf take full factory loads I'm  interested in reloading a 250 gr. lrn at between 900 fps to 1000  fps would this emf be able to handle at kind of load. thanks again to everyone for all the help and information.

Offline dey59

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 12:30:22 PM »
emf great western ll Californian standard grip 45 colt 5.5 in barrel  what is the standard grip   I want something that will have lots of options  for grips and accessories

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 12:40:28 PM »
Take a look at the GW II Paladin it is all blue ...

As for loads stay within the 14,000 psi (or 15,900 cup) SAAMI maximum pressure limit.
250 Grain 850 -900 fps would be fine....
These loads are safe in all modern .45 Long Colt revolvers in good operating condition

Steer clear of High pressure handloads and  Cor-Bon  + P  .45 Colt

Standard Grip is the one piece walnut plow handle , you have many option for replacements

Offline dey59

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 01:24:31 PM »
thanks I can live with 850 to 900 I'll try and find the paladin I don't  run high pressure/velocity loads in any of my guns those loads  usually aren't accurate and are hard on the gun and me if the paladin  doesn't freewheel and is 5.5 in. barrel it might be better I do have a question the Californian has a floating firing pin on the hammer I have old Smith and Wesson's with hammer mounted firing pin what is a floating firing pin and is it good or bad.. thank you for the information it's a big help and i loved have gun will travel.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 03:46:06 PM »
Its good in that it allows the FP to self center just as the originals had.
If your Smith and Wesson is a swing out cylinder (Hand Ejector ) it probably has a floating FP.

I noticed the Paladin is offered in both 7 1/2" and 5 1/2 " but currently the 5 1/2" in not available   :( bummer

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/-PALADIN-II-MODEL-45LC-5-1-2-426p1590.htm

then the Freedom is also blued & engraved... Grips are a bit I don't know ...though

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/-Freedom-c517.htm

Offline dey59

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 06:29:00 PM »
ok we just call that a hammer mounted firing pin as opposed to a frame mounted firing pin on the newer one's yes i do prefer those. i have 2 m29's 3in. and 6in. and a ruger redhawk with 7.5 in barrel all in 44 magnum. i don't care for engraving at all. the case hardening on the californian isn't completly horrible. i see on there sight they also have an 1873 maverick in 5.5 in. 44 magnum so i'm down to 2 the californian in 45 colt and the 1873 maverick in 44 magnum i'll have to make sure the maverick doesn't free spin. thank you for the information

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 09:48:17 PM »
Hey dey,
A few things.
Regarding the free-spin cylinder, none of the guns with Colt-style action (Uberti, Pietta, etc) will have that.  There is an aftermarket part called a free-spin pawl that some Ruger owners put into their guns which allow it to spin free.  Probably yours had one of those.  If a Colt style gun does it, it means the bolt spring is broken.  :)

Colt SAA's were almost ALL blue/case-color, or else nickled.  Almost all reproductions are as well.  All blued models are definitely harder to find, but as noted EMF lists some.

Note that not all Ubertis have the "3 click hammer" with the new Uberti safety.  The Old Model (black powder frame) Model P's sold by Cimarron still have the traditional Colt action.  And speaking of Cimarron, they also carry a Pietta line (their "Frontier" line).  Those guns will be nearly identical to the EMF Great Western II's, but with slightly more authentic marking (and $12 lower cost now that I look at it).   EMF does carry a larger assortment of Pietta models for sure.  The Cimarron Frontiers would be comparable to the EMF Californian.  https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/frontier-model-45-lc-5-1-2-in.html

Also, regarding the "floating firing pin", the earliest generation of Colt SAA's had a conical firing pin that was solidly mounted to the hammer.   It was later on that Colt went to the floating pin, changing the shape also to what you see now.  And by the way, you mentioned the 44 Magnum Maverick, but that is a transfer bar gun.

They're all fun.  Get one of each.  :)

Offline dey59

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 08:50:14 AM »
thank you Abilene more great information I have to say this is the friendliest and most helpful forum I've ever been on. thank you to everyone. right now I'm looking at the Californian but will check the cimmoron frontier.

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 01:39:00 PM »
I've just purchased a Cimarron Frontier Black Powder frame. These are great revolvers!

Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Offline dey59

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 05:28:01 PM »
very nice, is there a lot of grip options. i'm hoping for stag. thank you.

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 05:49:30 PM »
very nice, is there a lot of grip options. i'm hoping for stag. thank you.

Wood was only offered from Cimarron. I'm thinking of ordering the faux ivory from EMF one piece and putting them on, but the butter-soft grip screws seemed to be welded on....
Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Offline dey59

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 04:44:04 AM »
good luck8

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen