Author Topic: AWA  (Read 2239 times)

Offline GSP7

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AWA
« on: March 18, 2020, 09:08:26 PM »
-Not sure if this is posted in the right section, where should I move it- ???

Does anyone own a American Western Arms 1873 saa?

My AWA is a very light slick action....

Longhorn Ive had for 25 plus years, and a my new arrival a Uberti ss cms

John Tidmore made the nice holster

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: AWA
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 09:30:25 PM »
I sold my 44/40  20 + years ago   7 1/2 " I recall it was slick
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 01:11:41 AM »
Yeah, you're in the right place!  Looks like you have what Cimarron calls the Groovy hammer.  :)

Mike Harvey took a dremel to a low wide hammer and some of the mounted shooters liked it so he told Uberti to make them (probably not with a dremel).  How do you like the short stroke?  I wish short strokes were never made legal but they were.  After 15 years of resisting I did finally short stroke one of my rifles and it's fun.

I've never owned an AWA but knew a lot of folks who've had them in the past.  Most liked them and had no problems.  I remember hearing about how smooth and light the action was but then some needed heavier springs to pop primers.  After they got sued by Colt things went downhill and at the end they sold some Armi-San-Marcos made guns that were pretty shoddy.  Yours sure doesn't look like you've used it much in those 25 years!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:17:33 AM »

Offline GSP7

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 08:59:05 AM »
The AWA has been shot quite a bit.  I remember I got a real good deal on it at a large gun shop when it was new. Im thinking AWA might have used Lee gunslinger springs in them.

The short stroke Uberti , to me, isnt that much shorter, compared to the AWA, but if they both had the low hammer spur it might be a better comparison. You can tell its a little shorter stroke but not as much as I was thinking it would be. Still has the 4 clicks.

Im going to order both a Lee, and a Superior Ind.( VTI), light main spring and try them in the Uberti

sfc rick

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 06:46:56 AM »
I had an AWA in 7 1/2" barrel length and enjoyed it very much. It was such a fine SAA and I remember Colt pitched such a fit and sued AWA. Unfortunately my Son wanted it so bad I gave in and let him have it, and shortly thereafter he sold it/gave it way and I never saw it again. I wished I never let that one get away now. It was in the early 90's production and was so beautiful. Nowadays, I keep my Colt's one is 115 years old and my new 2019 production Colt. And of course my dozen or so Uberti's. But those early AWA's were things of beauty.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 01:13:06 PM »

Im going to order both a Lee, and a Superior Ind.( VTI), light main spring and try them in the Uberti

GSP7,

I think your Uberti cms may already have a light spring kit installed. The one I bought did but it is the stainless steel model.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 07:20:31 PM »

Superior Industries is no more.  The "Lee's Gunslinger" is the best on the market.  After the fall of "AWA" it became AWA USA, a different entity.  AWA USA also availed us a rather marvelous Replica.  I should have bought a pair and didn't.  Oh Well.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 10:10:25 AM »
The AWA's are still out there, just check Gunbroker. I've had a Peacekeeper in 44 special for years, Bought it at a Pawn Shop for $300, almost brand new, but in a Longhorn box. Haven't ever seen another 44 special until the last few weeks and all of a sudden there were 3 of them on GB.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com