Author Topic: HOW DOSE A CIMARRON BISLEY BALANCE?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline olskool

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HOW DOSE A CIMARRON BISLEY BALANCE?
« on: January 26, 2020, 05:01:54 PM »
I have never had a Cimarron bisley. I have a ruger blackhawk flattop bisley and I love it. it points beautiful to me. a uberti/Cimarron grips slant more forward than my ruger. how do they feel? how do they point and balance? a few years ago I had a Cimarron it was a nice gun, is quality still good? I am looking at one. any help will be apprecheated.
beware of the man who has only one gun, he probably knows how to use it.....

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Re: HOW DOSE A CIMARRON BISLEY BALANCE?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 06:04:26 PM »
The way the Bisley is designed, if you hold your arm straight out it will want to point low.  They are meant to shoot with a bent elbow.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 10:04:06 AM »

I personally do not care for the Colt/Uberti pattern Bisley.  Doesn't fit my hand in any way, shape, or form.  It's actually too narrow front to back and a mite too thin.  Unless it's a 4 3/4 barrel, it doesn't come close to "balance."  Very barrel heavy.

There are some differences in the Bisley I like.  I like the Hammer.  I like the trigger.  If someone would make a reasonably priced replicant of Elmer's #5, I'd be on it like French Fries.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:51:05 AM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 09:37:37 PM »
I personally do not care for the Colt/Uberti pattern Bisley.  Doesn't fit my hand in any way, shape, or form.  It's actually too narrow front to back and a mite too thin.  Unless it's a 4 3/4 barrel, it doesn't come close to "balance."  Very barrel heavy.

There are some differences in the Bisley I like.  I like the Hammer.  I like the trigger.  If someone would make a reasonably priced replicant of Elmer's #5, I'd be on it like French Fries.

The Ruger ?Bisley? is very much like the Keith no.5 ?so close it must have inspired Bill Ruger to use it rather than the original Colt style Bisley. I have handled and shot both and the Ruger wins hands down. Google up Keith no. 5 pistol and compare the grip to the Ruger and see how close they are.

Offline hanover67

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 04:27:49 PM »
I have a Cumarron/Uberti Bisley, .44 Spl, 4 3/4" barrel. It has original type sights - narrow tapered front blade and small u-notch real sight. These are very hard for me to see. So, I don't shoot the gun much. I wrote to Cimarron and asked if they could convert to a wider front and rear sights bit they never answered. It is hard for me to get and hold a good sight picture and therefore its hard to hit the target. I wish I had known about the sights before I bought it.

https://i.imgur.com/nwjgGxS.jpg

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 10:55:00 PM »
A gun that pretty doesnt need to hit the target!! lol ;D ;D

Offline olskool

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »
that is a beautiful gun hanover!   here is my ruger bisley flattop 44sp,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 04:03:01 PM »
Hanover67/Olskool? where did ya?ll get those beautiful grips??

Offline hanover67

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 11:09:00 PM »
I got my elk horn grips from Grashorn Grips. I sent him my gun and he made and fitted them. I wish I liked the gun itself as much as I like the grips...As a long-range project I think I'll try to find a machinist to make a copy of a King Super Target Rib for it and do the same for a Colt .32-20 Army Special.

Offline olskool

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 04:30:41 AM »
Grashorn grips on mine also, Patrick dose first class work and at a good price. but on the rugers you have to send him the grip frame because the rugers vary in size. I did a trigger and action job wile mine was apart. I wrapped mine in paper towels soaked with old boiled wet coffee grounds to get the dark stained effect.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 09:01:05 AM »
  They're very different. The grip crowds your last three fingers together and the trigger finger must angle down. Abilene is correct in that they're meant to be shot with a bent elbow, and really a bent wrist too. They're one of those things that a person has to get used to if they want to shoot a Bisley.

I had one in .45 Colt for awhile that had the wide front sight and rear notch. Great shooter and I sort of wish I'd kept it.

I used it to make my farthest handgun shot on a deer- 48 yds.-

Even killed a perfectly innocent chronograph with it!

Offline hanover67

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 05:54:05 PM »
I didn't like the flat bottom on the stock Uberti wooden grips so when I had Grashorn make my elk horn grips I asked for a 7 degree bevel like the SAA has. I wish I had those wide sights!

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 06:06:45 PM »
I didn't like the flat bottom on the stock Uberti wooden grips so when I had Grashorn make my elk horn grips I asked for a 7 degree bevel like the SAA has. I wish I had those wide sights!

The sight problem is fairly easy to solve, I've done it with two others. Take it to any competent machinist and ask him to mill the rear V out to .125" (1/8"). Takes just a few minutes. In both cases I replaced the front sight with a full width one; I did one myself and had a 'smith do the other one. But really the tapered front sight works OK with the rear notch opened up.

ETA- Midway sells them https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004580927?pid=560408 and I think Brownell's does too.

CHT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com