Author Topic: USFA China Camp Model  (Read 9119 times)

22lr

USFA China Camp Model
« on: March 15, 2007, 04:59:37 PM »
I just discovered USFA a year or so ago.  (I wasn't involved with CAS until just recently.)  I've seen pictures of the "China Camp" model, and read where this pesron has one and that person has a pair, but I can't find a good description of what was different about it.  Can someone please tell me what was special about it,  How long was it made, Why did they discontinue it, etc.?  Someone give me the scoop, please.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: USFA China Camp Model
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:18:44 PM »
The CC's come "in the white", no finish. Some tuning done and then sighted in. would love to have one myself, but they are harder than hen's teeth to find.........Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 11:37:07 AM »
Deadeye,
The China Camp model, named for SASS champion Dennis Ming, was one of USFA's first venture into the "custom gun" field back in the 90's.  It was supposedly designed to Ming's specifications.  It had a high polish steel finish, action job and, I believe, a slightly wider front sight.  At the time it was implied that the China Camp model was a bit more accurate than the standard production models.  I also seem to recall that it was one of the first models to use the cross-pin frame.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:01:36 AM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 11:49:38 AM »
A friend of mine has a pair. He is always cleaning rust off them. He's considering having them blued. I guess they shoot fine, but I can't imagine buying guns with absolutely no corrosion protection on them.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 01:22:24 PM »
Well folks, here it is, straight out of one of USFA's old catalogs:

"The China Camp Cowboy Action Gun in our patented Silver Steel Competition Finish"

"Mr. Dennis Ming, 5 time world champion shootist, asked U. S. Fire-Arms, under the famous blue dome in Hartford, Conn., to help him make the gun he has searched for all these years.  Dennis's many titles in cowboy action shooting makes him an authority."

As for the actual gun, USFA noted;

"Square notch rear sight, action job with crisp trigger.  Gun certified for point of impact.  Official armory target provided.  The China Camp is a special gun for the advanced shooter, combining the historic details of yesterday with the modern honed precision of today."

As has been noted in earlier posts, the "Patented Silver Steel Competition Finish" was nothing more than a highly polished standard steel frame.  That fancy title was a bit deceptive, leading one to believe that the finish was something more than it actually was.  There were some presumptions at the time that the steel used, while not stainless, possessed some rust resistant properties.  This was not true (I checked with USFA myself at the time).
The China Camp models used the bull's eye ejector on the cross pin frame.
Serial numbers were preceded with the letters "CC."
4&3/4", 5&1/2" and 7&1/2" barrel lengths were standard, other lengths optional.
.45 was the standard caliber, .41 Colt, .44, .38 S&W Special and .32 WCF were offered as optional.
Hard rubber grips were standard.  Curiously, the catalog mentions other grips available (walnut, ivory, etc.) but specifies "2 piece grips."
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com