Author Topic: A fellow uses a Henry Rifle to win the Arizona Cowboy Silhouette State Champ.  (Read 9300 times)

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
using 44-40 b.p. ammunition! ;D ;D

"When the smoke finally cleared from the afternoon match it was Arizona resident Chip Mate on the top of the page with a fine 38X40. His aggregate score of 75X80 was enough for the Pistol Caliber State Championship....."  His score also ties the national record. ;D

Congratulations Chip!

He used his Uberti Henry 44-40 against '94 Marlins and '92 Winchesters and outshot them all!

Match and class winners.   He's the fellow in the blue shirt in the middle.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
w44wcf, any idea what distances they were shooting at? cj

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Cactus Joe,

Out to 100 meters (110 yards).  The targets there are steel rams that measure just 6" body height.
Other targets -
chickens - 40 meters - body 2 3/4" dia
javelina - 50 meters - body 4 1/2" high x 11" long (easiest target to hit)
turkeys - 75 meters - body 5 1/2"  (hardest target to hit)

Here is a pic of my home range....

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Advertising

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Real nice range, It's a better setup then the range i pay to use. I saw a video you made once (can't remember where i saw it) you were shooting i think at 300 meters. It seemed like it took almost 2 seconds before the bullet hit the target. With a range like that i can see now why you are a excelent shot.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
cactus joe,
The pic is the range in Ridgway, PA.  It's about a 2 1/2 hr drive for me so I only get there 5 or 6 times / yr. (home range meaning the closest to me for shooting NRA Cowboy silhouette).  My best has been a 61x80.  The only way I could shoot a 75x80 like Chip did would be from a rest  :)

That's the way I got lucky on the 300M javelina. I used a front and rear rest as I really wanted to test the accuracy of the rifle & load combination rather than my offhand shooting ability.....

Actual bullet flight time was .94 seconds and it arrived going about 800 f.p.s. (Hornady Ballistics Resource)

w44wcf

aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Got lucky!  you are too modest. If remeber right you hit 4 or 5  in a row with your 1873. I'm still strugling to hit a gal water jug more than 7 out of 10 times at a 100 yds with my henry. I agree with you though Chip is a heck of a shot.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Why not use a .44-40 Henry ???

Its a great round, and the heavy Henry and rifle buttplate make for an excellent off-hand rifle. 8) 8)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Amen to that!

I prefer other rifles for main match events, but I LOVE my Henry for deliberate, accurate fire. I've challenged scoped rifle shooters to take me on off hand out to 200 m - no takers.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
brings a smile to my face.    That sure looks like fun.

Mathew 5.9

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
UPDATE:

At a match a few weeks later Chip shot a perfect 40x40 score with his 44-40 Henry b.p. which is now a new national record on the 40 shot course! ;D ;D
Congratulations, Chip!

w44wcf
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Just as an aside, 'bout six years ago I managed to shoot at a fellow's rang and he had steel chickens set up at 200 meters.  After I figured out where to put the ladder sight I nailed them every time.  45 colt black powder with PRS bullet.  With a good load the Henry really is a great shooter.  Got me to itching to try that again!
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com