Author Topic: Something to strive for  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • NCOWS #: 4017
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 72
Something to strive for
« on: August 01, 2022, 11:11:01 AM »
I've always admired steel silhouette shooters and even flirted with the idea of trying it myself in the Pistol Caliber Lever Action class. It's an extremely difficult discipline, so difficult, in fact, that I've scrapped any ideas of actually competing, at least for now.
This is the size of the 40 yard steel target. The shooter has 2 min to shoot and knock down  a row of 5 of these targets with 5 shots. The exercise is repeated with progressively larger targets at 50, 75 and 100 yards for a total of 20 shots. All shooting is offhand.
Even with my old, tired eyes, this is something that I will strive for in practice. Not only is it a test of shooting skill, but the ammunition must be capable as well, so reloading quality ammo is a must.
File this under "training" for your next CAS competition.
"Around Dodge City and in the territories out west, there's only one way to handle the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke!"

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
Re: Something to strive for
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 02:54:13 PM »
I have some steel targets about the same size as that one. At 40 yards, I can barely even see them, let alone hit them, unless I use my Ruger PC carbine with a scope.

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 04:06:17 PM »
I'm right there with ya, Froogal!
"Around Dodge City and in the territories out west, there's only one way to handle the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:07:17 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 08:21:18 AM »

:)  Ha!!  ;)

I once demonstrated I could hit Clay Birds on the 50 yard berm with my 16 Inch Henry Trapper.  Once.  Just Once.  I was also a bunch younger.  Today??  Nah.  I'll pass.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 08:40:15 AM »
One of my homemade steel targets is a disc blade. About 20 inches or so in diameter, and of course with that small hole in the center. I decided to create a challenge and hung another steel target BEHIND the disc blade with the idea that I could shoot through the hole, totally missing the disc blade, but hitting the target behind.

I amazed myself by actually doing it. ONCE!

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 11:43:59 AM »
There's an old saying about 'blind squirrels and acorns" that probably applies here. Particularly to Froogal's disc blade. (smile)

Dave

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 09:05:12 AM »
I played spectator at a monthly silhouette match yesterday, hosted by the Hellgate Civilian Shooters Association, and held at the Deep Creek Range in Missoula Montana. Met a bunch of great folks and saw some great shootin'. Lots of lever action rifles including original Winchester 92s in 25-20 & 32-20 in the Pistol Cartridge class. They put me to work resetting/painting steel targets and I spotted for a match director, a very spry gentleman in his 80s who was shooting 32-20 and 38-55.
After lunch we moved to the 500 meter range for Cowboy Lever Action (out to 200 meters) and High Power Scoped classes (out to 500 meters).
I expect I'll give this sport a whirl, starting with a lever action 22LR and eventually a 45 Colt.
A fun time was had by all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com