Author Topic: Possible GAF Wild Bunch Revisions  (Read 51940 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Possible GAF Wild Bunch Revisions
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »
I'm just thinkin' out load here folks . . .  JUST FOR DISCUSSION!

Y'know, we do pistol reloads all day long in GAF.  And the GAF is a rifle focused organization.  How about more empasis on the rifle in the "Expansion" match? Doing movement up the range we cannot do in the Main Match.

Keep the rules and weapons as is for the Main Match. 15 rounds rifle, 5 rounds handgun.  Classes for Levers, Milspec SS, and Repeater.  4 positions, each advancing 10 yards say, with some sort of obstacle for cover.  Shooter must shoot the rifle in 3 of the 4 positions, choosing to shoot one postion with the handgun.  Targets 25 to 100 yards.  Shooter may choose to engage standing. kneeling or prone.  3 awards: 1st "Expert", 2nd "Sharpshooter" 3rd "Marksman" The handgun becomes a "New York Reload" for the rifleman.

I'd allow rifle reloading on the move, as long as the chamber is kept empty.  (not SS obviously.)  This is debatable of course.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2009, 06:01:49 PM »
Drydock, I like this idea.
Advance, using cover, and engaging the appropriate targets. Sounds military to me. Reloading rifles on the fly would be alright too, as long as the bolt is open, which most would be.
What, pray tell, is a New York reload?
Some of us Kansas/Nebraska Border Ruffians have never been that far East.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2009, 06:08:55 PM »
Dalton, it's late 20th century slang for just pulling out another weapon rather than recharging the weapon you just ran dry. You do it all the time!

I'm just thinkin' out load here folks . . .  JUST FOR DISCUSSION!

Y'know, we do pistol reloads all day long in GAF.  And the GAF is a rifle focused organization.  How about more empasis on the rifle in the "Expansion" match? Doing movement up the range we cannot do in the Main Match.

Keep the rules and weapons as is for the Main Match. 15 rounds rifle, 5 rounds handgun.  Classes for Levers, Milspec SS, and Repeater.  4 positions, each advancing 10 yards say, with some sort of obstacle for cover.  Shooter must shoot the rifle in 3 of the 4 positions, choosing to shoot one postion with the handgun.  Targets 25 to 100 yards.  Shooter may choose to engage standing. kneeling or prone.  3 awards: 1st "Expert", 2nd "Sharpshooter" 3rd "Marksman" The handgun becomes a "New York Reload" for the rifleman.

I'd allow rifle reloading on the move, as long as the chamber is kept empty.  (not SS obviously.)  This is debatable of course.

This would solve everything! I'm counting 4 New Services and a Webley that we will possibly see running in the Expansion Match at the next Grand Muster! Now I like 1911's, but they get boring. Nothing like some variety with some big bore double action wheelguns blasting away along with the 1911s normally associated with this type match.

Hope this works out!

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 02:45:42 PM »

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2009, 06:11:30 PM »
The fastest reload is always another gun!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2009, 06:50:02 PM »
Perhaps I misunderstood the direction the discussion was taking ..... but from the apparent possibility of allowing M'1917 revolvers - which by definition were designed to use .45ACP cartridges in moonclips - coupled with the ongoing talk about moonclips, I was perhaps just assuming that moonclips might be under consideration as permissible with these revolvers. 

Both M'1917 revolver types are admittedly simply WWI-era variants of models which did exist in the Expansion time-period, but are also much more readily available and affordable than the forerunner versions .... so I can fully understand the push to allow them.  To clarify - I have no objection to allowing M'1917's (and other revolvers which use moonclips) to compete in the a "revolver class" as long as the playing field is kept fairly level.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, I think that the easiest way to do that would be to disallow any "rapid loading devices" for revolvers - including moonclips, but also even "period correct" speedloaders ..... which were, indeed rare and/or experimental back then, anyway.
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2009, 06:59:02 PM »
The U.S. Navy had a speedloader system for their .38 Colts, with a belt mounted cartridge box to match (it held two loading devices and six rounds loose), but I've never actually seen one "in the flesh".

I have one of the original "USN" marked  leather pouches that holds two of those early speedloaders, plus the 6 additional rounds for the M1889 Navy etc. revolvers. I meant to bring it to the muster for show 'n tell but never got around to digging it out. Don't have any of the speedloaders for it though.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2009, 07:42:43 PM »
I have one of the original "USN" marked  leather pouches that holds two of those early speedloaders, plus the 6 additional rounds for the M1889 Navy etc. revolvers. I meant to bring it to the muster for show 'n tell but never got around to digging it out. Don't have any of the speedloaders for it though.
Too cool!  I like your kind of collection!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2009, 07:47:45 PM »
I'm just thinkin' out load here folks . . .  JUST FOR DISCUSSION!

Y'know, we do pistol reloads all day long in GAF.  And the GAF is a rifle focused organization.  How about more empasis on the rifle in the "Expansion" match? Doing movement up the range we cannot do in the Main Match.

Keep the rules and weapons as is for the Main Match. 15 rounds rifle, 5 rounds handgun.  Classes for Levers, Milspec SS, and Repeater.  4 positions, each advancing 10 yards say, with some sort of obstacle for cover.  Shooter must shoot the rifle in 3 of the 4 positions, choosing to shoot one postion with the handgun.  Targets 25 to 100 yards.  Shooter may choose to engage standing. kneeling or prone.  3 awards: 1st "Expert", 2nd "Sharpshooter" 3rd "Marksman" The handgun becomes a "New York Reload" for the rifleman.

I'd allow rifle reloading on the move, as long as the chamber is kept empty.  (not SS obviously.)  This is debatable of course.
It's already in planning for our deparment muster next year.  I'm also looking into an individual decision driven scenario such as the buckskinners do.  Sort of a modified "Hogan's Alley"  If we can do it safely it could be a whole lot of fun!

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »
Yeah Jack, its a problem for me too,  one of the reasons I'd rather increase the emphasis on the rifle, and drop the handgun reload, IE use the handgun AS a reload for 5 rounds.  Shoot and Scoot rather than Stand and Deliver.  Call it a "Skirmish Run" rather than some form of WB match.  Stick with the Victorian weapons and loose ammo reloads.  IMHO and still for discussion!!  

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2009, 08:25:37 PM »
I still think that most of this should be up to the match directors.  while moving downrange during the stage does add realism, it isn't pratical or even safe a some ranges.  lateral movement could be done instead but again, it would depend on the range design.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »
  I'm also looking into an individual decision driven scenario such as the buckskinners do.  Sort of a modified "Hogan's Alley"  If we can do it safely it could be a whole lot of fun!

That's what I thought we were going to do at the Grand Muster. Good to see someone is going to implement some "move 'n shoot"!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2009, 06:26:36 AM »
I still can shoot as well as I ever did, I just don't move very fast anymore.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2009, 07:28:58 AM »
Me too Lawdog, that's why I say "Move 'n Shoot" instead of "Run 'n Gun"!

Stick with the Victorian weapons and loose ammo reloads.

The 1903 Springfield is getting no love here!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2009, 07:34:05 AM »
I don't think my Eddystone 1917 is either.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2009, 08:11:17 AM »
And I have tons of 30-06 brass and a bunch of lead 174 gr .30 caliber bullets to load up. Was hoping to load some up for next years festivities.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2009, 08:27:34 AM »
My Krag finally made itself back to the place where I purchased it. Now, the next question is, when is going to get to the new FFL?

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2009, 10:22:43 AM »
I was shootin a Krag at the last Muster.

What kind of Krag you gettin?

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2009, 02:43:50 PM »
We're just discussin' things here folks, nothing is finalized.

Charles, we had a lot more movement planned, but the snow and mud took care of a lot of that.  It helps to have stage berms as well, to allow movement up and downrange in addition to lateral.  Thats one of the things we can really expand on with a sidematch, nothing else going on, allowing us to move more.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »
You all did such a good job planning the '09 Muster that it caused me to have too much fun and forget about the snow. All froze up, I probably would have slipped and broken something if I tried to move too fast!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2009, 09:05:11 PM »
Thanks, CI!
The snow changed a lot of things. It forced us to shoot fewer stages and eliminated the prone and kneeling parts of the match. Oh well, adapt and over come! It made for a muster I doubt any of the participants will forget it any time soon (if for no other reason than getting to shoot it in greatcoats and fur hats).

BTW I put a downpayment on a beautiful M-1898 Krag rifle this afternoon. I'll probably stick with my trapdoors for the main match. but probably use the krag in the side matches.

I want to emphacize what Col. Drydock said about nothing being set in stone regarding the side matches. General Scout, Col. Drydock and I have been discussing this extensively and noting the discussion here. When a decision is made it will be the correct decision for the best intrests of the GAF. A case in point: the GAF Postal Shoot revisions that will be unvieled later this winter have been in the works for over two years. And that reminds me there's still a few days left to register for the fall 2009 GAF postal match. The match ends Nov. 30.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com