Author Topic: Winchester 97 shotgun clone  (Read 11299 times)

Winchester 97 shotgun clone
« on: April 24, 2014, 07:01:13 PM »
Does anybody build a "clone" of the Winchester 97 shotgun?  Chiappa, for example, makes a clone of the 87 Winchester shotgun, but it does not appear they make a version of the 97.  Does anybody make one, or is it pretty much a matter of finding an original and cleaning it up?

Thanks for any suggestions

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Winchester 97 shotgun clone
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:53:50 PM »
There WERE two or three.  They have all pretty much come and gone.  You are about three years behind the curve.  The only good ones were the ones brought in by IAC.  You can find them at gun shows and the auction sites.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:37:40 AM »
Thanks Pettifogger.  Appreciate the tip.  I'll watch for one.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:14:14 AM »

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
I've found far more original 1897s available in gunshops than clones.   In fact,   I've not seen a clone in a gunshop.  Prices ran around $375-1000 on originals I've seen..  Many of the lower priced ones show of problems - cracked stocks being universal,  and no finish left.   I recently bought a real nice one for $395.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpQvmQyn2Js&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just a slide show of pictures taken with cell phone.  The gun has been reblued but done right.  Small chip out of butt stock at the waist but not cracked.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 08:20:58 PM »
They made slightly over one million 97s.  When SASS was at its peak and recruiting thousands of new members per year the price went sky high in some areas of the country.  Now that membership is growing at a much slower pace the prices in my area have come down.  I see used ones at almost every gun show and even the local Cabelas frequently has them on the used gun racks.  I see lots of them in the $350 - $400 range.  If you pick up a Chinese 97 try to get one made after 2005.  The first two digits of the serial number are the year of manufacture.  So, one beginning with 05XXXXX was made in 05.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 07:44:21 AM »
Thanks again Pettifogger.  Good to know.

Not trying to drag the subject out, but which would be considered the "better" gun to get - wait for an original in good shape and have it cleaned/tuned up - or get one of the Chinese knockoffs?  Or would it make much difference .......

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 05:04:42 PM »
A good Chinese vs. a bad Winchester.  I'll take the Chinese.  I good Winchester vs. a good Chinese, I'll take the Winchester.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 11:26:25 AM »
Makes sense.   ;)

I'll watch to see what comes up.

Offline phoenix1151

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 06:18:09 PM »
Not that it does you guys any good, but I just ordered a brand new Chinese clone (made specifically for Marstar Canada) for $395 Cdn.  The purchase is still being processed so I haven't even had a close look at it, but others who have handled them say reasonable things about them.  It has an internal chromed barrel and is claimed to be a very close copy of the Winchester.  I'm trying to get into CAS fairly inexpensively as I don't really care about competing per se, just looking to play cowboy. 

Last August I picked up a pair of 1873 Pietta Millenium .357mag/.38spl (hope to actually shoot them for the first time this coming week), so I'm now looking for a rifle.  My top rifle pick would be a Marlin 1894CSS or even a 1894C in .357mag/.38spl , but they just aren't around.  I'm tempted to go with a Rossi stainless but heard recently that Rossi/Taurus has instituted a restricted parts policy where you won't be able to buy parts but will have to send your rifle back to them for repair.  That might be a deal breaker for me, on top of some negative forum comments on Rossi.  However, the Rossi looks pretty and is one of the lower priced rifles that seems to be available if you search.

Offline phoenix1151

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
Wow, no other additions to this thread since my last one, that's a bit disappointing.  ???

Anyway, I've received and shot my Chinese clone 1897 12ga pump.  I haven't spent hardly any time on it but I first cycled it without firing just to gauge how "slick" it functioned and then cycled (not firing) the rounds as fast as I could without problems.  I only actually fired a few rounds and as a pump shotgun goes, it's "meh".  However, it's "period design" so will do for cowboy action.  The one thing I didn't like was the slide release finger "button" is (too) small for easy manipulation.  I haven't tried the "rapid fire" trick by holding down the trigger and cycling the slide but I'll sacrifice 5 or 6 rounds just for a lark next time out with it.

Also, I've only shot a few rounds out of my Pietta's and haven't filed the front sight for POA/POI from a rest yet.  I shot them with "instinctive aim" only and still hit way low but more practice will help.  I may pick up a Laserlyte system for that before expending a ton of ammo.

I just ordered a Rossi M92 20" hex-barrel .357/.38 with blued barrel and case hardened receiver.  I got tired of waiting for a Marlin 1894C to show up here in Canada (still have one on backorder).  By the way, the latest I read on the Rossi restricted parts policy was that Taurus has relaxed that policy now (I don't have any details).

I don't know why, but I just bought a used Uberti 1858 .44 black powder revolver too.

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 05:58:35 PM »
Well if anyone is still looking at this post,  I just picked up a IAC 97 clone for almost nothing.  I know that the pre 2005s were supposed to have really cheap wood stocks and a lot of cycling problems but this one has a nice Walnut stock and seems to cycle very smoothly.  I showed it to the gun dealer I normally buy my guns from and he seems to think it is one of the best 97 clones he has seen.  I hope my luck holds out with this one . My question is,  who do you recommend sending it to for an action job and to add a six shot mag so I can shoot wild bunch?  As always,  thanks for your input in advance.  W. L.        :)
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 02:32:12 AM »
LOTS of people do 97 action jobs.  Try to find someone close to where you live.  Way out west you can try Jim Bowie at the Cowboys and Indians Store.  In the midwest you can try the Brisco Kid.  You don't need to change or modify the mag tube.  What you need is a Wild Bodie Tom spring and follower kit.  It is drop in and will allow you to load six.

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »
If you live in the Southeast 3Cut does an excellent job with '97's.  I traded for an original awhile back that I would sell.  It is in great shape but the bore is a little rough. I shot it at our last match and it works great.  The magazine will hold only 5 rounds if you are thinking about Wild Bunch.

Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com