Author Topic: Belgian Centaur on gb  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Belgian Centaur on gb
« on: June 28, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »
Greetings my good Netizens -

Whilst browsing GB for eye candy I saw this and thought I would let everyone know there is a
fine looking 8" Belgian CENTENNIAL 1860 New Model Army Revolver over on Gunbroker

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/819676877

I don't even know the seller, but hey, go check it out if you like...

yhs
prof marvel
Modify message
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Belgian Centaur on gb
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 06:48:43 AM »
Hey Long John Wolf----What's the skinny on this piece? Legit? Curious about the grips, were any ever checkered or was this a private/owner performed operation. I've never seen a Belgium made Colt with them checkered, but yer the resident expert. I tried to judge revolver using your guides on FROCS, but was unsure about a few things.           
Jede hilfe sehr geschatzt! ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 08:49:19 AM »
BP and campfire: #9356 over at GB is a Centaure Regular New Model Army (RNMA: 8" barrel, 3-screw frame, notches in recoil shield, traditional finish), 3rd variation (roll-engraved Ormsby style naval engagement scene with CENTENNIAL between the scene's ends), 3rd sub-variation (no toe on butt).
Incidentally, the naval scene was not applied at the Belgian factory but at the shop of their U.S. distributor Centennial Arms Corp in Lincolnwood, IL. Centennial Arms' owners believed their U.S. customers would not go for the Centaure proprietary naval scene (less background Details) but were used to the Ormsby Scene and would prefer it.
Ca. 2000 specimens were produced between 1964 and 1970. This one is from 1970.
To the best of our knowledge FAUL never installed anything but plain walnut or irory grips. Hence, it is my considered opinion the checkering is a custom job.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:37:17 PM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 10:12:06 AM »
Thank you Long Johns Wolf.

Incidentally, the naval scene was not applied at the Belgian factory but at the shop of their U.S. distributor Centennial Arms Corp in Lincolnwood, IL. Centennial Arms' owners believed their U.S. customers would not go for the Centaure proprietary naval scene (less background Details) but were used to the Ormsby Scene and would prefer it.
Long Johns Wolf

Wondering---How did Centennial's metal engraving on the cylinder compare to what was done at the Belgium factory on other Centaure's?. From the picture's on GB the fine detail cannot be seen. CC
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 01:56:24 AM »
Attached are pics  of the Centaure proprietary naval scene.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline jthbjr

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 03:46:42 PM »
I have a Centennial 44 Army. It has silver plated trigger guard and no cut for a detachable stock. It was  the "Civilian Model" I have owned it since May 1964. Still have the black cardboard box it came in. It was my first cap lock gun. My Dad was a coin collector and antique seller as a sideline. He traded for it at a gun and coin show in Gatesville Tx. He knew that I really wanted an 1860 Army replica to shoot. I put a lot of lead through that pistol. At that time my everyday belt buckle was a Confederate infantry belt plate (well so much for my chances for Senate confirmation), so the pistol fit right in.
John
In beautiful Art, Texas

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 02:12:40 AM »
jtbhjr: would you care to share the serila number of your Centaure Civilian and the capital letter sideways under * (inspector mark) on the left side of the barrel lug, frame and close to the ELG in oval on the cylinder?
I would like to add her to the Centaure data bank over on the Centaure & FROCS website www.1960nma.org .
Thanks,
Long Johns Wolf

Offline jthbjr

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
Happy to help. C873. and the letter "K" appears in all the locations you mentioned. The top of the barrel is marked:
"1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"    CENTENNIAL TRADE MARK CHICAGO USA. The words "trade mark" are smaller but still all caps. The only thing not original is the trigger spring which broke and was replaced years ago. Hope this helps. I never thought anyone would be interested in the data on these. To me its pretty special. Its a permanent resident in my collection.
John
In beautiful Art, Texas.

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 02:54:05 AM »
Thanks for sharing the info: #C873 was made in 1963.
She is a 2nd variation Centaure Civilian model.
* over K sideways stands for Waltere Delsaux. He worked as an inspector at the Li?ge proof house from 1929 to 1968.
Thanks again.
Long Johns Wolf

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 11:29:16 PM »
I see the Centaure Prof Marvel posted from GunBroker sold for $306 + $25 Ship ($331). Was this a deal, a steal, too much, or what it was worth?

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 06:43:44 AM »
CC, hard to say. As it is better then most copies of the 1860, I'd say yes it's fair. But I bought a consecutive pair of twins to it for only $440 a few years ago. For the same money you could get a Uberti, but I'd rather have the Centaure.

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 06:55:06 AM »
Centaure prices are on the rise on both sides of the Big Pond even for run down variants.
Long Johns Wolf

Offline swampman

• blacksmith mechanic
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 09:50:20 AM »
It figures a Centaur comes along when I don't have the wampum. I've been wanting one for years but the recent Paterson acquisition put a big dent in available funds. Story of my life.  :-[
A lot of what is taken for engineering fact, if you dig into it far enough, is often just someone's opinion.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 11:20:26 PM »
The checkering on the Centaure's grips is definitely not factory. If you look at the seller's other auctions you can see that he has several other cap n' ball revolvers by various manufacturers from various time periods and they have the exact same style of checkering. It's pretty evident that this checkering was all done by the same person.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 12:32:25 AM »
Sold my Belgium 1860/1960 last year, unfired, in the original packing material and box for $450.00. I paid $175.00 at a Gun Show Four Years ago.
I still have another, it is converted to cartridge/ 45 Schofield. BTW; Not for sale, do not ask.

Below is the conversion, a Civilian model W/ Silver plated backstrap and trigger guard. Grips are original, I stripped the original finish and refinished. I was very surprised to see the beautiful grain pattern as it appears now. And yes, the original Barrel is re-blued to match the new conversion cylinder. CC frame is original.

This piece was also bought un-fired, without the original box. Paid $50.00 at an estate sale.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com