Author Topic: 50-70 Govt loading for Rem Rolling Block  (Read 5457 times)

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
50-70 Govt loading for Rem Rolling Block
« on: January 19, 2019, 01:14:07 PM »
I recently found a Lone Star Remington Rolling Block in 50-70 Govt. I’ve searching for years for this exact gun and finally found it and bought it right up! 

Now I have star line brass in 50-70 and the dies and just finished loading the first 15 rds with a lead bullet from Buffalo Arms. 65, 67, and 70 grains of Goex FF with a 215 Fed magnum primer. I’m compressing about 1/2 inch with a compression die and using a veg card wad to seat the bullet on.

I’m thinking of doing a duplex load with a 5 grain powder charge at the base, with 4759 powder. However I haven’t decided what FF powder charge (s) I should try. I could use some thoughts / suggestions/ chit chat since this rifle is unfired. Thanks !

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: 50-70 Govt loading for Rem Rolling Block
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »
Get this book!

https://www.wolfeoutdoorsports.com/shooting-buffalo-rifles-of-the-old-west/

With the proper lube and bullet design, I've never found duplexing necessary myself.  The .50-70 will easily reach rated velocity with BP alone, and the proper design carries plenty of lube to keep fouling soft.  I use a drop tube, and rarely compress more than the width of a driving band.  I have found it the easiest of BP calibers to load.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 03:12:34 PM »
Also, if you can find it, "The .50-70 shooters handbook" by Croft Barker is a fine read.

For smokeless, I load 28 grains of 5744 under the Government 450 grain bullet (Lee Mold)   But BP clean up of my .50-70 carbine is so easy I rarely bother.  I have a rolling block in .43 Spanish I treat the same way after a BP session: stick a kitchen funnel in the breach, pour a cup of water down the barrel, a couple of dry patch's and a Ballistol patch, and put it away.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:54:04 PM »

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 12:11:56 PM »
I've owned two 50-70s in the past and loaded and shot both for a number of years. Never saw the need or rational for duplex load, or magnum primers for that matter. Keeping it simple and close to original worked best for me.

Dave

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 05:45:59 PM »
Thanks guys. I’ll run it out to the range this week and try to post my results here afterwards! Thx J

Offline Dave Fox

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 08:17:53 AM »
A half inch is a lot of compression.

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 10:34:08 AM »
Both;

Lyman Reloading Handbook, 46th Edition, and

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd Edition,

Show duplex loading's for the .50-70 as well as smokeless, black powder and Pyrodex CTG loading's.

Lyman 47th New Edition Reloading Handbook, drops the duplex loading's.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 01:44:33 PM »
I haven't bought anything gun related in months. I decided to treat myself to Croft Baker's book. Good grief! Some folks want a lot of money for that volume. Highest price I found was $300, used. Best price was just over $100, new. Splurged and bought it. Hope it's got lots of pictures! (LOL)

Dave

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 01:00:21 PM »
I recently found a Lone Star Remington Rolling Block in 50-70 Govt. I’ve searching for years for this exact gun and finally found it and bought it right up! 

Now I have star line brass in 50-70 and the dies and just finished loading the first 15 rds with a lead bullet from Buffalo Arms. 65, 67, and 70 grains of Goex FF with a 215 Fed magnum primer. I’m compressing about 1/2 inch with a compression die and using a veg card wad to seat the bullet on.

I’m thinking of doing a duplex load with a 5 grain powder charge at the base, with 4759 powder. However I haven’t decided what FF powder charge (s) I should try. I could use some thoughts / suggestions/ chit chat since this rifle is unfired. Thanks !
Try the original "duplex" load about 5gs of 4f then your regular BP powder.
wM1
Edited to clarify duplex load.
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 01:50:42 PM »
Just a thought-suggestion on my part,
I would not recommend using a "duplex" load in any original firearm made before 1892.
The different powders can cause the burn rate to change within each powder. This burn rate can cause pressure spikes that the firearm was not designed to take.
I wish you all well...
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 02:30:29 PM »
If you want a good  CAS load for smokeless, use 13 grains of Trail Boss under that 450 grain bullet.  Works great!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 09:37:42 AM »
I do not understand the rational behind a priming charge of black powder under a main charge of smokeless. Could someone please explain why one would do this?

Dave

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 10:27:25 AM »
I do not understand the rational behind a priming charge of black powder under a main charge of smokeless. Could someone please explain why one would do this?

Dave

BP is much easier to ignite than smokeless. Example. Shottie ammo makers found quickly that a hotter primer was needed for the early bulk smokeless powders. The #209 was born.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 11:02:41 AM »

Dave
Normal duplex load is the other way around. Folks will use a small chg of smokiless under a main chg of BP (this is a modern duplex load). The ODG's would use a small chg of 4f then a normal chg of your regular BLACK POWDER.
kR 
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 12:05:09 PM »
We used about a half # of BP behind the main charge on the 8" howitzer.  I never weighed the main charge but my guess was 30-40#.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 12:08:05 PM »
I’m thinking of doing a duplex load with a 5 grain powder charge at the base, with 4759 powder.

I've known about putting a small charge of smokeless under a main charge of black for years. The above was what I was asking about. I've never heard of 4759 being that hard to ignite.

Dave

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 03:26:52 PM »
I'm not entirely sure whether he is  talking about using the 4759 under BP or what. Sounds odd. The only way you could use a small chg of BP under 4759 is if the case were full as it would not stay in place without compression.
wM1

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 04:34:46 PM »
I have used 2.7 grains of IMR4227 under 29 grains of 2Fg or 3Fg, in the .44-40 with compression to prevent mixing, with a 200 grain Big Lube Bullet.

The load produces a smaller amount of smoke that a black powder only load and leaves a clean barrel like a smokeless load.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 05:13:56 PM »
I have used 2.7 grains of IMR4227 under 29 grains of 2Fg or 3Fg, in the .44-40 with compression to prevent mixing, with a 200 grain Big Lube Bullet.

The load produces a smaller amount of smoke that a black powder only load and leaves a clean barrel like a smokeless load.

Man do I feel dumb. I don't get this one either. If you're after less smoke and a cleaner barrel, shoot smokeless.

Shaking my head in confusion,
Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com