Author Topic: "Adapt & Overcome"  (Read 2254 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Adapt & Overcome"
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »
Earlier I mentioned that I would be shooting in a 'military rifle' match today ....

It being a long week end here, turnout was low - 6 shooters. Normally we would have 10-12. We shot four passes at $2 a throw, winner of each pass taking the pot. We shot steel at 100-150-200-300-385 yards. The first two off hand, the rest sitting, kneeling or off hand. Only one brave soul shot all targets off-hand as he is physically unable to do anything else.

I got into a shoot-off with my '03 Springfield against a sporterized .303 Lee-Enfield with a cut down barrel and after-market plastic stock, allowed by the 'rules'. We shot off-hand at 385 yds(!) to amuse the others. On the 3rd shot, he won. He won a pass later.

One lone SKS shooter showed up late, so I shot my Garand in that pass. Again, I got into a shoot-off at 385, this time with a 6.5mm Swede M38. He won on the 2nd shot. After that, I shot only the Garand and won a pass - 4/5 hits, missing at 385.

There was some discussion about the 'rules' and it was thought that those whose rifles had peep sights had an advantage! Three rifles were so equipped - my Garand, and two .303 No. 4 Longbranch Lee-Enfields.

I'm hoping to steer these guys into using the NRA Garand/Military Rifle rules - WITH SLINGS!  Wish me luck .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: "Adapt & Overcome"
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »
Best of luck! Garands should have slings!
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »

There was some discussion about the 'rules' and it was thought that those whose rifles had peep sights had an advantage! Three rifles were so equipped - my Garand, and two .303 No. 4 Longbranch Lee-Enfields.

I'm hoping to steer these guys into using the NRA Garand/Military Rifle rules - WITH SLINGS!  Wish me luck .....

I don't kow....from the way their previous rule making went, they may decide to ban peep sights....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:06:44 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:14:27 AM »
Have faith ....

the way we work things, you don't like the way somebody runs a match, you just inherited the job. I will do a little lobbying and eventually will offer to be the match director as per the 'rules' I used before.

We shot on the full-size RCMP silhouette target posted at 200 yds. We backed up (advanced to the rear) 50 yds and shot 5 rds off-hand. We backed up in 50 yd increments to the 200 yd mark where you could sand bag rest, go prone, whatever. In all phases, you could use a sling.
There were time limits for all phases, more time allowed for bolt guns. I'd have to check my files for details.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com