Author Topic: Uberti 1862 police  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Uberti 1862 police
« on: November 09, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »
Got my 2019 made Uberti in the mail yesterday. Looks very nice out of the box but before even cocking it I did a complete disassembly. Fit and finish inside and out is quite good with nearly no machine marks. The base pin to barrel length is just right although the hole in the barrel assembly is a bit large. Timing and lock up is right on with just a bit of creep to the trigger. I did find a burr in the hand channel which prevented reassembly. A few passes with a jewelers file fixed that. Shooting today at 25 yards yielded groups of 2" wide by 4" tall with the nearly none existent sights. Point of impact is 16" high. Point shooting at 10 paces grouped were I was looking never bring the pistol above my waist. Cap jams are common and I believe is mosty due to the vent in the nipples. I have given thought to making a 1860 style front sight for it to put it more to point of aim. Over all I'm pleased with what is my latest project gun. 
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Uberti 1862 police
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 05:57:54 PM »
Is this the Pocket 5 shooter, or the Cut Down 1861?
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »
Drydock, the cut down '61 is from Pietta, the Uberti is the 5 shooter like the originals. I have a pair of them,one Uberti and the other an older one marked Navy Arms, I suppose Uberti made them too. Had the same cap jam problems, I never tried any different nipples, though. My theory is, the hammer is lighter than the 1851/60/61 hammers, so there's less "mass" to resist the gas escaping from the vent in the nipple.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:16:29 PM »

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 09:07:50 PM »
In the armory is a Uberti 5 shooter and the cap jam problem was solved with a cap rake. I can't remember if it has Slixshot nipples, but the revolver is not at hand to check.
All my other gunz have cap rakes and Slixshot nipples so as long as I use Remmy#10  cap jams.are a thing of the past
However using CCI #11 or RWS 1075 caps do give occasional jams at the the frame, but not down in the hammer channel type jams.
YMMV
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 09:38:01 PM »
Ditto what Bunk says!   I started to post the very same thing. Cap posts are a little different install on pocket guns.

The paper thin metal where I usually screw them in is not adequate so I drill and tap further back and at maybe a 30 deg. angle (forward of course). This will allow 2 things, 1. It will help in the final positioning (bending) of the post and 2. It will ad another "anchor" for the arbor (so make sure your arbor isn't loose. Chuck it up in a vice and see if it wiggles .  .  .  even new ones! If needed, correct it first (duh!!)).
  After drilling and tapping, screw the "too long" post in with red locktite. After a few minutes, bend the post forward and down into "normal position". Trim with a cutoff wheel and dress with a file to fit the width of the notch in the hammer face. Slot the hammer to clear the post.  Taah daahh!!!

Note: to make a post, I sand (bench belt sander) the threads off a #6 S.S. machine screw for maybe 1/2". Cut the thread-less shaft off along with about 3 or 4 threads.  The stainless is soft enough to bend, tough enough to not break.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 10:19:58 PM »
All sound advice I'm sure. Slix Shot doesn't sell nipples for these little pistols (I looked) and the basic concept of a cap rack is appealing to me. But I've never seen one. Could one of you fine gentlemen post a drawing or a couple of photos of a pistol so equipped. Perhaps despite my limited talents I could cobble my 62 with one.
Member, whiskey livers

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 10:53:01 PM »
Here ya go. The original pic was too big so I reduced it till it would fit.  The front facing view I have is too blurry once blown up that much (it'll make ya sick to your stomach!! Lol)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 08:52:47 AM »
Kent,
 if you will look at the articles by Larson E Pettifogger posted by Major 2 at the top of the Darksiders Den you will find a complete set of  instruction with pictures to show you a "how to". The only thing is that frame is so small you may want to go to the pros. 
This is what I have had done to several of my guns including an1892 Police and they all are exceptionally reliable.
Good luck
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 09:36:32 AM »

Cap Jams with the little guns, or the big guns, is not caused by the hammer being too small or too light.  Especially as heavy as the OEM main spring is.  It is partially caused by roughness of the hammer face and the "safety" notch. 

There is a bunch needs done to a Uberti to make them user friendly.  Best bet is to READ Larsen E. Pettifoggers tutorial.

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 12:13:35 PM »
Now I have a fair understanding of this hi tec modification. I'll let you all know if I make a better pistol out of this cute hog leg or a paper weight. Here's the before picture.
IMG_0453 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Member, whiskey livers

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 12:23:24 PM »
Good deal!! If you still have my number, give me a call if you have any questions.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 01:24:51 PM »
As mentioned, my main problem is that minuscule front post and hammer notch.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
John,
   It's either that or caps falling into the action (that "minuscule " post does a "Herculean" job!!). The notch is already there and remains the same width as it was (you retain the same footprint). Actually, the originals were much narrower than what you see today.  So, de-burring the safety notch, polishing it and adding a cap post is about as close as 100% as you'll get.  Unless, .  .  .   you add an "action shield" which is a cover for the action that I developed. It mounts on the hammer (so, it's just along for the ride!)! It seals off the hammer slot and keeps any cap frags out of the action (which the hammer slot is a direct entry to). It also has a "claw" at the end that will keep presenting the debris each time you cock the action. That will allow you to turn the revolver over and dump the offending intruder!! Works perfectly!

As an aside, it pretty much mitigates any fouling ( being blown down the hammer slot) from entering the action. Keeps the Mobil 1 that I pack the frame with very clean! So much so that I think a "once a year" inspection of the action is all a SASS shooter needs as far as cleaning the action. If it looks OK, check next year!
 For the casual shooter, it's a "lifetime" deal. Just clean the cylinder and barrel, wipe down the hammer and frame, yer done with cleaning chores!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 02:57:15 PM »
Kent,
I did not have my 1862 at hand. All my others have cap rakes and slixshot nipples so I assumed they did also..With the
Capt Schaeffer guns that have a cap rake and slixshot nipples each got 150 rounds and the only cap jams were when i used CCI#11 or RWS #1075.
A pair of 1860 Army Uberti equipped with cap rake.slixshot nipples and Remington #10 caps (only) have a total of 600 rounds with out a jam so far and a barrel record was kept on both guns.
Cap Rakes work there is no doubt in my mind after using them on 11 different revolvers, but only when  used with Remington#10 caps and Slixshot nipples (shameless plug)
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk.

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 01:24:41 PM »
I replaced the 'something of nothing' front sight with a Pietta 1851 Navy sight and then opened up the hammer notch to
match the new front sight. The extra height of the new front cone lowered the point of impact. I also took the time opening the hammer notch to slightly adjust for windage. Since the last range paper work, I have reduced the powder charge from 12grs. to 8.5grs. and the groups hit 3" above point of aim.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 04:44:42 PM »
I used a little emory cloth and my finger to break the sharp edges on the hammer face and notch.  Seemed to eliminate most cap jams, though I still roll the revolver to the right as I cock it.  Wish they  made Slixshot nipples for the Pockets, really like my Pocket Navy.  Great woods gun for armidillos.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 01:22:00 PM »
I think I will be able to salvage this pistol! With the generous advice, particularly from Mike, there is my interpatient of a cap rake. There is still the front sight to deal with so it will be a while before I can test it. The arbor was loose so I remover the locking pin and added lock tight and an over size lock pin. The screw that I had on hand is a 5x40 and I put it in at a 30 degree. It did break threw to the recess for the ratchet but so slightly as to cause no problem. Next that sight.

IMG_0457 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Member, whiskey livers

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 03:38:14 PM »
Dang!! Good job KS!! 

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »
RC John,
   I just reread your post and realized I totally misunderstood what you typed!! Pardon me!!! I reckon I had "cap POST" on the brain and the "notch" translated into "safety notch".     Holy Cow!!!  (Wish youda said something !!  ;D)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 03:59:44 PM »
Mike, no worries, I left you to your own devices.
I find often when I try to explain myself I usually end up making things clear as mud.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com