Author Topic: Cap & Ball without wads or lube?  (Read 20538 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
Re: Cap & Ball without wads or lube?
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2019, 03:04:01 AM »
Also, I've carried these guns loaded in every environment from rainforest downpours to desert heat and the 1858 has always been dependable in every condition. Even despite months of neglect the 1858 Remingtons are above and beyond my expectations. They take a lot of abuse and can hold up and still shoot in the dankest of conditions. Simple is better. Just the cap and powder and a .454 roundball is all you need for these guns. They're designed for a rugged life. Don't treat them too softly, they're powerhouses designed for war.

Jesse, is that you?

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline scrubby2009

• Very Active Citizen
  • Lifelong obsession with '73's
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2019, 09:37:40 AM »
.. carried these guns loaded in every environment from rainforest downpours to desert heat and the 1858 has always been dependable in every condition... above and beyond my expectations. They take a lot of abuse and can hold up and still shoot... designed for a rugged life. Don't treat them too softly, they're powerhouses designed for war.
Couldn't agree more. I additionally switched to paper cartridges with rebated conical bullets, carry my transition-NMA daily. In a Chevy. Beside me on a benchseat. (Kind of old fashioned that way)
Responsive, timely, tactically accurate, and strategically precise fire.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »
I suppose if your aggressor is a 1900th century antagonist and are armed with a simlar C&B or Bow & arrow ...you are golden.....

However, in the given here and present the likley thug is out to do you dirt .... I'd seek something beyond a pyrodex loaded cap gun.... opinions do vary !
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 11:12:32 AM »

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2019, 07:45:21 PM »
I suppose if your aggressor is a 1900th century antagonist and are armed with a simlar C&B or Bow & arrow ...you are golden.....

However, in the given here and present the likley thug is out to do you dirt .... I'd seek something beyond a pyrodex loaded cap gun.... opinions do vary !

Ah My Good Major -
opinions may vary , but I agree with yours!

I personally feel that  cartridges are for business, and C&B is for fun....
if they made an ultralightweight 10mm with 20 round mags, I would be all over it....

In the Great Southwest, things can be all peachy and lovey then get dicy in a hurry.
many folks further south of the Colorado line actually making a living herding critters to sell for meat.

and there are a LOT of rustlers trying to get that meat for free.  In the past , the (formely) dirt cheap SKS rifles were (at the time
under $100!)  quite popular and called "Ranch Specials.  back then the theft was small-timers.

However in the last 15-20 years rustlers have gone from taking an occasional head to more spectaular efforts.

One bunch made the news by stealing a Ranchers Truck and Cattle Trailer, blowing thru the barbed wire, and heading
out into the prairie to load up his stock!

Fortunately the newsworthy part was that the Rancher and his foreman ( a couple of miles apart) were somehow alerted
(they demurred on "how they were alerted" ) and converged on the foul miscreants with several black rifles, dozens of the dreaded
"hi-cap" magazines, and experience from the Sandbox to back it all up.

The rustlers ran like hell, but it's hard to go far on shot out tires, so they were easy to find when the Sherrif and State patrol showed up.
The State Patrol asked the Rancher if his wife and family were ok, and he replied, why yes, thanks they are gaurding the house and barn
with their Hello Kitty AR's.

I expect that would have made a fine TV show...

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2019, 12:07:34 PM »

;D  ;D   ;D   ::)  Most rolled off da sofa.  Gotta agree.  In this day and age, Caliber, Capacity and Reach all have a part to play.  Having to face off against a Hi-Cap Rifle wid a Cap Gun would leave me somewhat .... unwilling to participate.  Unless the baddie were looking the other way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com