Author Topic: Uberti replacement hammer problems.  (Read 542 times)

Offline John Spartan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Uberti replacement hammer problems.
« on: December 27, 2023, 03:12:21 PM »
Own two Cimarron Model P's (retractable firing pin) with a third on the way after a long back order.
Based on discussions here I decided to order three sets of the "old style" (non-retractable firing pins) Uberti Cattlemen hammers and triggers - essentially to turn the "3 click" Model P into a "4 clicker" to see if I liked it better.

Problem: The fixed firing pin hammers do not line up perfectly with the firing pin hole in the frame when installed. Tried all three hammers. Two would not fit (line up) at all into the hole and the third did but was "bindy" with obvious drag and friction going through the hole.

What should be my next step to resolve this problem?

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Uberti replacement hammer problems.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 03:36:46 PM »
My understanding is that the distance from the pivot to the firing pin (hole) is adjusted in the Colt's factory by selecting a hammer of the correct height.  You can't move the hole in the recoil shield and you can't move the holes that hold the hammer pivot pin in the frame.  That means, I'm sorry to say, you'll have to find hammers with the correct dimensions.  The hole in the hammer, behind the firing pin, is used in the factory for inserting a rod through the hammer and recoil shield to determine if the hammer at hand is the correct height.  That is the first step in picking parts for assembly.  Sorry.

Offline John Spartan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 07:22:14 PM »
Well thanks for the info but it seems difficult to imagine, with all the vendors selling hammers, that each one is a "custom fit to the gun" so to speak - or I'm having a run of bad luck.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:17:00 PM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 07:06:20 AM »
Sounds like a run of bad luck. I have a pair of Uberti 38-40 revolvers that are the 3 click models. The firing pins were striking the primers off center. A gunsmith friend of mine made new firing pins and relocated the fp hole in the frame so they contact the primer in the center. Yesterday I replaced the hammer in on of them with a hammer from another Uberti revolver and the firing pin lined up perfectly with the newly located fp hole.
 Just asking did the original hammers fp hit the center of the primer? If not maybe that is the problem.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 09:58:33 AM »
 :) John  ;)

Uberti doesn't use a hardened recoil plate in their guns.  It is possible to weld up the firing pin hole and relocate (a little costly).  So long as the OEM firing pin is center striking the primers, I would suggest just bushing the firing pin so it can't retract and just live with three clicks, always loading with an empty chamber under the hammer.

Bushing the firing pin may necessitate removing the actuating rod from the hammer.

Offline John Spartan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 02:52:36 PM »
Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions. For future search engine queries...
Late last night I contacted the seller of these hammers and triggers (the ever helpful Jim Finch of Long Hunters) and he responded earlier today.

"Sometimes the firing pin may be stuck from the bluing salts. At least that's what I've found. Use a small hammer and tap the firing pin down and up. That should free it up. When they're stuck, the firing pin will normally hit at the top of the hole. A couple of light taps will free it up."

And he was exactly correct on all counts. Put the hammers in a padded vise one at a time and tapped them from all angles with a polymer rod and hammer.
Success! Two installed and working just fine.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1218
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 02:55:25 PM »
Thanks for the update and the tip from Jim!  :)

I'm curious, though, why there would be bluing salts?  The spare hammers I've seen were all case-hardened, so the only blued part is the firing pin which would have been previously blued before installing in the hammer.  Or maybe it was the salts that they heat the hammers in to CC them.

Offline John Spartan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 04:19:33 PM »
My impression was smaller blued parts (firing pin in this case) are not always completely rinsed after bluing. Guess my batch was one of them. Just glad the fix was easy.

Offline John Spartan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 08:33:25 PM »
Just asking did the original hammers fp hit the center of the primer? If not maybe that is the problem.
wM1

Sorry. Was so happy my problem was easily resolved I forgot to get back to you. Yes the original retractable firing pin hammers were hitting center on the primer. With much gusto actually. Big impacts with occasional pierced primers but always in the center.
In fact I was perfectly happy with the Uberti safety system (in that I had zero problems with it) but wanted to try "4 clicks" for historical panache.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2023, 06:17:29 AM »
I recently bought a 4 click from Jim. He is a great guy to deal with.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com