Author Topic: Federal Primers  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Federal Primers
« on: April 07, 2022, 05:05:11 PM »
 I use CCI primers, have for years but as my supply dwindles...
I did not turn up my nose when I was able to get some Federal LP primers.
I loaded about 150 45 ACP, with no issue.

However, today I was given a critique :-\

it was suggested...
 "Federal primers are soft and can detonate seating them using a conventual press 
(in my case a Lee Turret) ??

Anyone seen or heard this?  a search turned up nothing  :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Federal Primers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 05:13:17 PM »
I just finished the last of 700 Federal LP primers, loaded on an elderly Lee Turret press.  Still here.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 06:39:31 PM »
That's a good thing  :)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:24:04 PM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 09:18:56 PM »
 A LEE turret, is all i'v ever had, seated maybe 8-10,000 FED. primers of different sizes, never a flash.

coffee's ready,  Hootmix.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 09:24:51 PM »
Never had any primer go off while loading on my Lee turret.  I've used it since 1992. About 10 yrs ago I switched to a Lee hand primer. Now I prime in the house on the sofa!! (Still no problems) I load Fed Large and small primers and sometimes Winchesters.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 06:05:43 AM »
Thanks, I'll chalk it up to some wag " propagating the myth then " . 

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 06:20:55 AM »
I use Federals on a Hornady A&P with no problems.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 06:57:46 AM »
I followed up my search, and found it seemed to center around older Lee Load-Master and Pro 1000 Progressive presses.
Apparently, the priming setup, where if the shell plate timing gets off....yada yada
Seems LEE added an indexing pin to those newer presses.

I have a LEE Classic Turret Press and I don't use the progressive rod feature, or an auto feeder.
So its a non-issue in my case  :)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2022, 07:08:51 AM »
I've used Federal primers off and on for 46 years of reloading (both small and large pistol) with no problems. While CCI and Winchester get most of the use, I've never had any concern using Federals. I will say I use a single stage RCBS RockChucker only and not a progressive press, I do all of my primer seating using a Lee hand primer. On my 2nd one, wore the 1st one out I bought in the late 70's. Don't care for the newer style they now produce. Lee does have a note though with the primer not to use any more than 50 Federals at one time in the tray as the Feds are rated with a softer cup than others available. IMO this is a lawyer fueled CYA litigation thing like Ruger stamping 'Read the Manuel' stamped all over the barrel.

If needed, I've always dumped 100 primers (including Feds) from the primer tray into the Lee. I don't bounce and rattle the handprimer around like a rattle when priming, beats me how a primer could get detonated in the close primer tray and lid anyway. I do know of a handloader some 40 years ago that was using a primer tube feeder while loading. It exploded sending primer shrapnel into his hand and face. He escaped with no serious injury, but his hand and face looked like 'crap'. Things went off when he was loading/pressing the primers into the tube. I only used the RCBS press supplied tube feeders for a couple of years, they were to slow and I thought at the time a bit dangerous.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2022, 07:45:55 AM »

:)  HARRUMPF  ;)

I would also have to chalk that "critique" up to some lame lump with no knowledge, repeating and propagating an old wives tale.  Some lame brains will repeat anything in an attempt to make themselves look marvelous.

Play Safe Out There

PS:  Almost forgot, I load Federal primers exclusively on my Dillon 650s (yes, plural) and after several hundred thousand rounds, nada poppa.  Burma Shave

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2022, 08:49:40 AM »
I've never used any Federal primers, and I've never used a turret press, but my Lee single stage did mess up a Winchester primer once, so I suppose I COULD bad mouth the Winchester primers, but I won't, because it was MY fault. If the primer is not inserted correctly into the arm, and you try to seat it into the primer pocket, it WILL get sort of messed up.

It seems there is a learning curve to just about everything.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 10:28:53 AM »
That "critique" is "El Toro Poopoo".

Dave

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2022, 09:13:06 PM »
I've never had any problems with Federal primers going off in the press, either. Like Froogal, in my approximately 50 years of reloading, I've had primers get started sideways in the case, and then the only way to get the case out of the shell holder is to basically mash the sideways primer down flat enough. Never had one of those pop. Also seated a few upside down, just punched them out with a decapping die, then load the primer again the right way. Also never popped one doing that.

The ONLY reason I don't prefer Federal primers is-that huge box they come in! Don't store well in ammo cans, like CCI or Winchester. And the box is bigger than the old style round Lee primer trays, making it less convenient to load the tray.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2022, 09:58:15 PM »
Reloaders have loaded forty seven quintillion Federal Primers on Lee presses with FEW problems.  In 60 years of handloading I have had ONE primer go off and that was in a Dillon 650.  For the anal and worry worts this is off the Lee website -

Please note: Lee Precision has tested the tool by intentionally setting off a variety of brands and types of primers. Our testing has demonstrated that wearing safety glasses and hearing protection will prevent serious injury. However, all types of FEDERAL BRAND LARGE PRIMERS frequently caused the entire tray to explode with sufficient force to cause serious and painful injuries. These primers must be fed individually, see step 7 of product instructions, single priming option.

I do not know anyone that wears hearing protection while reloading.  However, anyone that does not wear safety glasses is a fool.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com