Author Topic: Clicker Die Holster Blanks  (Read 825 times)

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Clicker Die Holster Blanks
« on: March 14, 2024, 07:25:05 AM »
I hate cutting out holsters more than anything in this hobby. Is there anyone selling authentic holster blanks?

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Clicker Die Holster Blanks
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 09:02:07 AM »
I don't know anyone who sells holster blanks. Here's a holster making video that shows a great way to cut out a holster, or any other odd shaped leather item for that matter.

Just watch it from about 2:30 to 3:35. I do it much like he does and it makes cutting things out a heck of a lot easier than other methods. I use an X-Acto like he does and it takes all the effort out of it. Keep sharp blades in the knife. It makes a difference.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 03:33:47 PM »
You could always order your own clicker dies if you have a press.

I have thought about getting some dies made of the holsters I make the most of but they are expensive and I just haven't yet. I just cut them out like most people.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:44:27 AM »

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 06:32:11 PM »
I never make enough of the same holster to justify going down the clicker route. When I finish one, I see things I want different on the next one(s).

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 09:50:56 PM »
Same here Marshal, about the only one was at one time I was making so many 7 1/2 inch SAA Cheyenne Meanea/Collins style holsters that I actually thought about getting a die since my leather supplier offered for me to use their press if I had any dies made. He said some Amish in our area would make the dies but I actually think I could make the dies myself just never bothered trying.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 09:40:18 AM »
I used a sabre saw and thin plywood to make a template for a slim jim that I thought I would make more of.   It took a lot of fine tuning.   It got really dry one winter and it cracked.    It worked well to have a great consistent pattern

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 09:58:59 AM »
In the 1970's and 1980's, I leased USM Hytronic Clicker Presses to die cut vinyl sheeting.

Clicker Presses are used extensively in the Shoe industry and would be excellent for clicking holster blanks. As mentioned, they are expensive. I’m guessing that a decent used Clicker press is probably in the $5000 range. A new one in the 1970’s was around $2800. They are also very heavy and require a study floor along with being difficult to put in a basement.

There are two types of dies, forged steel and steel rule. Steel rule dies are for short runs and do not hold up. I'm guessing that a forged steel die for a holster could be in the $300 to $500 range depending on the complexity. I used to buy forged steel clicker dies from a company called Ontario Die
https://www.odctooling.com/Cutting-Dies.htm   I'm going to contact them and try to get a quote on a forged steel holster die.

In my humble opinion, you would need very high volume to justify using a Clicker press.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 10:52:50 AM »
Thanks for the video. I've never had the chance to work a clicker press. I certainly won't be putting one of those in my loft. ;D

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 01:21:48 PM »
Just out of curiosity, I sent a drawing to Ontario Die and two other companies to find out the going price on forged steel clicker dies. I'll post the results and my comments.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 01:39:14 PM »
It will be interesting to hear what they say, Johnny. Thanks for doing that.

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 03:25:08 PM »
My idea is to have a die made for a slim Jim holster and pop out couple dozen blanks and possibly sell a few to compensate for the die. Local shoe guy told me I could use his press to knock them out.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 04:00:53 PM »
My idea is to have a die made for a slim Jim holster and pop out couple dozen blanks and possibly sell a few to compensate for the die. Local shoe guy told me I could use his press to knock them out.
There might be a good market for die-cut Holster blanks, especially Slim-Jim's. Having a press to use would be a big help in keeping the costs down.

I've requested quotes on a Slim-Jim Holster die from three forged steel clicker die makers. I'll post the information as i receive it. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Thirty years ago, a one-up Slim-Jim Holster would around 100 bucks or so.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 09:40:33 PM »
I don't know anyone who sells holster blanks. Here's a holster making video that shows a great way to cut out a holster, or any other odd shaped leather item for that matter.
Just watch it from about 2:30 to 3:35. I do it much like he does and it makes cutting things out a heck of a lot easier than other methods. I use an X-Acto like he does and it takes all the effort out of it. Keep sharp blades in the knife. It makes a difference.
Thanks Marshall
I really gotta try and remember how to do that.  I've only seen that dang video about twice before today, and I still cut the leather with the blade facing down.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2024, 11:23:17 PM »
Thanks Marshall
I really gotta try and remember how to do that.  I've only seen that dang video about twice before today, and I still cut the leather with the blade facing down.
Later
After I first tried it, it became my method on all complex shapes. It's much easier on all but most long straight cuts or gradual curves. With a blade facing down, you have to cut toward yourself. I stopped cutting towards myself many years ago. I like to cut away from myself, even when using a conventional round or other leather knife. I use fewer Band-aids that way.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2024, 10:04:10 AM »
Just received the first quotation on a forged steel clicker die for a Slim-Jim Holster. The price is $625.00 for a 1/4" x 1-1/4" steel die with a 12-14 day delivery. Seem's awfully high but I may be out of touch. I'm anxious to see what the other guy's quotes will be.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2024, 11:01:38 AM »
That does sound high, but then, they may not make the dies themselves and farm that out. If I went to a local fab shop to have one made here, it would probably be three hours' total labor at about $125/hr which would put the cost at about $375 plus materials. Tack on your profit and you're there. Last year two simple poly shackle bearings for my RV cost me $300 to have made. Prices are up these days.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2024, 05:10:53 PM »
I just received another quote. $114.00 plus freight.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2024, 05:49:36 PM »
Lessee... $625 vs $114. One sounds too high and the other sounds too low. It'll be interesting to hear what the third quote is.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2024, 05:51:43 PM »
Lessee... $625 vs $114. One sounds too high and the other sounds too low. It'll be interesting to hear what the third quote is.
My sentiments exactly.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2024, 05:54:11 PM »
The midpoint would be $369.50. I would expect that to be more realistic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com