Special Interests - Groups & Societies > USFA CSS

USFA Serial numbers..definative? Help make it so?

(1/8) > >>

yahoody:

--- Quote from: what would you say ---Likely that Gary Granger is one of the few and really the only person ( that often responds on this forum )that can answer your question accurately about production differences,  as he was employed at USFA and a manager there.   The rest of us will be telling you what we have learned from Gary and seen posted from him and learned from others.....Uberti parts were still used up through the 21XXX serial range. 
--- End quote ---

For some time now I have been tracking serial numbers for, Uberti parts guns verse USA built guns. so that the buying and resulting values can be easier to determine.

These are guns I have personal knowledge of:

21213 parts gun
21215 parts gun
21651 parts gun
22113 parts gun
22180 parts gun*  transitional guns by the # out of order?

22154 USA gun*  transitional guns by the # out of order?
22293 cone USA
22421  cone firing pin
22934 cone USA gun

Can anyone else add to the 22XXX range data?  Easiest way is to know the difference is by the firing pin.  Full cone like this one is likely a USA gun.

Tapered cone shown below on a USFA parts gun.

22155-22300- are the numbers I'd really like to see.

Capt. John Fitzgerald:
I have one that might help - #22293. It has the conical firing pin.  I have always assumed that it was one of the "all US" made guns.  All of my other USFA's have much later numbers, 26XXX to 73XXX range (73XXX being a Double Eagle, the last gun I ordered/received from them before they gave up on SA's).

If only we had known that this would happen!  I would have kept records of exactly when each gun was purchased.

yahoody:
Good stuff Cap.  Thank you.  I go back and add them in as people post the info.  Be sure to dbl check my work and make sure I put them in the right place!

Advertising:

Capt. John Fitzgerald:
Best of luck to you on your endeavor, Yahoody. 
I, for one, have always bee a little bit baffled by USFA's serial number system.  For example; in May of 2005 I ordered a 4", ejectorless sheriff model.  It's serial number is 285XX.  More than three years later, Nov. of 2008, I ordered a 5 & 1/2" model.  Its serial number is 262XX.  More than 2300 lower than the gun received three years before.

Another point of interest…  when did they start stamping the three figures inside the hammer channel of the frame?
Here is an example from one of mine, the gun ordered in Nov. of 2008:

T2

Gary informed us, here on the forum, that the T stood for the lot number of steel used, 2 for the CNC pallet number, and the second 2 for the position of the gun frame on the pallet.  It was all part of their quality control system.

Pangaea:
My conversation with Gary indicated that at some point in manufacture there were small numeral gaps in the ATF book of assigned serial numbers and the matching guns that were supposed to go with them.  In order to satisfy the ATF's disdain for this kind of bookkeeping, some later guns were given these earlier serial numbers in ranges that do not comply with the "transition" period or specific date times.

I'm pretty sure that is the way he explained it.  If not, hopefully Gary will correct me.

Philip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version