Author Topic: Tom Horn  (Read 6445 times)

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Tom Horn
« on: December 30, 2021, 04:55:44 PM »
Anyone got one? I see several on Gunbroker, just wondered what the thoughts were an this model.
King Medallion

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Tom Horn
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 05:51:46 PM »
It is just a regular '76 with blued frame and a tang sight.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 09:47:39 AM »
That's what I figured, just wondered if anyone had one and what they thought of it.
King Medallion

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:01:03 AM »

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 01:23:31 PM »
I always thought that the tang sight and mount was the ugliest abomination one could put on any rifle. There are proper choices available for the '76 Uberti that does not hurt the eyes.  Remember it was a Hollywood creation, nothing more, akin to Josh Randall's goofy rendition of a lever gun.
kw

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 01:35:29 PM »
The tang sight is weird looking, I agree.  But seems I've seen that style before so not sure it was a Hollyweird creation.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 03:08:17 PM »

:)  Personally   ;)

I have always thought the '76 needed a gun Carriage and Trails with a tractor to drag it around.  Some Heavy they are.  Yuck.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 03:35:51 PM »
Wheres all the negativity coming from? Its a blue finish winchester as most originals were i think its gorgeous. The sight can be used upgraded or removed whats the big deal? Heavy? I suspect most of us could use the exercise. I'd buy one in a second and spend a year in the field with it.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 03:49:56 PM »
Some thirty odd years ago I had an original someone had chopped down to 20".  It only had a few inches of magazine sticking out of the fore end as well.  Barrel was a mess inside so I sent it off to Clifford LaBounty in Washington state to re-bored and reline.  Asked him to cut it to a .457" groove diameter and chamber it for the 45-60 Win cartridge.  Loved that thing. It became my favorite rifle to take to the desert or mountains for black powder rock busting.  Thinking back on that rifle made me interested in the '76 Short Rifle discussed here a while back.  I was ready to buy one if the reports hadn't come back so negative.

Sorry Coffinmaker, they don't need a gun carriage, just someone who appreciates them.  (smile)

Dave

Offline locolarry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 08:03:32 PM »
New to the forum. Ordered the Tom Horn last week.( Ugly hollywood tang sight included. . . hehe) Should have it in a couple weeks. I really should not have watched the movie, it was only $7 to buy on Amazon, ended up costing me $2000+ .I really hope it does not turn out to be a hunk of junk problem child. Can't find 45-60 dies anywhere with the exception of Redding at $130 seems someone posted some negative comments regarding these dies somewhere?  Ordered Lee 45-70 dies  and factory crimp die. Can probably make this work? Without machining the lee dies down? any thoughts?  Found a large Quantity of Starline 45-70 brass on Gunbroker. Been researching lots of load data. Some comments about using fillers and "ringing" the chamber scared me a little bit.  Have IMR 4198 on hand and ordered some AA5744. Don't cast so got some Bear Creek 305 gr. coated bullets, these look like they should work great for the 45-60 caliber. The forum has been a great help in figuring things out, Will post some pics when I get it and follow up with Impressions and load results .Thanks to all for all the helpful information.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 08:07:31 PM »
Its too bad the filmakers didn't just use the original Winchester style tang sight, rather than that clunky thing. The original style works very well.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 09:19:18 PM »
The movie gun was actually a 45/75, but you know hollywood, they stuffed blank 45/60's in it and somehow made it work.
King Medallion

Offline locolarry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 12:40:51 AM »
Its too bad the filmakers didn't just use the original Winchester style tang sight, rather than that clunky thing. The original style works very well.

That sight looks so much better.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 05:44:18 PM »
The tang sight is weird looking, I agree.  But seems I've seen that style before so not sure it was a Hollyweird creation.

what he sez
I seen that style of sight on a sharps at a match ina eartly days, the guy was a top shot and would not have put up with a second rate sight for a minute.
1990? dunno when the movie came out but I had not seen it at that point. This movie is one for sure where you dont want to find out the "real" story afterwards.
(what real story anyways?)

Sound effects in movies are usually deficient but in the opening scene where he shoots the tree branch - that sound is exactly how it sounds when you fire one of these heavy calibre rifles low across damp ground - if you have done it that first scene puts you right there with him! 

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 06:02:55 PM »
:)  Personally   ;)

I have always thought the '76 needed a gun Carriage and Trails with a tractor to drag it around.  Some Heavy they are.  Yuck.

Play Safe Out There

He's right - dang it - its much more fun disagreein with him !

I have a 76 and a 86 - they within an ounce or two of each other weight - the 86 feels way lighter cuz its back in yr hands more - 76 the weight is way out front specially with a full tube of heavy boolits (durn near a pound of ammo goes in there)

have thought about lopping the 76 but ya lose magazine capacity so oly other answer is take up weight lifting - I want another dozen years shooting this thing offhand and a ten shot OH string is work now.   

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 06:04:39 PM »
anybody got a closeup picture of that movie sight they can post??????

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 10:33:56 PM »
Not the movie sight, but a close-up of the Cimarron.  I don't know how accurate of a copy it is.

Offline RIDE-RED350R

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2022, 11:34:17 PM »
New to the forum. Ordered the Tom Horn last week.( Ugly hollywood tang sight included. . . hehe) Should have it in a couple weeks. I really should not have watched the movie, it was only $7 to buy on Amazon, ended up costing me $2000+ .I really hope it does not turn out to be a hunk of junk problem child. Can't find 45-60 dies anywhere with the exception of Redding at $130 seems someone posted some negative comments regarding these dies somewhere?  Ordered Lee 45-70 dies  and factory crimp die. Can probably make this work? Without machining the lee dies down? any thoughts?  Found a large Quantity of Starline 45-70 brass on Gunbroker. Been researching lots of load data. Some comments about using fillers and "ringing" the chamber scared me a little bit.  Have IMR 4198 on hand and ordered some AA5744. Don't cast so got some Bear Creek 305 gr. coated bullets, these look like they should work great for the 45-60 caliber. The forum has been a great help in figuring things out, Will post some pics when I get it and follow up with Impressions and load results .Thanks to all for all the helpful information.

I recently acquired a Uberti '76 Centennial in 45-60. I put the RCBS Legacy die set in my wish list on Midway and not long after it was in stock and only $70. I've loaded 90 rounds with it, fired 30 of them without a stitch of trouble. I'm still learning about these but I suspect 45-70 resizer might not size the case mouth down quite enough.

Online KenH

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2022, 12:48:56 PM »
Not the movie sight, but a close-up of the Cimarron.  I don't know how accurate of a copy it is.
I'd been wondering what all the fuss was about a tang sight, I like them.  Then I see the Tom Horn tang sight - Lord that thing is ugly!  What was wrong with the standard old good looking tang sight?

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 01:37:39 PM »
That Tom Horn sight pictured above looks like a solid, one piece base. If I recall correctly, in the movie it was some kind of quick mount. I remember seeing him snapping onto the rifle in one scene.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Win 1876

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2022, 02:11:34 PM »
I own this rifle as well. While the tang site might not be historically accurate it is fairly functional. Uberti also includes different apertures, and a screw set if you would like to remove the tang site. I do not compete but I do use it for hunting with black powder loads. It is a lot of fun to shoot and hunt with in my opinion. From my fairly limited research most reproductions come color case hardened while this comes with a more polished blued finish. My rifle locks up tightly and had good wood to metal fit. If you plan on hunting in the dawn and dusk the black on black sights can be an issue. A small amount of removable white paint can be used to make the front sight more visible. I do agree that the historical sight looks better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com