Author Topic: What About This Shotgun?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline paledun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What About This Shotgun?
« on: November 01, 2021, 10:52:49 PM »
While still active in SASS and some years ago, I went to the Wire looking for a 16 gauge SXS.  I found a member advertising a number of guns being offered by a widow selling her pasted husbands guns.  One gun was Baker listed as a 16, shorten to 20 inches, good wood and a tight lockup.  This looked promising and sent the cash.  This gun was anything but what was advertised.  Wood was good and it had been shortened.  But it was not a 16, it was a 12 with Damascus barrels.  But the chambers were too small for 12 or 16 but a 20 fit just right.  The barrels had been sleeved to 20 and included chokes to full and modified.  Lots of hand work fitting the ejector.  I have shot this gun quite a bit using Winchester AAs and 2FF Goex under 7/8 oz shot.  Great ejection with AAs but brass hulls were a pain.  My question is the gunsmith?  Anyone have an idea who may have sleeved this gun?  I've always wondered about the chokes for a SASS gun.  Your comments appreciated.  Attempted to add photos but the post was rejected as too much data. 

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: What About This Shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 11:07:43 AM »
I've always like the IC and MOD chokes or none at all. One of my SXSs has chokes the other not. If I need choking in the CYL/CYL I load different shells (I only shoot BP) with different wad columns that tighten or open the pattern depending on the need: a tight pattern for the faller/activator and an open choke for the flyer, or a wide pattern for possible doubles/triples on knockdowns. In the choked gun (IGA Coach Gun) I just have to remember the rear trigger is the tighter one.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline paledun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 06:17:44 PM »
Come on boys and girls, any thoughts about may have been the "smith" who sleeved the barrels?  While I still wonder about the chokes, normally smooth bores are just fine for SASS. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:14:19 AM »

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 09:47:32 PM »
Howdy Pal,

Without some marking by the gunsmith (under the forend or buttplate it is going to be near impossible to guess who the smith might have been. I don't know who does that kind of work, but maybe someone could pass along the names of smiths who sleeve damascus barrels.

Rev. Chase

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 09:56:59 AM »

There are so many small potatoes guys with a “Gunsmith “ shingle hanging out, your not even gonna get a good WAG (military acronym for Wild Ass Guess).

Most small shops don’t Sleeve shotguns, they send them out to large specialty shops like Purbaugh.  As long as the gun works and patterns well to point of aim, the “Who Dunnit” really doesn’t matter aside from satisfying your curiosity.

Best of luck

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 11:07:46 AM »
Sounds like a good deal. 20 gauge in a 12 gauge sized gun, lighter recoil, assorted chokes and pretty damascus without the danger. I’ve been using my 20 ga Model 30 Marlin pump and love its lightness and nice lines. Shoots like a rifle. Too bad it only holds four.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com