Author Topic: Capt Kirk finally did it for real!  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 103
Re: Capt Kirk finally did it for real!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 12:56:34 PM »
Good for him.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 02:08:15 PM »
    “Oldly going where no old man went before.”  Cue Star Trek theme.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:05:08 AM »

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 08:18:55 AM »
Everyone has a price.

Now we know Shatner's.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/30/jeff-bezos-blue-origin-essay-claims-toxic-workplace.html

https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1443230605269999629

What do either of those articles have to do with Shatner's going up in the rocket? I don't think he got paid, excuse me but am I missing something here? If I am please educate me! ::)
Northeast Ohio

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 04:33:34 PM »
Rye -

It 's a nice gesture, and of course it is a publicity stunt.

But Since you asked -

the implication is that Bezos did it not just as publicity stunt but to attract positive attention,
in order to divert attention from the company's alleged toxic workplace, reports of safety problems,
and pushing to make higher flight numbers at the risk of  reported safety concerns.

Bezos is well known for putting profit and numbers ahead of safety and putting his public image
ahead of workers health and safety. His corporate policy is to harass and fire anyone who
rocks the boat ... such as complaining about documented sexual harassment, complaining about the need
for realistic bathroom breaks, complaining about the inability to even get to a bathroom nearly 1/4 mile away
and back to the workstation in time,  complaining about manadatory double shifts, or complaining about documented safety issues. 

"FAA reviewing safety allegations

Safety concerns are another key piece of the essay, which alleges that “some of the engineers who ensure the very safety of the rockets” were either forced out or paid off after internally voicing criticisms.

The essay said that last year, Blue Origin leadership showed “increasing impatience” with the low flight rate of its suborbital New Shepard rocket, saying the company’s team needed to jump from “a few flights per year … to more than 40.”

“When Jeff Bezos flew to space this July, we did not share his elation. Instead, many of us watched with an overwhelming sense of unease. Some of us couldn’t bear to watch at all,” the essay said. “Competing with other billionaires—and ‘making progress for Jeff’— seemed to take precedence over safety concerns that would have slowed down the schedule.”

The Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement to CNBC on Thursday that it is reviewing the safety concerns raised within the essay."

Those of us who have, or have had, skin in the Space Game are worried that pushing too fast and ignoring legitamit engineering issues 
will lead to another tragic event like The Space Shuttle Columbia disaster on February 1, 2003.

Another event like that might well kill any public support of further space travel - and just to appease the Bezos ego....

Lately he is Requiring "Non-disparage" agreements as part of employment which
literally screams, "Well Bezos , what are you trying to hide if you think you have to demand
a legal document to silence your workers from complaining or testifying ahead of time? "

A Non-Disparage agreement is a relatively new legal twist that has not yet had sufficient
court tests ....

just so you know the bigger picture...

prf grumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 06:50:47 AM »
 So it's the Feds (FAA) that doesn't like a private citizen's attempt to go to space and possibly make money eventually. Oh the horror of a capitalist doing something without the government approval! LOL ::)
Northeast Ohio

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 02:11:41 AM »
So it's the Feds (FAA) that doesn't like a private citizen's attempt to go to space and possibly make money eventually. Oh the horror of a capitalist doing something without the government approval! LOL ::)

Robert Heinlein actually forsaw this, and wrote several short stories about an entrprenure pursuing moon landings in spite of govt reluctance/opposition. Historically, it was the Dutch and Portuguese entrepreneurs who braved the unknown uncharted seas to explore the "new world" , sometimes assisted by the crown in various ways .... And thus opened up the trade routes.

The current batch of "explorers" are remarkably similar to the first Rockefeller and Edison fighting with competitors in the cutthroat (sometimes literally) marketplaces of the time. Some entrepreneurs had to go armed because of threats and attacks...

On the nondisclosure agreements and non-compete agreements, these are actually common when working in cutting edge tech, The guy you hire and trust to work for YOU may at any time turn out to be the guy trying to steal your secrets...  No disparage are rather new and untested, but with so many people using the social media as a court of public opinion for "character assasination" it is not surprising.

I personally feel that if one treats others fairly and expect the same from them it will lead to a more harmonious outcome... But I don't seem to have made it in the "rich guys club" either ....

Yhs Prof mumbles

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 07:36:04 AM »
Does anyone remember a TV show in the 70s with Andy Griffith called Salvage 1?   Junk man builds rocket to salvage space junk.  I was only ~13 at the time, but i recall the government reps not being happy in the series.  It only lasted 1 season, but the concept was original.  The less said about Bezos and Musk the better.   I think it grand that Shatner got to go, just wish NASA had thought of it.   I am putting on a Nostradamus hat and forseeing that the governements will step in and curtail all of this siting public safety and the prevention of the Kessler effect (or syndrome, not sure on the name). 

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 12:44:35 PM »
(snip)
I think it grand that Shatner got to go, just wish NASA had thought of it.   I am putting on a Nostradamus hat and forseeing that the governements will step in and curtail all of this siting public safety and the prevention of the Kessler effect (or syndrome, not sure on the name).
In the long run, that won't happen entirely. While governmental agencies can and do provide oversight of public entities, such as airlines, private aviation, and regulation of trains and trucks, etc. But, in a relatively free society, commercial and private enterprise cannot be completely curtailed or stagnation will occur. And if competing against other governments happens, e.g., China, Russia, ESA, etc., total control will wind up killing our economy!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »
Does anyone remember a TV show in the 70s with Andy Griffith called Salvage 1?  ...

I had completely forgotten about that show!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com