Author Topic: Double clutching a leaver rifle??  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Gundogblue

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Double clutching a leaver rifle??
« on: October 06, 2021, 10:17:36 AM »
I’m not sure of the exact term to use when you cycle a rnd in a leaver rifle and sometimes it won’t chamber until you very slightly push the leaver forward again
and close it to get a rnd chambered. Any way I’m fairly new to leaver guns I’ve only had them a few yrs but I noticed on occasion I have to work the lever like I described with my 1894 Marlin, and Henry Bigboy, but I never have to do that with my 92 Winchester Miruku. Is that fairly normal to have to do that on occasion? Or is it something I should have checked out? The 1894 Marin is of new manufacture and is a 44 mag. The Henry Bigboy is in .357 mag, and the Miruku  Winchester is in .45 Colt. I handload for them, but I’ve been hand loading since 1976 so I have plenty experience and know how to load. And I shoot lead RNFP boolits. Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Paul

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 899
Re: Double clutching a leaver rifle??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »
I think most people have experienced that at one time or another.

From you experience one might conclude John Moses Browning might have known a thing or two about firearms design.  (smiley face goes here)

Dave

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 01:05:39 PM »
"Double-clutching" like that is very often due to OAL and/or bullet shape not being exactly what the gun likes.  Too short more often than too long.  So, loading 44 Spcl for a 44 mag or .38's in a .357 often do it, but since you are loading the full length brass, I'm not sure.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:25:16 AM »

Offline FriscoCountyWolfy

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 29723
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 01:31:49 PM »
the henry bbs mechanism operate a lot like the marlins

are you loading full length cartridges?

by the way; my miroku 92 runs 44 spls and magnums without a hitch

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 01:52:30 PM »
You shouldn’t have to do that. Have you switched to a different bullet or loaded something else and dickered with your die settings. You might be right on the edge. Tinker with the oal.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 03:39:54 PM »
Sometimes, the issue is with a slightly bulged case. I have experienced it myself, and I have no one to blame other than the guy who did the reloading. (ME).

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 09:19:06 AM »

:)  Hey Paul   ;)

If you are experiencing this requirement to "Double Clutch" regularly, it is NOT normal.  Something is amiss (you've figured that out).  Except you have eliminated the biggest bugaboo (Loading Semi-Wadcutters).  My next focus would be on the bullet itself.  Not all RNFP are created equal.  If the actual flat point is too wide, the nose of the bullet can and will hang up on the chamber breach.  Another big biggie is to really take a close look at your crimp.  If you have any case lip showing at all, it may well be your problem.  There should be NO case lip showing beyond the crimp groove.

Then we have the possible problem with the Bolt Face/Firing Pin/Extractor/Ejector relationship.  Good Luck

Play Safe Out There

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com