Author Topic: Hat  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Hat
« on: May 15, 2021, 06:27:34 AM »
Can anybody tell me if an American hat co. hat is a decent hat? All it says on the sweatband is 4x quality.
The reason I ask is I’d like to follow Delmonico’s instructions, and reshape it.
It’s now a cattleman crease, and I hope to make it like Selleck wore in Crossfire Trail.
Thanks a lot!

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Hat
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 11:31:23 AM »
I don’t know the brand and the 4X isn’t a standard among hatters , each having their own grading. But if it feels firm and holds it shape while being handled then it’s about price. The important part is all you need is a tea kettle and your hands to shape a felt hat.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 01:15:31 PM »
 Thanks Kent. Yes its pretty stiff.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:14:40 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 01:24:45 PM »
Used to be 10X was the top grade for beaver felt hats.
That grading has gone by the wayside as far being meaningful as hat manufacturers combined other fibers and starches. Nutria fur becoming widely used.

Most authentic brimmed hats of the era when worn outdoors as working headgear rapidly took on a shapeless lump on the top of the head.
Delmonico down in The Cosie Forum was a professional hat shaper for The Old West Shoppe. Look him up here in CAS City.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 03:58:33 PM »
The typical modern cowboy hat with the cattleman crease might not have a tall enough crown nor wide enough brim to get the hat like Selleck's.  But you can make a smaller version perhaps and still look good.

This is an old Eddy Bros. hat, 4x I think, that I got cheap on ebay and reshaped from its cattleman crease. 

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 04:52:07 PM »
Thanks a lot guys!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com