Author Topic: SPEAKING of RIMFIRES  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
SPEAKING of RIMFIRES
« on: April 11, 2021, 10:42:15 AM »

First a CAVEAT:  I apologize for a weak and feeble mind.  The memory of a Gnat.  Ah what was I gonna ask . . . . . Oh Yea . . . .

Has anyone ever dabbled in trying to "Reload" 22 Rim fire cases??  It isn't that I am thinking of doing it.  At yesterdays CAS brouhaha, one of the gals was collecting the spent 22 brass from her Shooting Twins.  Said they were thinking of reloading it if things got terrible bad.

I looked at one of those little suckers and thought "no way" and besides, the "rim" is already present of a big dent.  Seems kind of an unproductive endeavor.

Stay Safe Out There 

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SPEAKING of RIMFIRES
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 11:11:53 AM »
'Back In the Day' - some actually did reload them, but the fulminate of mercury as a primer was the sticking point and sometimes ground match heads (strike-anywhere Ohio Blue Tips) was the substitute.

The cases were first primed with that, and spun or turned to ensure that the mixture got into the folded crimp.

The powder was added (no clue as to what, but likely black)) and then a .22 lead BB was pressed tight.

The case was inserted with the original strike mark away from the firing pin, and it would fire as usual.

There are 'supposed' to be better instructions and maybe even a tool of some kind, but I never cared enough to dig further.

Apparently, this sort of thing was done in the cash-strapped '30's and in the poorer parts of the country.
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 12:41:36 PM »
These folks sell a kit: https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/

Haven't tried it. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:43:39 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 01:59:07 PM »

:)  Well WOW  ;)

Somebody has actually done it and even made some nifty tools for it.

I don't really see re-loading those little suckers as the "Hot ticket."  After loading two or three, it'd be like hitting yer thumb With a hammer.

It would also only be "practical" for single shot.

People are Hazardous to Yer Health

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 07:02:29 PM »
My Dear Coffinmaker

I the ancient days, Native Americans were reloading large bore rimfires using the methods put forth by
St George. Neccessity and all....

RE Rimfires -
I see Longwalker found the kit for you!

I recall from days gone by that prior member John Boy was activiely loading/reloading .22 rimfire using
BlackPowder, specifically for an historic arm of some sort. He had even located a source
of new primed cases at the time, but did make use of that kit or one like it.

If necessary, some folks actually went to the effort of ironing out the prior rimfire hit, but I am not sure why.

now, as an aside, when the huge .22 rimfire shortage of a couple years ago struck, I myself went to my first ring of hell 
workshoip, and dug into my scrap pile  barrel rack and took one of my ancient .22 rimfire barrels for a special project.

I planned put it on an ancient single shot shotgun as a switch-barrel to utilize .22 blanks to drive a separate cast bullet.

It worked fine, but I discovered that .22 blanks were in short supply too!

So, I poked around and found those lovely .22 "power hammer" blanks at the hardware store! Huzzah!
except, whilst available, it wasn't exactly economlicalk cheap.

Next I thought, well, if not rimfire, how about a lowpower centerfire .22 conversion?

So I modified the whole mess and rechambered the .22 barrel to accept 209 centerfire shotgun primers.
That, with no powder, and a cast lead .22 bullet (or roundball, or pellet rifle ellet) worked a treat as a low-powered .22 !!!
I got enough penetration to sink the bullet almost to the base in a pine board, but no further. I further proceded to experiment
with great success using 209's and roundball in empty large bore cases and no powder as backyard gallery loads.

The experiment was  a success, but the practicality was less than optimal.
So I sat down and looked at the whole mess I made, primer availaibilty (or lack thereof)
and I went to wally world and bought a quality .177 air rifle and a couple thousand pellets.

using the various air guns I can get all the practice I want in the side yard at very little cost, and the neighbors
dont even notice. If necessary, the pointy pellets with a head shot will drop a rabit like a brick.

now I need to find a decent air rifle scope that will stand up to the crazy recoil ( and doesnt cost more than the rifle).

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 08:43:46 AM »

:)  Hi Perfesser   ;)

:D  Fun that you should mention your Air Rifle.  Especially in regard to reloading 22 Rim Fire.  I do have/had a modem of experience with an Air Pistol.  A Feinwerkbau, to be spacific.  Incredibly accurate.  HOWEVER:

I had/have never thought of Air Rifles as other than toys.  No biggie.  Except.  I have now been engrosses with some U Boob stuff with folks shooting Air Rifles for pest control.  Able to hit a quarter at 25 yards and dispatch vermin.  Now, we must understand, the Air Rifles in use are not your average Red Ryder BB rifle.  Nor are then in any way shape or form frugal (Cheap).  One could buy several conventional rifles for what one of theirs cost (WOW!!)

MY POINT:

Don't have one.  Not really.  Just thought it curious, your having mentionin'd Air Rifles.  I may well have to treat myself to one.  Seems our neighborhood has a profusion of feral Cats.  Discharging a firearm in the Borough is frowned (illegal) upon but a small game lethal Air Rifle could be just the ticket.  Stealthy as it twer.

People be Hazardous to Yer Health

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 10:32:21 AM »
If you get an air rifle - which I strongly suggest - get a 'good' one - it'll pay off in practice fundamentals and in increased accuracy on the range.

Air rifles and pistols are like throwing a baseball or a dart - or even archery  - all require a bit of 'hold' or 'follow-through' after the projectile's launched for maximum accuracy.

Ammunition can be finicky - buy a couple of the sample packs to find what each one prefers, because they will prefer a particular one.

The venerable BB gun is no slouch - they're used in competition at 33 feet and group inside of a dime - a pellet rifle will give you change.

I shoot several: Webley Tempest, Hy-Score Sportster, Feinwerkbau 124D, Slavia, Daisy and Crosman - all have their particular value and all perform accurately.

One of the side benefits is that you're not bending over to police up brass...

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Cottonwood

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 12:17:02 PM »
Howdy just responding to this post, and yes they show that it works at this link... but I could imagine that it's very time consuming. ::)

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/06/19/reloading-22-lr-worthwhile/

Offline ChuteTheMall

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 01:52:59 PM »
'Back In the Day' - some actually did reload them, but the fulminate of mercury as a primer was the sticking point and sometimes ground match heads (strike-anywhere Ohio Blue Tips) was the substitute....

Grinding up strike-anywhere match heads sounds pretty exciting!   :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com