Author Topic: Anyone pack a Colt SAA for everyday concealed carry?  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Anyone pack a Colt SAA for everyday concealed carry?
« on: January 04, 2021, 03:05:54 PM »
I know -- bulky, no plastic, just five (safely carried) rounds and a murderous reload, but I am intrigued by the possibility. My late uncle, born in 1913, got to meet my great-grandfather in Denver in the early 1920s, and he showed my uncle three bullet wound scars honestly come by in the 19th century, then opened his suit coat to reveal a Colt in a shoulder holster. He had been born in Burnet, Texas, in 1856 and was a postmaster, schoolteacher, rancher and justice of the peace of Hutchinson County, Texas, over a long career.
I have been eying El Paso Saddlery's "Texas Rig" shoulder holster which Rattenbury dates to about 1880, so about the right time frame for GGF to be a young adult. He married my great-grandmother in Buffalo Gap in 1881.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
Re: Anyone pack a Colt SAA for everyday concealed carry?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 03:12:40 PM »
I recently purchased a "new sheriff's model". .45 Colt. 3 1/2" barrel. Maybe I should find a shoulder holster?

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 04:03:03 PM »
I remember reading an article a long time ago in which Phil Spangenberger said he carried one because it's what he used all the time.  Makes sense to me.  I've personally never been able to use shoulder holsters (I think I'm too wide through the chest), but there are other good options if you opt to carry a single action.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:57:08 AM »

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 04:03:31 PM »
Froogal, that'll speak with authority.  ;)
Here is El Paso's Hardin rig ...
https://epsaddlery.com/product/1895-hardin-shoulder-rig/

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 04:57:20 PM »
Its been done!

I remember reading an article a long time ago in which Phil Spangenberger said he carried one because it's what he used all the time.  Makes sense to me.  I've personally never been able to use shoulder holsters (I think I'm too wide through the chest), but there are other good options if you opt to carry a single action.

As our Good Niederlander mentions, if it is what you always use and have the most experience with anyway, then it would make sense . 

If its all you have, then that too makes sense.

However, unless one is superhuman like the late Bob Mundan or one of the top shooters that can put 5 rounds into a coffee cup in two seconds at seven yards.....

My opinion is
“why deliberately cripple yourself with regard to an already stressful defensive combat situation?”

I have been taught, by experts, that defensive concealed carry is not a game, it is not for nostalgia, it is not a political statement. It is to defend you and your loved ones from a deliberate life-or-death attack, and you should go into it making sure you have the best equipment and training possible.

Now, after Prof Grumbles having rained on everyones parade...

I do carry a modified single action .44 magnum in either a crossdraw or shoulder rig of my own making while backpacking or hiking in bear country. My reasoning is that
if I cant talk a critter out of attacking me...
1)If I need to shoot a bear, I feel I need more power than a 9mm or .45
1a) I am trying to carry concealed otherwise for bear I would carry a long gun
2) I have practiced enough that I do not feel at a disadvantage in the woods
3) I do not expect to encounter a gang of bears so reloads should not be an issue

Sooo ... I really like any copy of the Hardin El Paso rig, but I am too cheap to buy one.
And I find them rather stiff.

my everyday preference is one of the Uncle Mike vertical Single Action Shoulder holsters.

I have one of these for everything, they are very comfortable for me, distribute the load, they are not really stiff, and with a slight modification allow me to carry an MTM flat plastic cartridge box or a leather thingy with 12 rounds in loops on the opposite side. And, oddly, they conceal well. At least for me.

As always, ymmv

Yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 899
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 09:07:54 PM »
In the last year or so I've read at least half a dozen threads on various forums on this subject. I even participated in a couple of them because for 10 years I taught the whole concealed carry, tactical thing to over 1200 civiulians. Before that I taught tactics and defensive firearms use to my department.

Every serious instructor and student of defensive pistol craft argues against this, and as the Professor pointed out it is a life and death, dead serious business. Not something you go into with a deliberate handicap. But...

There are circumstances that can dictate otherwise. The best one is the one already raised, that if all you shoot or all you have are single action revolvers, then that is what you know and will shoot best. Trouble is that may not be good enough.

If you are going to do this, because you have no other choice, don't think watching "The Outlaw Jose Wales" six times will prepare you for defending yourself or your loved ones. If you are going to do this (and the only good reason is you have no other option) then take it very seriously and practice like you never did for a CAS match.

You have to master rapid fire with serious defensive ammunition and the attendant recoil that will produce. You also need to get the gun out from your place of concealment quickly and safely. That means more hard, intense practice. And shooting at a high level is a perishable skill. It's not enough to learn to shoot fast and accurately with defensive ammo, then relax. You have to keep at it, all the time. Dry firing weekly and shooting live ammo a couple times a month at a minimum. Don't bother trying to learn to reload a single action quickly. You will either solve your problem with the first cylinder full or you will have lost the fight. That's the reality.

Having taught this professionally I can't in good conscience advocate it, but I understand there are people who will do it anyway. If you are one of those, please take it very seriously.

Dave

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 09:24:19 PM »
Carrying quaint is never a good idea.

That 'Hardin' rig holds the piece 'directly' under the armpit - attempting a draw from that will be an athletic event - moreso, since it'll be from under a coat, because you'll have to pull the piece straight up.

Leather and gun carry has come a very long way from your GG-Dad's day, and the bad guys are even better armed than they were 'back in the day' and can (and do) tend to shoot in bursts.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 09:54:47 PM »
 I  have been known to drop a .45 SAA in the pocket of my duster when walking my dog.
Scouts Out!

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4643
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 10:02:41 PM »
Please realize that if you are not used to carrying you will RAPIDLY learn why the saying "No gun to big to shoot, or no gun to small to carry" is true. Find an Always gun that you will always have with you. Something that slips easily into an IWB holster or even a pocket.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 07:42:46 AM »
Nope, I carry a S&W 442 Airweight either in my pocket or in a IWB holster.
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 08:19:01 AM »
You have all made excellent points. I wasn't terribly serious about this -- more curious about the practical aspects of packing a largish Colt in a shoulder holster. I carry openly in my part-time job at our county-owned shooting range, and am in frequent contact with the instructors and LEOs who use it. They would all think I was nuts if I went to this setup. They already think I am quaint enough carrying a Charter Bulldog in .44 Special. I started out carrying a Kimber 1911, but after banging it around on stuff and dealing with the bulk and weight, I went to the little Bulldog. I realize some sort of Glock would likely be a better choice. We'll see, but with 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP ammo running north of 60 cents a round right now if you can find it, I am in no hurry.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 08:45:10 AM »
Nope, I carry a S&W 442 Airweight either in my pocket or in a IWB holster.

My everyday, concealed carry is a S&W 642 airweight, .38 special, carried in a belly band. My everyday choice of clothing is bib overalls, so the belly band is about my only choice. Any kind of "quick draw" is pretty much out of the question, but I tend to avoid situations where a quick draw might be needed.

I'm still learning. Didn't have much interest in firearms of any kind until about 2015 or so.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 09:38:09 AM »

I have never been a proponent of "small auto" pistols for concealed carry.  My idea of conceal'd carry is in the pocket of a light jacket.  A cycling slide would be all too prone to grabbing the pocket and jamming. 

My personal choice is a revolver with a shrouded hammer.

PS:  No. I don't draw.  Shoot right through the jacket pocket.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 10:25:35 AM »
I have, and on occasion, still carry my .44 Blackhawk. I have a plain shoulder holster that I made, and a nice dress crossdraw holster, also self made.

My thoughts are, a good portion of those that would do harm, are really cowards. If they didn't have a gun, they would not attack. The sight of that huge cannon pointed at them, would have them "dousing their drawers". Strength of conviction helps.

Then, after emptying the big revolver, if all else fails, you still have an effective cudgel. But never, EVER, throw your gun at them... Unless it is Superman 😋

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4643
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 07:43:16 PM »
I have never been a proponent of "small auto" pistols for concealed carry.  My idea of conceal'd carry is in the pocket of a light jacket.  A cycling slide would be all too prone to grabbing the pocket and jamming. 

My personal choice is a revolver with a shrouded hammer.

PS:  No. I don't draw.  Shoot right through the jacket pocket.

That's why I miss my S&W 642
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 09:53:53 AM »

:)  I FORGOT   ;)

I do admit an alternative.  1911 45ACP.  There is, and never has been, a better combat pistol design.  EVER.  Mine, for carry, is a KIMBER Officer size.  Under a light jacket, in a kydex speed holster.

After a short sting in Law Enforcement, and a long stint with the Military, it became obvious, when one needs One's pistol, one needs it RIGHT FREEKING NOW.  No fancy leather, stuff like that.  A hard holster I can draw the 1911 from RIGHT NOW.  OR:  Shoot my revolver right through the pocket.

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 11:44:33 AM »
Agree with Coffin Maker.  I occasionally  carry my SAA, but my EDC is a Taurus M1911 in .45.
Scouts Out!

Offline The original bad bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 01:35:09 PM »
Yes... 4-3/4” .45 Colt cimarron old model .. either under a hoodie in winter or in a backpack or under a baggy T- shirt in summer.

Camping or hiking.. it’s a 7-1/2” EMF or Cimarron in a old west Mexican loop rig.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 03:15:08 PM »
While walking in the neighborhood I have on a few occasions carried my 3 1/2" 44 spcl Thunderer in a generic nylon IWB holster.  When walking after dark in the summer I usually open carry a Glock 19.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 03:58:17 PM »
Well, yeah ! when I was a younger cowpoke  12 or so lustrum ago  :) about 60 + odd years   :o
I open carried one and ranged the neighborhood , dealing with imagined  rustlers, highwaymen, Ne'er-do-well's  and Hostile indigenous First Nations persons  ;D ( for the politely correct connotation as it were ) I felt well heeled.

These days, different times no kid dare wander about so armed even with a Orange muzzle cap !

Now, I carry a Sig 365 in pocket holster,  but still recall simpler times  :)

I didn't forget my roots 

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com