Author Topic: Something about a couple Open Tops and an 1860 Henry that just say "Early West"  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Being a real life retired California Lawman (Tuolumne County Sheriff, in the Motherlode), and a retired US History Teacher, I am fond of California's early Old west...  By the time the 1873 Winchester and 1873 Colt Peacemaker were "Taming the West" in Arizona, Montana, and places in between, California had been the Wild West for 25 years!  Initially it was 1847 Walkers, Dragoons, and 1851 Navy revolvers, along with front stuffer rifles and Shotguns that armed pioneer Californians.

In 1860, during the advent of the War Between the States, the 1860 Henry was a desired, high tech arm in the gGold fields.  By 1868, conversions of the Remington and Colt percussions were showing up in .44 Henry, .46 French, other assorted rimfires and .44 Martin. (Colt/Remington 44/100) all over the Motherlode.

To me, nothing like a couple Cartridge Conversions and a Henry say "the real Early Wild West..."

Tuolumne (California) Lawman
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Picked up my Uberti 1871/1872 Open Top 4.75" in 45 Colt.  Navy grip fits the hand like a glove.  Light crisp action and timing is spot on.  I also got the 5 Shot .45 Colt R&D cylinder from Taylors for my antiqued 1860.  The cylinder is blued, but I like it.  I had to clean up the top edge of the bolt, as it had some burrs, and would not catch in time.  after a little judicious work with an Arkasas stone (that I actually bough in Arkansas!), the timing is spot on.  Performed 50 or so cycles of the hammer and it engaged every time.

I can not wait to shoot them.  I have a couple El Paso Saddlery Slim Jim holsters for them to go on my Fairweather Christian belt I got from Carrico Leather, with 40 cartridge loops.  I am a happy man!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Advertising

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Just did another 100 cocking and snaps of the hammer (with snap caps), and had zero mis-alignments.  Should be good to go, though I neeed to find a lighter hammer spring. Dang it's heavy on the 1860!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
The "Open Top" cartridge model didn't show up until 1872. The 1860 Richards just a year earlier in mid-1871 and these were centerfire.

I can't get into an 1860 Henry in .45Colt so pair mine with a .44Spl 1866.

SASS #81,827

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
True.  1871 was the first patent date on the Open Tops, but 1872 is when they actually started producing them.  I actually would have gone with .44 Special, but 1860 Henry was never produced (at least in any numbers!) in .44 Special.  It is hard enough to find an 1866 in .44 Special.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
I use to run a pair of Open Tops in 44 Colt but I loaded 44 Russian.  Rifle was an 1866 in 44 Special I cut down to Trapper length and set up for 44 Russian.  Shotgun an 1878 Hammer Double with All Brass cases.  Just too cool for school.  I've wanted one of the few Uberti Henry rifles in 44 Special for just about ever.  One came up for sale about a year ago but my gun fund was depleted (sob).

Then I discovered ....... TA DA ....... Cap Guns.

Now my main match hand guns are Pietta 44Cal 1851s, with Snubbie barrels (3 1/4 inch barrels), Paired with one of 4 Henry rifles set up to run Cowboy 45 Special cases and of course, the ubiquitous 1878 Hammer double with All Brass cases.  Absolutely too much fun.  ALL of them are shot with BP or Subs.  They just have to make SMOKE!!  Just for extra fun, I also shoot a couple pair of .36Cal Snubbies.

And then .... just for pissy weather days I added two pair of 1860 Snubbies with R&D Type conversion cylinders for C45S cartridges with a Pedersoli Hammer Double just to be fancy.  LETS PLAY!!

Coffinmaker

PS:  Lawman, if you seek lighter Main Springs for your 1860 (Rifle??) go to "The Smith Shop".  If your seeking lighter Main Springs for your 1860 handgun, go to VTI GUNPARTS, Wolff, or Brownells for "Lee's Gunsmithing Gunfighter" springs.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
The "Open Top" cartridge model didn't show up until 1872. The 1860 Richards just a year earlier in mid-1871 and these were centerfire.

I can't get into an 1860 Henry in .45Colt so pair mine with a .44Spl 1866.

Dang, that's purrty!  If I wasn't hung up on my Gus McCrae Henry, I'd have an 1866 Carbine or short rifle!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
No, they're absolutely not growing on trees! Took me a while to find mine. If they offered the 1860 in .44Spl again I'd be all over it. Can't for the life of me figure out why they don't. I guess too many folks stuck on .45Colt for everything.
SASS #81,827

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I'm not complaining, mind you.  I really like the .45 Schofield round in my Open Tops and Henry.  A .452" 200 grain bullet at 1150 FPS is very close ballistically to a .442" 200 grain Henry Flat bullet at the same speed.  When you load it with 27 Grains BP, it is identical.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com