Author Topic: Rear Sights  (Read 13011 times)

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rear Sights
« on: December 07, 2007, 07:03:27 PM »
Was curious as to what everyone has on theirs...replica and originals?
Ended up with a Marbles on mine...but after deer season going to be playing again and might be looking to try something different for a rear sight if one strikes my fancy.

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Rear Sights
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 07:32:15 PM »
Quigley - the Chaparral 45-75 of mine came with a real nice flip up ladder rear sight.
The ladder and blade front are now in inventory, replaced with a diopter post front globe and a long range Creedmoor vernier rear sight
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Henry4440

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 11:15:31 PM »
Here is a special ;)
Winchester 1876 in calibre •45-75. Manufactured in 1885, this special version of the gun has a very rare 6 leaf sight, and an adjustable tang sight, it was made for the big game African market. It has extra quality fine deluxe pistol grip stock, with fine checkering and ebony inlay to pistol grip cap. Crescent stock with butt trap, set trigger and a good bore. This gun has a special 28" heavy octagonal barrel.

;)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:06:25 AM »

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 11:23:45 PM »
Lordy...that's quite a set-up.  ;)

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 07:21:17 AM »
I've seen photos of the repros with Riflesmith and Marbles tang sights.  These seem to be very effective if not quite period.  The Riflesmith sights do have the period look moreso than the Marbles.

Of course the NWMP SRCs have the Spanish Meter sight.  I like it better than the standard carbine sight for how it functions but it is difficult for my eyes in certain light conditions. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 11:28:42 AM »
Here is a special ;)
Winchester 1876 in calibre •45-75. Manufactured in 1885, this special version of the gun has a very rare 6 leaf sight, and an adjustable tang sight, it was made for the big game African market. It has extra quality fine deluxe pistol grip stock, with fine checkering and ebony inlay to pistol grip cap. Crescent stock with butt trap, set trigger and a good bore. This gun has a special 28" heavy octagonal barrel.

;)

Man, I can see me now:  Sight set for Lion at 200 yards :)...opps Lion is charging! :o ...dang got the wrong sight up!  ;D

Cool old 1876!  Thanks for posting it. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 01:27:21 PM »
Check out Buffalo Arms in Ponderay, Idaho.  They have a stupefying array of sights.   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 10:30:53 PM »
They do have quite an array of sights.  ;)
Have about talked myself into leaving the Marbles on it...hunting and plinking is all she'll see.

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 11:59:44 PM »
got a axtill wra tang sight on my 76 and globe front sight from the same company looks great and shoots very good. gotzguns

Offline Buckey O'Neill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 10:00:48 AM »
On my '76 Cimarron & '76 Chapparal (both .45-75 W.C.F.), I took off the front & rear sights - put a sight blank in the rear dovetail - and put a Beech Combination Rocker Sight on the front and a Riflesmith Short Staff Hunter Tang Sight on both. Our range only goes to 400 yards, but this sight combination works fine for these 60 year old eyes. At 400 yards, I still have about 1.25 inches of elevation left on the Tang Sight before it's "at the top". With the Cimarron At 200 yards, using 350 grain bullets and 1.5 F Swiss Powder has given me my best groups (5 out of 10 shots in the "X" ring (2 were side by side and 1 inch to the left of the "X", another 2 were side by side and 3.5 inches to left of the "X", and 1 was 2 inches below the last 2). I've used Goex Cartridge, Goex Express FFg, and Swiss FFFg powders, but again - my best groups have been with the 1.5 F Swiss. The Cimarron is the best shooter - so I've sold the Chapparal. Meanwhile, back to the loading bench & on to the Range again this weekend!!

Regards Pards,
Buckey O'Neill

Offline Jubal Wilson

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 01:48:06 PM »
They do have quite an array of sights.  ;)
Have about talked myself into leaving the Marbles on it...hunting and plinking is all she'll see.

Quigley,
On my Cimarron 1876 I replaced my front sight with a Beech Combination sight and removed the rear sight and filled the dovetail with a piece of walnut so I wouldn't cut my hand up.  On the tang I put a Marbles tang sight for the 1873 because the base of the staft is further forward so there is more room for your thumb to wrap around the stock.  There is plenty of clearance from the bolt at its maximum rearward travel.  This works really well for me.  I posted a picture of a target shot with this configuration on the thread about shooting smokeless in clones.
Jubal Wilson

When a man loses his dreams he becomes a wanderer in the wasteland of human existence.

Offline OKDEE

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »
I have a Chaparral, 45-75 caliber with a 22" barrel.  I added a Marbles Improved Peep Sight (#991015) from Buffalo Arms.  I helped quite a bit with the factory front sight.

BUT..... ;)   I now need a better front sight, and am looking at the globe front sights.  I have no doubt that is will really help.

Oklahoma Dee

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 08:43:50 PM »
Check out Buffalo Arms in Ponderay, Idaho.  They have a stupefying array of sights.   ;D
Talk about stupefying, check this out = http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180208448836&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

:o  :o $900.00  :o  :o

Not my bid!
Icebox
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
Talk about stupefying, check this out = http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180208448836&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

:o  :o $900.00  :o  :o

Not my bid!
Icebox

Heck, at that price I will take two! :P
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 11:46:50 AM »
 ;) On my 45-75 Cimmie, I put on a Marbles rear sight base and on it I put on a Lyman rear sight that has adjustable aperatures.  For the front Sight, I just put on a tad bit of white paint on the back.  That helps me old eyes as a black front sight on a black bull is sort of hard to see.  That way, "Old Tight-Pockets" as my son refers me to don't have to put on a new front sight but I got an old Sheard front sight on my Home-made Hawken rifle that I might try one of these days if it don't quit snowin and blowin that is.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 08:54:11 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the HMS Gun Parts series 58 sights?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 10:01:54 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the HMS Gun Parts series 58 sights?

Got a link? :)
GAF

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 12:19:30 AM »
www.hmsgunparts.com

I didn't find them there, though.  They have an ad in the February Chron.

I've sent them an e-mail asking for details and prices.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 03:04:39 PM »
www.hmsgunparts.com

I didn't find them there, though.  They have an ad in the February Chron.

I've sent them an e-mail asking for details and prices.

Thanks, Forty Rod.  They show the 58A and 58B on their website.  $975!! :o

Pretty neat looking sights, but too rich for my blood! :)
GAF

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 05:40:24 PM »
Wouldn't you think for that price they'd post some decent pictures and a list of details for us to use in deciding?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com