Author Topic: Historic Photos/GAF weapons  (Read 205684 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Historic Photos/GAF weapons
« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
Here's a picture of a USN landing party from the USS South Carolina (BB26) during the 1914, occupation of Vera Cruz, Mexico.  Notice the "coffee dyed" hats, and US Marine uniform items (?) sported by the these Bluejackets.

It was a great time to an American!

Swabbie lying on deck front right . . .  now why am I reminded of "The Sand Pebbles"? ;)
(I think this was alluded to in an earlier post.)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #301 on: October 17, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »
And yes Jack, a MKIII Ross is allowed in any EEM sidematch.
Even so the question remains, "Why would anybody want to use a rifle that is only slightly better than a broom?"  ;D

I ran onto this thread a while back and found it interesting and thought it should be brought back to life.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #302 on: October 17, 2013, 01:48:20 PM »
I ran onto this thread a while back and found it interesting and thought it should be brought back to life.

Glad you did.

Swabbie lying on deck front right . . .  now why am I reminded of "The Sand Pebbles"? ;)
(I think this was alluded to in an earlier post.)

RCJ
Because he looks so much like Steve McQueen maybe?

Advertising

« Reply #303 on: Today at 10:13:30 AM »

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #303 on: April 15, 2014, 08:00:13 PM »
Found some real gems today with which to resurrect this thread .... the captions on the original images (possibly magic lantern slides) indicate that this is a party from U.S.S. Boston doing land and riot drills at the Brooklyn Navy Yard.  I understand that the rifles are the Model 1879 Remington-Lee ....

First up: thumbnail links to the original images as posted in my PhotoBucket albums.  Don't forget to exercise all options offered to get a larger version (usually a little "magnifying glass" icon at bottom right) until you get to the full-size images (each about 2000 pixels wide) to see some great detail ....

Some details cropped from the above images -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #304 on: April 16, 2014, 07:15:02 AM »
Great find, Grant!  Having had some experience with riot control training, I'll bet those perfect formations didn't maintain that level of precision once they made contact with the "enemy"!  Great pictures!  (I keep hoping someone in our group will portray a sailor from that period.)
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #305 on: April 16, 2014, 06:51:28 PM »
Marines always want a sailor or two around.  Its a calming influence.  Also so someone can tell them where the stri . . ah, bars are, and how to get back to the ship . . .
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #306 on: April 16, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »
OF COURSE we always want a sailor or two around!  We refer to them as Corpsmen!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: April 16, 2014, 09:17:30 PM »
OF COURSE we always want a sailor or two around!  We refer to them as Corpsmen!

I suspect that Royal Marines refer to sailors as "Honey" .... with the abolishment of both rum and the lash from Nelson's famous triumvirate of naval traditions, there's only one thing left ..... 

;D
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: April 16, 2014, 10:17:21 PM »
  (I keep hoping someone in our group will portray a sailor from that period.)
That time period's too expensive for me. Can't afford a Remington Lee, or a Lee straight pull either. A genuine Navy Rolling Block would probably be a real strain. But I do have an '03, and there's the Expansion Era.........

Offline HOROLOGIST007

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #309 on: November 03, 2014, 03:44:57 PM »
German Marine around 1880 with an M1871 Mauser black powder single shot bolt action.

Hi all
I study Horology, the study of time and timepieces.
Can you help confirm how you can date this picture to around 1880?  I lookud up the M1871, and it seemed to be in service from 1872–1918 (Germany).
I am not looking for an exact date but 1880 +/- 2 or 3 years would be something great.
any help would be appreciated.

PS:  Great thread
adam

Offline HOROLOGIST007

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #310 on: November 03, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »
Now for those of you who might want to consider a somewhat more exotic GAF persona, here is a veritable potpourri

Japanese -

Infantryman -

Similar question to my one above, can anyone help date the Japanese soldier?  Boxer Rebellion??

Thanks.
Adam

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #311 on: November 03, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »
Grant posted the Japanese picture earlier in this thread.  Mighty proud of that watch I think!

The watchs are what date these photos. I believe that the wearing of what amounts to pocket watchs in wrist holders was something seem most often in the 1890s.  I believe both of these pictures have been attributed to the 1900 Boxer Rebellion/CHina Relief expedition.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #312 on: November 03, 2014, 04:57:22 PM »
Adam:

I posted the image of the Japanese soldier, which so far as I am aware, and based on the uniform and rifle, would indeed date to about the turn of the 20th Century - say the Boxer Rebellion ....

... or perhaps as late as the Russo-Japanese War of 1904/05 ....

I'll let Charles respond with whatever information he may have, but suspect that the dating of the photo of the German Marine is a guess at best.  The rifle is more likely to be a Model 1871/1884 Mauser (repeater) and, as I'm sure you are aware, Germany did not acquire wristwatches for its Navy (the first "issue" of such devices for military purposes) until about 1880 .... and even then, I understand they were intended primarily for use by officers ....

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: November 03, 2014, 04:59:43 PM »
Hmmm .... for some reason, my post was "hung up" for about 10minutes or so ( ..... I presume delayed while the system "fetched" my images ....) and that Drydock has replied to much the same effect in the meantime ....

Offline HOROLOGIST007

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #314 on: November 03, 2014, 05:02:38 PM »
Grant posted the Japanese picture earlier in this thread.  Mighty proud of that watch I think!

The watchs are what date these photos. I believe that the wearing of what amounts to pocket watchs in wrist holders was something seem most often in the 1890s.  I believe both of these pictures have been attributed to the 1900 Boxer Rebellion/CHina Relief expedition.
Thanks Drydock
The Japanese picture look good for Boxer rebellion so 1898 to 1900.

But on the German picture, Charles Issac did state 1880 based on that rifle.

the earliest confirmed picture I can 100% confirm with a Wristlet is 1888, there are claims of 1880, but I do not confirm that yet.

Could the German picture be prior to 1888?, any additional thoughts please

Thanks your help
adam

Offline HOROLOGIST007

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #315 on: November 03, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »
Hmmm .... for some reason, my post was "hung up" for about 10minutes or so ( ..... I presume delayed while the system "fetched" my images ....) and that Drydock has replied to much the same effect in the meantime ....

Hi
Thanks
I made a response prior to seeing yours
The Japanese picture of Boxer Rebellion is perfect so 1898 to 1900.
BUT
The German one, I would love to pin down to prior to 1888 or after (see my other reply)

I appreciate everyone's comments, and will (based on Horology) post some good pictures and dating
Thanks again
adam

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #316 on: November 03, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
Adam:

Somewhere, I have an article which gives some specifics of the German navy acquisition of wrist-mounted Swiss-made watches - with date, specifics of the manufacturer, and quantity if I recall correctly - but I can't find it right now!  I'll keep looking.

In the meantime, in case you haven't seen it, I do have a fairly lengthy article (text file only) entitled "Military Timepieces: Watches Issued to British Armed Forces 1870-1970" by A. Taylerson, published in the  'Horological Journal' Sept./Oct. 1995 (British Horological Institute).  If you'd like that, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the file.  It is in "WordPerfect" format, but if you think you won't be able to open it in that format, I can first convert it to Word or other more "universal" format ....

Offline HOROLOGIST007

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: November 03, 2014, 05:23:29 PM »
Adam:

Somewhere, I have an article which gives some specifics of the German navy acquisition of wrist-mounted Swiss-made watches - with date, specifics of the manufacturer, and quantity if I recall correctly - but I can't find it right now!  I'll keep looking.

In the meantime, in case you haven't seen it, I do have a fairly lengthy article (text file only) entitled "Military Timepieces: Watches Issued to British Armed Forces 1870-1970" by A. Taylerson, published in the  'Horological Journal' Sept./Oct. 1995 (British Horological Institute).  If you'd like that, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the file.  It is in "WordPerfect" format, but if you think you won't be able to open it in that format, I can first convert it to Word or other more "universal" format ....
That would be great.
I know of the "claim" that Girard Perregaux sold 2000 watches to the German navy in 1880, but trust me its just a myth perpetuated by Girard Perregaux.
They do not even have a picture of one of these 2000 reported pieces, only an artist impression.
I am sure the first conventional wristwatch with fixed lugs was Omega in 1902.
My passion and research is the beginning of the wristwatch.
does not mean I know it all, not at all, but I am researching it every day.

My email address is
adam007@gmail.com
I would be most grateful if you can send me your article, if I use any parts, I always give full acknowledgement.

I am currently a guest curator at the National watch and clock Museum, columbia USA.

please send your article
sincerely
adam

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #318 on: November 04, 2014, 09:17:46 AM »
R.J., Kind Sir,
Thank you for posting the pic above of the Japanese Military. I find it interesting that the two in the upper left are different in some respects, the one on the extreme upper left appears to be wearing a cover with a shiny wrap whilst the rest of the Troop does not. In addition the Trooper to his immediate right, the second from the top left, has what appears to be medals on his left chest with no apparent Officer distinction unless I missed it.
is it possible this is was a staged pic at a Military Academy since we see a younger person, a trainee perhaps, an and older person in uniform in the background down the hall? Any ideas?
Best regards and good researching!
'Ol Gabe

Offline HOROLOGIST007

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: November 04, 2014, 01:48:22 PM »
Adam:

Did you manage to mail that file?
Any update from Charles?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com