Author Topic: USFA Bisley models, Value?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Marshal5

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 10064
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USFA Bisley models, Value?
« on: June 11, 2022, 06:25:21 PM »
In about 2008 I had the opportunity to work for a week in the Hartford area. I called USFA and arranged to take a tour of the factory. I was met at the door by a gentleman named Gary who I believe was the manager. He took me around the operation showing each step of the process. At that time every part for the SAA except for one screw was made in house and they were planning to set up to make that screw also. I recall also seeing some of the lighting rifles in the factory.
At the end of the tour, Gary pointed out an elderly man at the handgun assembly area and told me he was a former employee of the Colt custom shop and had worked to teach many of the USFA employees.
At the end of the tour I told Gary that I would order a pair of Bisley USFA is he would see to it that they were fitted by the former Colt employee. I purchased a pair of Bisley Premium grade guns. Consecutive serial numbers (2600 range), they have a 4.5 inch barrel in 38 SPL. The guns have black plastic grips, bright blue and outstanding case color. The guns were shipped to Jim Finch at Long Hunter guns to polish up for SASS shooting. I shot them in two matches and they have been in the safe since. I find myself at a point where I need to consider selling some guns and might part with these. There is slight wear at the muzzle but other wise are in beauty Queen condition. I know that I had saved the boxes but for the life of me just can't find them.
I have never seen any other Bisley models from USFA but sure there are a FEW around. Any idea of the value of the guns?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: USFA Bisley models, Value?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 08:13:00 PM »
Spurious GAF and NCOWS numbers. Odd . . .
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Marshal5

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 08:42:28 PM »
River City John.
I just joined this web site but you can see from my SASS number that I have been shooting CAS for a few years now.
When I registered on this site the NCOWS and GAF numbers were filled in with the 150,000 number you see displayed.
I am not a member of NCOWS. What the heck is GAF?
Just a life member of SASS.
If this is a problem for the members here I can just leave the site.
Just was looking for hard to find information about USFA guns.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:23:37 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 10:14:37 PM »
I did not realize GAF and NCOWS numbers were automatically filled in by default. Doubly odd . . .

At least you were able to edit them out of the profile.

GAF = Grand Army of the Frontier     See forum The Barracks

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 10:48:57 PM »
Howdy M5, I don't know the answer to your questions but you are in the right place.  There are some very knowledgeable people here about the USFA's, and the Gary you mentioned is on here as well.  He may very well chime and I'll bet he remembers you!   :)

If you haven't yet, look through all the previous posts on this forum, might be some about Bisleys.

Offline Marshal5

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 09:02:00 AM »
Just thought that I would add a photo of the guns.
Have a good day!

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 10:46:48 AM »
From what I understand, all the Bisleys are Uberti parts guns. There were a few made and even some flat-top Bisley models. Not sure as to value, I see USFA's all over the place. Best advice is to start with a reasonable reserve and let the bidders decide. You're definitely going to get more than you paid for them.
SASS #81,827

Offline Marshal5

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 02:31:08 PM »
At the time I bought these directly from the factory they were making all of the guns with parts from the USA. As I recall Gary told me that was also true of the Bisley handguns I have.
Ther serial number range also matches guns made in the USA.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2022, 04:57:33 PM »
CraigC,

I don't think all Bisley guns are Uberti parts guns. Like Marshal5 has stated I think there were some that were all USA parts revolvers. I think I have seen a few on CB for sale in the past. I suppose I could be wrong, but Gary Granger would be the one to know for certain.

Here is a discussion about USFA Bisley guns from some time back that will fill you in on whether there are all USA parts Bisley revolvers.

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=56292.0

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Pangaea

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline what would you say

• Citizen
  • Too old to run like an outlaw..but ugly enough.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 12:12:10 AM »
The USFA Bisley model falls in the same boat as the standard single action model.   The Bisley model changed to the USA parts gradually in the same serial range as the single action .

A 26xxx serial range is definitely all USA parts, and USFA was at the top of its game during that timeframe also.   

The Uberti parts Bisley model vs the USA parts Bisley is very easy to tell to me, with or without the box.    Just like the standard model, the frame fit on Uberti parts will be very good, but not as seamlessly perfect fit as the USA .   There are quite a few differences. Some subtle , some more obvious.  Uberti usually has wood stocks, and if it does, the grip screw looks like a bellybutton to me.  Kinda sticks out.    :)

Value?
I mean, condition is always the most determining factor.  Rarity next,    Next is package complete and original?
All that said, I’ve been not watching too closely for a while, but it seems to me that folks will pay nearly
as much for a Uberti parts Bisley as they would a USA parts.   I don’t know if it’s because they don’t know the difference, or if it’s rare enough model that they don’t care.   
Either way, USFA prices  became  kind of hard to figure to me.     No references except how bad they want it almost. So prices can be all over the place, but mostly up these days.     I’d say a Bisley is north of $2K  on average.   Probably more if. Box complete and as new.     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com