Author Topic: Making 45-75 Winchester brass from .348 Winchester, 50AK, 50-90 sharps  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Bearskinner

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
As I have been unable to find 45-75 win brass, three donors have been acquired. All are too long, but poses heads that have converted into the needed brass. Steps are marking and cutting to length, de-burr, lube heavily and run thru sizing die, trim cases to length, final de-burr in and out. I’ve dropped them in the chamber ( unloaded ) and they seem to fit nicely.
“YOU CANT SHOOT A BIG ONE, IF YOU SHOOT A LITTLE ONE FIRST”

Offline Bearskinner

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Well so far, I have used 50AK successfully, and they cycle and chamber. I don’t have the 50-90 shell holder yet, so I’ll work on those next week. Light trail boss loads to play with once the rains stop.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
      Greetings!

Years ago, when I was working at the Gun Shop, we had acquired an estate, and all of the 'seconds' were piled on a skid in the middle of the warehouse. In the pile, I saw a big lever gun, and dug it out. It was a beat-up mid production Winchester Centennial, chambered for the .45-75-350, and I was allowed to name my price for it. It was missing its lever spring and rear sight; the spring came from "Mr. Winchester", and I installed a handy buckhorn rear sight that I had. I decided that .348WCF would be a good parent cartridge; Dad gave me a big handful of .348s that he had accumulated through the years, and after annealing and priming, I dropped a charge of Unique into each, followed by a wad of tissue, cornmeal, and another wad of tissue, with a dab of glue. For the most part, they fire formed well, and these I trimmed and cleaned up. I charged each case full with Pyrodex, and corked it all with a Lyman #457191. The pitted bore gave little hope of hitting anything, but actually, no coffee cans were safe out to thirty yards or so...
   One of the greatest joys of resurrecting vintage arms is the creation of its ammunition, and I'm delighted to see You doing that for yours!

M.T.M.
                    6-05-22

Advertising

Offline Bearskinner

• Citizen
  • Liked:
 Really enjoying working brass to create the new cartridges. I sent my 50-90 shell plate to Hornady to alter it to fit my Lock-n-load case trimmer. I’ll convert a few 50-90 brass and a few 348, to see which ones work the best.

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
If you find yourself needing to trim more cases, treat yourself to the mini 2 inch chop saw. Make a wood cradle for the case you are working with. You can cut a 100 accurately in nothing flat. Harbor freight and others have the saw for around $40

Offline Bearskinner

• Citizen
  • Liked:
I looked at those little chop saws, they look like an easy way to cut brass. I use a 4” sheet metal cut off wheel, that cuts really well, so for now the initial cut off is ok. It takes longer to get them trimmed up in the lock-n- load case trimmer, and then de-burred to load. I put 4 lightly loaded rounds in the side gate and they cycled and fired flawlessly, so I’m walking around with a big smile of satisfaction. A little slow going, but now I have the process all figured out. After I finish my fun tomorrow, I can make 20 more at least

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com