Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 761873 times)

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2009, 07:08:55 PM »
My Dad's overseas deployment was North africa as well. 19th Army engineers. he was present at the Battle of Kasserine Pass. Nasty business that one. he wouldn't talk about it................Buck 8) :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2009, 11:15:31 PM »
Ya sure that weren't Roo?

never got down there
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2009, 06:12:07 AM »
The 7th SPS was at Carswell.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 06:36:42 PM »

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2009, 08:09:38 AM »
Take a look at this..

Unbelievable film of WWII carrier landings

Here's an interesting story of Naval Aviation (the link is at the bottom). I do not know if the story is true, but the movie is an interesting glimpse of history. "Point of interest.. about 3 minutes 20 seconds into the clip, you will see an F6F Hellcat, it's hydraulics shot away during a strafing run, pancake on the carrier deck and slew into the island. A deckhand was crushed between the aircraft and the superstructure and killed. The number on the plane is 30.

The lanky pilot sitting dazed in the cockpit is a gentleman named Andy Cowan. He is hale and hearty at 87 and lives just north of Salinas , Ca. To this day he cannot recall this accident without a tear coming to his eye.

Andy is a marvel. He has absolute total recall of those bygone days. He is regularly invited back to the Naval War College to give a power point demonstration to the young fighter jocks of today's Navy. They hang on his every word. A living link to the past... to the days when you got up close and personal to kill the enemy. No over-the-horizon missile kills...

Andy was the longest serving Navy fighter pilot in WWII. He was on his shakedown cruise off Gitmo on December 7th, 1941. The carrier Ranger made flank speed to Norfolk and the pilots were transhipped to San Francisco by train, then sped to Hawaii by ship. He saw Pearl not long after the sneak attack, and again is unable to speak of it... a horrible disaster. He immediately went aboard the Lexington and in the course of the war had 4 carriers shot out from under him as he fought in every major Pacific battle... Coral Sea , Midway, Battle of Santa Cruz, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima ... you name it. Credited with 4.5 kills. Flew with Butch O'Hare, Cmdr Thatch (inventor of the 'Thatch Weave'), flew with high scoring ace David McCampbell... served under Admirals Nimitiz, Bull Halsey...

He has studied the Japanese side of the Pacific War and is a recognized expert on their side of it. He can reel off the names of all their capital ships and admirals and battles from memory.

Remarkable man... and still alive to tell the tale..."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7166330178234459087

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7166330178234459087
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2009, 09:04:04 AM »
I have been very fortunate to meet a lot of these WW2 aviators during my time in the CAF.    Tex Hill, Gabby Grabeski, Paul Tibbets, Bob Morgan, George Gay and others.  These old warriors are gems of History. One of the Moose's teacher friends father was one of the original "Black Sheep" ("Shifty Shiflett") who broke Pappy Boyington's leg one time when they were wrestiling in the O club.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2009, 11:35:21 AM »
One of my biggest regrets…………..

Grew up in a ‘hood that was full of WWII veterans. Mustered out, were happy ‘n stayed in Norfolk. Served in Europe, most in the Pacific. Pictures of ‘em as young men in uniform in every home. Mr. De Forge ‘n ‘Uncle’ Tommy were top drawer folks. I was closest them. All were fine people.

Never had the mind ta look ‘em in the eye ‘n thank ‘em for what they went thru for my dumb ass. Just never thought of it. I’m mighty sorry I didn’t. The opportunity is gone.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2009, 11:55:56 AM »
You can read about History from a bunch of Books, but being able to talk to those guys that are a living History is better than any book.  Our WW2 veterans are leaving us and the Korean War vets are not far behind.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2009, 01:19:27 PM »
Tommy was a Sea Bee. Mr. De Forge had a destroyer shot all ta hell.

J. Frank Owen was a Korean vet. The personification of a policeman. Werked hard at it but I couldn’t carry ‘is jock strap. He was born with sumthin’ I never had.

He’s still with us. The nice part ‘bout it is he’d chew my ass sumthin’ royal if he knew I said any of that. Wouldn’t be the first time.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
That was an intense video Sleep.  Thank you.

A mentor of my Dad's in football coaching was a guy named Fred or Frank Stroemier <sp?>  He was a Corsair pilot.  We used ta visit an eat dinner at his house once a year or so.  I was too little ta have a clue about the man and all the things he had done.  I think he may still be kickin, I'll have ta ask.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »
TLD, I envy you. I would've loved to talk with Gabby Gabreski, George Gay, or Tex Hill. Read about them since I was a kid. I believe Tex is still with us, History Channel program called "Dogfights" showed him about a year or so ago.......Buck 8) ;)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2009, 07:17:27 PM »
Buck, I'm sorry to say that he passsed away before Thanksgiving.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »
As far as I know, Gabby is the only one out of that group that is still alive.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2009, 11:39:55 AM »
Aww, man! :'(
 That makes a couple that were featured on Dogfights then. I believe Robin Olds died as well...........Buck 8)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2009, 01:44:20 PM »
Gen. Olds died in 2007, He had a combined total of 16 kills. He was a "triple ace".  He flew in WW2, Korea, and Nam.

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2009, 04:21:47 PM »
Joe Foss used to joke that he was also a Japanese ace, since he crashed five Wildcats on Guadalcanal. :D
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2009, 04:25:25 PM »
Joe has also passed away some time ago.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2009, 04:55:23 PM »
Joe is credited with 26 kills which was second only to "Pappy" Boyingon who is credited with 28.  Both of them received the Congressional Medal of Honor for their efforts.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »
Many moons ago I used to work flight line safety at the EAA Conventions in Oshkosh.  It was a lot smaller tan it is now, and a lot of us camped by a little grove of trees on the airport.  Always had a big bonfire, and everyone would sit around and swap stories.  Met Pappy, Bob Hoover and Chuck Yeager there, several years in a row.  Last saw Pappy, just before his death, when he was signing pictures at the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, CA.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2009, 08:27:25 AM »
Russ, I was out there in Chino back about 84 on a driving trip to LA. I enjoyed seeing that Japanese flying bomb that they have out there.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2009, 07:40:58 AM »
If you get the Military channel on your cable or dish, they have a program called "Great Planes".  The Museum at Da Beach is featured on the two episodes that I have seen this weekend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com