Author Topic: 1898 USMC Blue Flannel Field Shirt  (Read 10935 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
1898 USMC Blue Flannel Field Shirt
« on: November 28, 2009, 07:56:03 PM »
Hello!
     Does anyone have any good, detailed pictures that show the blue wool field shirt worn Marines in 1898?  They are so dark in the photos I have that I can't pick up any details.   Pictures of the blue trousers, especially the back, would be nice, too.  Thanks!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1898 USMC Blue Flannel Field Shirt
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:34:11 PM »
Hello!
     Does anyone have any good, detailed pictures that show the blue wool field shirt worn Marines in 1898?  They are so dark in the photos I have that I can't pick up any details.   Pictures of the blue trousers, especially the back, would be nice, too.  Thanks!

Try Here (a maybe):

http://www.usmchc.org/uniform.html

good luck

Yeti76620
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 05:50:25 PM »
Thanks!
     I don't know if they can help, but I'll get in touch with them and see.  Thanks again!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:33:04 AM »

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »
Here are some old Edison "Movies" of that time of troops filmed in 1898.
Save yourself some "headache" by having Quick Time Movie Player pre-installed and ready from the Apple.com site, I think that's the place.   Can't see much but moving 3D views are a bit more insightful.

http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/movies/006/006.htm

Have Fun,

Yeti76620
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:41:30 PM »
I found the information I needed on another forum.  When I get it all put together I'll post it.  River Junction said they can make it, but it won't be until after February.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 06:23:13 PM »
I found the information I needed on another forum.  When I get it all put together I'll post it.  River Junction said they can make it, but it won't be until after February.

Good luck, I've been waiting since early september for an army shirt from them!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:38:28 PM »
Yes, they said they're behind on Christmas orders, and then have to do inventory in January.  Fortunately, I'm not in any major hurry.  They've always been nice to deal with, for me anyway!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:08:41 PM »
Yes, they have been good to deal with, and they did get my campaign hat to me the day before I left for the Grand Muster.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 07:40:55 PM »
The detail of these shirts just does not show up at all in a B&W group photo.

I looked through all the Marine pictures I have from the Spanish American War era and finally got the electronic picture duplicator going. This is the best photo, and it wont tell us much about the shirts, but here they are (Marines! :D) in the Philippines with their beloved Krag Rifles!

Offline Sam Perfye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Al Weaver
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 09:10:44 AM »
Charles, Is that you in the front row holding the bugle? Maybe it's just your cover? Either way nice pic. Al.
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 12:48:19 PM »
Charles, Is that you in the front row holding the bugle? Maybe it's just your cover? Either way nice pic. Al.

Ha Ha! Here's some covers for you! Keeps that brim out of the way while you work the bolt

These Marines are back aboard the USS Columbia after intervention in Santo Domingo. How many bottles you suppose came back with them inside their haversacks?

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
The detail of these shirts just does not show up at all in a B&W group photo.

I looked through all the Marine pictures I have from the Spanish American War era and finally got the electronic picture duplicator going. This is the best photo, and it wont tell us much about the shirts, but here they are (Marines! :D) in the Philippines with their beloved Krag Rifles!

Printed backward?  I can't see for sure but the anchor on the emblem appears to be going the wrong way and one rifle (the only one I can see a bolt handle on) seems to have the bolt on the left.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 05:34:59 PM »
Printed backward?  I can't see for sure but the anchor on the emblem appears to be going the wrong way and one rifle (the only one I can see a bolt handle on) seems to have the bolt on the left.
It is indeed.  I've got a book that has the same picture printed the right way.  I've always liked this picture.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 09:14:20 AM »
Great pictures of the uniforms and the Krags.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 07:35:29 PM »
A few of those fellers look like they should enter a Lee VanCleef lookalike contest. ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 07:05:45 PM »
I think this may be what your looking for?

http://www.quartermastershop.com/1872_and_on_us_enlisted/m-1883_wool_issue_shirt.html
Hello!
    I''ve done quite a bit of research on this subject lately.  After reading the 1900 regulations on the blue wool flannel shirt, I couldn't see anything that referred to a collar.  The way the buttons were located, I figured it had a band collar that you would button the standing white linen collar, worn under the blouse, to.  At the very least, a collarless shirt is much more comfortable under the blouse.  It also said nothing about pockets, so I would guess it didn't have any.  I then joined a U.S. Militaria forum, and asked if anyone had an example of the shirt, or at least a photograph showing it, and I struck paydirt.  Two different people posted photographs of exactly the shirt described in the regulations.  I also found out that Marines were issued Army shirts in the Phillippines, and that ship's tailors made up shirts of other patterns, so you do see a lot of variations.  I'm certain, though, that their was an official pattern, and that it matched the regulations.  I'll ask the guys that posted the photgraphs if I can post the images here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com