Author Topic: Bisquick Mix  (Read 5815 times)

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bisquick Mix
« on: April 29, 2006, 08:15:13 AM »
I see a lot of recipes using Bisquick Mix.  Whats it made up of  ???   Can it be made from Scratch  ???  Wishbone-Ks

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Bisquick Mix
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 10:33:00 AM »
Tain't nuthin' but self-rising flour with some sort of palm oil that won't turn rancid and powdered milk.   Self-rising flour is just flour with the baking powder and salt added.   Self-rising flour dates to the late 1850's, my self I just carry baking powder, lard,  canned milk and salt along with flour.

So in simple, yes, just make biscuits.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 06:57:56 PM »
Thanks, Del.  I had a feeling thats was what it was. Wishbone-Ks

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:48:03 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 06:39:04 PM »
Terry Lane passed this on to me today, he used it during his many years as a Boy Scout leader, it is cheaper than store bought.

5 pounds all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups powdered milk
3/4 cup baking powder
1/2 cup sugar (optional)
3 tablespoons salt
2 pounds stick vegetable margerine

Mix the dry ingrediants in a bowl and cut in the margerine till it is  a uniform crumbly mix.  Store in a covered container at room temp.  Add what water is needed to make the desired consistancy of dough.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Bitterwheat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 01:12:30 PM »
Its not only good to make bisquits, but is real good to fry fish with. I soak my fish in beer for about two hours and then take some ritz crackers and rooll them out and add them to bisquik a little salt and pepper and roll the fish in it and fry in a cast iron skillet.  takes the fishy smell away when you soak them in the beer.. Try it you will like it  :)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 02:43:40 PM »
Terry Lane passed this on to me today, he used it during his many years as a Boy Scout leader, it is cheaper than store bought.

5 pounds all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups powdered milk
3/4 cup baking powder
1/2 cup sugar (optional)
3 tablespoons salt
2 pounds stick vegetable margerine

Mix the dry ingrediants in a bowl and cut in the margerine till it is  a uniform crumbly mix.  Store in a covered container at room temp.  Add what water is needed to make the desired consistancy of dough.
Margerine?!

On the other end of the scale, I made some biscuits the other day with sour cream thinned with water instead of milk. Outstanding!

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 03:22:06 PM »
Is the vegetable margerine not good either?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 06:19:59 PM »
Caught a show on the Food Network over the weekend.  Folks, dressed like us at a shoot, cookin' up stuf in cast iron over a fire.  Hell, one ole fella even had hot coals on the lid of a pot.

They showed some folks dumpin' out bis-kits they'd burned.  Seemed like a lot of 'em burnt up.  Didn't say much 'bout whut they wuz made up of.  I don't know nuttin' 'bout it but I wuz wonderin' how much difference lard, butter 'er the plastic stuff had ta do with the burnt ones.. or the ones whut weren't burnt.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 07:09:30 PM »
Is the vegetable margerine not good either?
Margerine is basically artificial fat. I don't know of any healthy substitute for butter, lard or other genuine ingredients. It will keep in your refrigerator for a looooong time. Hmmmmmmm, makes me wonder why. In addition, it doesn't taste the same or act the same when you use it. Heck, it won't even melt properly on toast. I won't eat the stuff. I don't have any colesterol problems and I eat butter as my only spread. Plastic cheese is another hedious product but I won't get into that now.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 07:18:57 PM »
Yes, I would use lard in a pre-made mix.  But that is how the Boy Scout Dutch Oven cook book lists it. ;D

Arcey, it was just lack of knowledge on controlin' the heat on the bottom.  I bake cinnamon rolls with lots of butter and brown sugar to make a gooey bottom, down and dirty in the bottom of the oven and have no problems.  But thats 20 years of experince. ;)

I do burn something once in a while, but it happens when I get to talkin' with folks answerin' questions most often. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 07:24:08 PM »
Arcey, got to thinkin', fly out here on the 31st of May or early in the mornin' on the 1st of June and ya can ride with me in my beat up old Ford Pick-up to this.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,9236.0.html

I'll even bake ya some sinnerman rolls, ya want them sourdough style. ;D

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 08:37:51 AM »
Appreciate the offer, Del.  Thinkin' my arms would give out on me if I tried ta fly ta Nebrasky - getti... gotten old.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 04:18:37 PM »
Arcey, What you seen on Food Network was the World Championship Chuck Wagon Cookoff fron Ruidosa, N.M. held each year in Oct. That show is a couple of years old. People we know, Don & Shirley Cercy won it this Year (2005). I'll be seeing them this weekend in Windfield,Ks at Kanza Days. I been invited by "Host Chuckwagon" to help cook the Friday night meal. They feed all Chuck Wagon Crews setting up Fri. Nite for the Chuckwagon Cooking contest Sat, May6,2006  Wishbone-Ks

PS: Del I found some Champane yeast at a home brewing store in Wichita,Ks. Going to start new Sourdough starter when I get back from Winfield.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 06:11:33 PM »
Wishbone,

Have yerself a good ole time.  Looks like a bunch of fun.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 06:22:22 PM »
Pard, let me know how the starter works out for you.  Those have been the best starters I've ever played with.  (But when 95% of the bread you eat is sourdough can you call that playing?)

It sure solved some of the local problems with sourdough.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com