Author Topic: Period Correct Sport Type Drink  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Period Correct Sport Type Drink
« on: January 29, 2006, 04:31:41 PM »
OK they didn't call it that, but I found this a while back and it would work quite well.  Take some 1 quart barley water.  (Water that barley has been boiled in.)   1/4 cup vinegar or lemon juice and a tablespoon of molasses and a tablespoon of salt.  Ok, it might not taste as good as yer favorite fruit flavored wonder drink, but it would do the same thing.

BTW Mollasses has 300-350 mg potassium per table spoon. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Period Correct Sport Type Drink
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 07:00:38 PM »
Del, here a couple of my favorites                                                                                                                         No1; #3fingers of Jack Daniels over ice.                                                                                                                  No2  3 fingers of any vodka and add tonic water ;D
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Hemlock Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 10:20:43 PM »
This is an early energy drink for people working in hot weather before gatoraid and salt pills.  My mom used to make "water" for thrashers in hot weather.  It was simply a quart of very strong coffee in several gallons of cold pump water.  She told me that a person would not get sick drinking this mix and helped hard workers keep water in them. 

Mike

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:21:54 AM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 10:42:27 PM »
This one looks like a good one. I'll have to try it. Sounds really great.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 06:41:06 PM »
Quick Fire, Don't tell that Ex-Corpman pard of mine yer using that when yer workin' hard in hot weather, he has threatened to shoot my coffee pot a time or two.  Mumbles something about dieretics, dehydration and some special thermometer he'll use on me if he thinks I'm having a heatstroke. :o
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 11:46:46 PM »
I sometimes take a few bottles of "mugicha" to our monthly matches.  After a hot day of shooting, an ice cold bottle of the stuff really hits the spot.  It's a tea made from roasted barley and is real common here.   All our Oriental or Japanese specialty stores have it as well as most of our super markets.  I suppose this could be used as barley water?

Oh yeah.  I went shooting this weekend and am feeling better.  ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 07:04:10 PM »
The acid in the coffee quenchs the thirst and keeps one from becoming sick.  It does not add the electolites.  The barley water, salt and mollasses do.  So the extras make it a bit better although folks ate more salt than many do today.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 01:12:47 PM »
I just recently found out that sunflower seeds are great to munch on in the heat.  David's are best.  If you get the salted roasted ones then you get the salt, plus magnesium AND Maganese as well as a ton of other vitamins and minerals.

Good food!
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com