Author Topic: Recipies for Cherokee Jem  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Recipies for Cherokee Jem
« on: December 31, 2005, 03:44:15 PM »
No I'm not going to cook him. ;)  I had a PM from him when I got home, he's all healed up from his accident this summer and he's shooting again.  Well he's got this lady that he shoots with that I think he kind of likes, ;) and he wants some easy to fix recipes to make for her cause he knows that it ain't just men you can reach trough their stomach.  Many of the simple ones I do, i really don't have recipeds for but just make.  He's looking for stew and such cause I think he's thinkin' crockpot, the modern Dutch Oven. ;D

Well he's in luck today cause I begged the ham bone from my mother on Christmas and was awake early this mornin'.  Taught my 4 month ould grandaughter who was also awake how to sort and soak beans. ;D  So it's ham and beans today.

1 pound dry beans.  (type often varies with the region and what grandma used)

Sort out the rocks, dirt clods and deformed beans.  Rinse and allow to soak in water for a few hours, rinse again ahd cover with water.  Add the ham bone and bring to a boil, simmer for several hours and add water as needed.  The amount of water depends on if you want ham and beans or beans soup.  The soup needs crackers to fit on a fork. ;D  Add salt and pepper as desired, Often no salt is needed if the ham has enough in it.

Often folks add chopped celary or carrots to it.  I do if I have them on hand, but not today, was to lazy to go to the store this morning. 

For a crockpot put on high for a couple of hours and then turn on low, I used my large cast iron pot, but either way the are ready when the beans get very soft an the meat fall off the bone and can be stirred in.  They've been on since 10 am this morning and my wife just ate a bowl and said they were good.  Me I'm going to let them go a couple more hours and mosey to the store for some hunny.  I think some cornbread is needed.  Recipe later. ;D

If a ham bone is not handy one can use ham steak or ham hocks, one can even use bacon instead, remember the song "It's bacon and beans most every day, I'd a soon be eatin' ol' prairie hay!"

Some smoked hog jowls will also work, but I like mine done up with black-eyed-peas. (Not the music group) But it all works the same and is good cheap food, leftovers can last for daysand even taste better the next day.  Or by using canning salt one can can them and have leftovers for a couple of years. (see  Salt, Iodized and not thread.)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Recipies for Cherokee Jem
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 07:06:08 PM »
Most folks want some cornbread with their ham and beans so here is one way, you decide if you want white or yellow mean and if ya want sweetner in it.

1 1/2 cups corn meal
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 egg beaten
1 12 oz can of milk
1 tablespoon of melted lard
2 tablespoons of sweetner (sugar, brown sugar, honey or mollasses opitional)

Mix flour, cornmeal and baking powder plus the salt in a bowl.  Beat the egg, add the milk and the lard together.  Put the sweetner in with the dry or wet ingds. depending on which it is.  Mix the wet with the dry and pour into a 12" greased skillet.  Put in a pre-heated 400 degree oven.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until browned nicely.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 06:46:43 PM »
How bout a beef stew for the lady Jem

Beef Stew

2-3 pounds of stew meat (beter and cheaper if you buy a roast and cut it up.)

Brown in a bit of olive oil or lard.

Add about a quart of water and an onion cut up, a few cut up potatoes and carrots. Put in some celary if ya got it.  One can add a couple cans of 'maters if desired but add a bit less water.  Salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 2 or so hours.  Mix a 2-3 tablesppons of flour with enough water to make it pourable and add, stirring quickly and fast.  Turn up the heat to the boiling poit, turn off heat, it will thicken as it cools.  Simple, goes well, we made 22 quarts of it at the GAF Muster and there were no leftovers.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:04:52 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com