Author Topic: Edges 101  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
Edges 101
« on: January 04, 2006, 11:11:32 AM »
I have been reasonably happy with the holsters I have made, except for the edges. I typically sand and burnish with a piece of antler, and the main seam is fine, but the throat edges looks pretty amateur. Anybody know of a tutorial on making professional edges? I know, it starts with a good, clean cut.

Offline icdux1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Edges 101
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 09:11:56 AM »
i edge mine and slick with a nylon slicker from tandy, i also use the black edge coat as i think it contrast nicely with the dark tan outside,natural lining and the white thread stiching.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 11:56:19 AM »
I have a spindle shaped slicker made out of lignum vitae that gets chucked into my 1/4" drill. It has several different width grooves in it that really makes a smooth edge. Can't recall where I got it, though. I just did a search online and still couldn't find it. Second choice would be my short piece of cotton firehose.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:35:57 AM »

Offline Judge Lead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 06:01:54 PM »
Marshal,
You could try a piece of white canvas (say 6-8 ounce, doesn't have to be heavy) instead of the hose based stuff and use Gum Tragacanth. This adds a burnish to the overall finish

I tend to use the nylon stick and water as the 1st part of the slicking process. When that is smooth enough, I go onto the canvas slicking.
I also use a mixture of beeswax/parrafin wax/lambs fat as a sealer/preservative. The ratios would be in the order of 50/30/20 by weight Depends on how I feel at the time. You might also try a sample using candle wax. With the above mix, the lambs fat preserves and the waxes polish and seal.
The major thing with all this is to get some heat built up.

See how ya go.

Regards
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 09:55:45 PM »
Good tips, there, Judge. I've used beeswax and had fairly good results with that. I like your formula. I'll try it. Thanks.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Kid Cavalier

• Have Cards Will Travel
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Kid Cavalier
  • SASS #: 35602
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 01:54:06 AM »
I have found that many materials that are SLIGHTLY abrasive work very well after the edge has been dampened.
I use canvas gloves, I can apply enough preasure without having to worry about losing the material.

(Always bevel your edges)
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com