Author Topic: Point of Aim/Point of Impact  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Point of Aim/Point of Impact
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:45:46 AM »
Friends and Neighbors,

As some of you might know, I recently bought Irish Dave's "extra" Laramie in .45 Colt.  I've had it to the range a couple of times, and it appears to be an accurate revolver.  I've tried it with 250gr .45 Colt and 230gr .45 Schofield ammo, and they both share a common problem: point of impact is 10-12" above point of aim at 25 yards!  I know Dave sighted it in for his favored 200gr loads, so I ordered a replacement front sight from VTI, just in case he shortened the front sight very much.  Well, the front sight came it, and it appears to be the same height as the sight that it already installed.  Aside from doing some MAJOR carving on the rear sight or installing a custom front sight that is 1/8" taller than factory, does anyone have any suggestions?  I have some 200gr bullets on hand, and am waiting for my dies to show up.  Once they do, I will start playing with some Trail Boss loads and see where they land.....
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Point of Aim/Point of Impact
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 01:04:16 PM »
Heavier bullets generally strike higher.  Try 200s and even 180s.  If they still shoot high I would simply make a new front sight rather than file on the factory rear sight.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »
I generally shoot 200 gr bullets, in the 45, and they shoot pretty much on at CAS ranges.  I use 200 or 215 gr in the 44 Russian, and they shoot to PIO as well.  The breaktop is a problem if the windage is off, as you can't rotate the barrel, but would have to make a new front sigh biased left or right, or mess with the rear sight.  The Laramie's rear sight can be changed for windage.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:27:58 PM »

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »
Mossyrock:

You're right, pard, it is an accurate revolver.
I never bothered the front sight at all. So, no surprise the new front sight blade is the same height as the old one.
If you're shooting high, you need either a taller front or a lower rear.
As I recall, there is still a lot of rear sight blade on that Laramie that can be carefully filed down farther to lower your POA-POI. Just make sure you file on the blade and not the rest of the assembly (besides, if you happen to mess up, blades are pretty cheap).  ;) You may also want to deepen the notch in the blade as well.

You might try the 200 grainers, though, before gettin' out the files....  :)
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 07:52:26 PM »
Hello Mossyrock

I would sugest you stay with the same load that Irish Dave uses, and you'll be fine, using a 250 or 255 grain bullet is going to cause you to have to aim 10 to 12 inches below yor target in order to hit POI, this is normal with the 45 long Colt, we just discussed this on an other forum, back in the day when Cowboys and gunfighters bought only store bought ammo, they were full house loads, and when in gun fights or shot distances even out to 25 yd, depending also on the gun and barrel length, it was a common practice to aim at a mans pant belt buckle or in that area of the stomach , doing so usually would put the bullet in the chest area, This is perfectly NORMAL, if you want your POA and your POI to be closer or the same , you need to reduce the weight of your bullet, or reduce the FPS TO ABOUT 550/600 WITH A 250 GRAINER, the easiest way is to shoot the reduced cowboy loads, lighter bullets, and less powder, or if it means that much to you , you can have a gunsmith put a much higher front site on your gun, hopefully it will be high enough, so that if anything you will have to take a little off or not at all. hope this helped. ???

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Beans

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 10:30:02 PM »
If you have to replace the front sight determine what height is required then find a 1880's series dime and have it cut to the same height. be sure when cutting it the date can be seen.

Abundant style points ;D

IIRC dimes were used to replace the front sight in the late 1880 if it was required.

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:19:24 AM »
Mossyrock:

You're right, pard, it is an accurate revolver.
I never bothered the front sight at all. So, no surprise the new front sight blade is the same height as the old one.
If you're shooting high, you need either a taller front or a lower rear.
As I recall, there is still a lot of rear sight blade on that Laramie that can be carefully filed down farther to lower your POA-POI. Just make sure you file on the blade and not the rest of the assembly (besides, if you happen to mess up, blades are pretty cheap).  ;) You may also want to deepen the notch in the blade as well.

You might try the 200 grainers, though, before gettin' out the files....  :)

Dave,

I have 500 200 grainer sitting on the bech as I type this...I'm just waiting for reloading dies! ;D  If you feel so inclined, you might PM me the load you were using in this little beast....
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 08:20:35 AM »
If you have to replace the front sight determine what height is required then find a 1880's series dime and have it cut to the same height. be sure when cutting it the date can be seen.

Abundant style points ;D

IIRC dimes were used to replace the front sight in the late 1880 if it was required.

That's the plan!! ;D
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 02:19:56 PM »
Mossyrock:

Sent you a PM.

Been thinking about replacing my front sight with a period coin as well, but have had a bit*h of a time tapping out the front sight pin. Any suggestions?
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 05:23:35 PM »
Mossyrock:

Sent you a PM.

Been thinking about replacing my front sight with a period coin as well, but have had a bit*h of a time tapping out the front sight pin. Any suggestions?

Yeah, that front sight pin is a ROYAL pain.  I haven't gotten mine out yet either...and dinged things up a bit in the process  :-[ :P :'(  I REALLY don't want to have to drill this thing out!!
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com