CAS TOPICS > Gun Reviews

What are my 38/40 38WCF Rifle options?

(1/5) > >>

Black River Smith:
I need/want a 38/40 rifle with a 24" octagon barrel.  I do not need brand new.  Don't want to give $1200 to $1600 for a Uberti new, I might as well then look for an original.  So..........

Besides an original Winchester '73 & '92, what are my replica options and from whom?  Also, opinions on best places to look.

I really would like this rifle to be an 1892 model but I do not know if any replica's (Rossi) ever offered a 38WCF chambering.

Being the oddist of the calibers what are my chances of finding one.  I know my local area does not have a selection.

Thanks

Martini450:
Not sure if they still offer it, but Chiappa made that exact configuration (Octagon 24" Model 1892) in 38 WCF a few years ago.  I handled one in Taylor's showroom eight or nine years ago, and almost bought it.  Ended up going with the same rifle in 44 WCF instead, as I already had dies and moulds in that calibre.  Very nice rifles, both of them.  I'm still happy with the one I brought home.

Trailrider:
I think Marlin (the original) chambered one of their leveraction rifles in .38-40 (they called it that so as not to advertise Winchester's term, .38 WCF).  Can't recall the model Marlin.

Advertising:

Dave T:

--- Quote from: Trailrider on March 23, 2021, 11:53:06 AM ---I think Marlin (the original) chambered one of their leveraction rifles in .38-40 (they called it that so as not to advertise Winchester's term, .38 WCF).  Can't recall the model Marlin.

--- End quote ---

I believe it was the original 1894 Marlin, which chambered all the WCF pistol length cartridges but re-named them the 44-40, the 38-40, and the 32-20.

Dave

Black River Smith:

--- Quote from: Martini450 on March 22, 2021, 09:01:12 PM ---Not sure if they still offer it, but Chiappa made that exact configuration (Octagon 24" Model 1892) in 38 WCF a few years ago.  I handled one in Taylor's showroom eight or nine years ago, and almost bought it.  Ended up going with the same rifle in 44 WCF instead, as I already had dies and moulds in that calibre.  Very nice rifles, both of them.  I'm still happy with the one I brought home.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the lead.  I checked Taylor's website, it appears they do not offer the 38/40 as an option.  I would hate to spend $1500 then another $500 to line it to 38/40.  I would do this to a Rossi at $700 or used pricing.

I have checked all the gun selling sites and while they have some listings, they are priced out of my league.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version